SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/05/01/daily19.html

Will this entice any of you to visit Southpark this fall to visit these stores? Speaking, of course, to the residents of the respective metros of the Triangle, The Triad, Columbia, Greenville, Asheville, Myrtle Beach, etc. Considering that after these new stores open, Southpark will have these stores unique to the Carolinas, among others:

Neiman Marcus
Louis Vuitton
Kate Spade
Joseph-Beth
Tiffany's
Frontgate
Burberry
St. John
Steve Madden
Ralph Lauren
Hermes
BCBG Max Azria
Cole Haan Women's
Sur La Table
Mont Blanc (Exclusive to NC, though there is a store in Charleston)

I'm sure that certan people would be willing to drive for many miles upon miles for a store that they like. I'm just curious if this applies to anyone on this forum.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I'd think that people from Charleston would be less willing to drive, since they have their own upscale collection of stores (although Charlotte has some that Charleston doesn't). I'd be willing to bet that these stores would primarily draw Columbians, Upstaters, and Triadites outside of the Charlotte metro.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
hell no.

-

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I figured forumers from Charleston and the Raleigh metro might be less willing to go that far when they already have at least some luxury retail, but seeing as how all of the stores I mentioned except for Mont Blanc are unduplicated in both Cackalackies, that's enough of a draw for some. I know of people that will drive all the way from the Outer Banks to ATL for stores like Bloomingdale's, A/X, French Connection, etc. It's just a bug for some (Including me... Thank god Southpark has a Nordies so I can get my fix of Armani polos. :rofl: )

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I would only be interested in taking photos of the area. Sorry, but I am more intrested in shopping at bookstores, music stores and photo equipment shops ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
At least will likely mean less of a need for SC & NC residents to drive to Atlanta for their high dollar consumer-whoring. I can recall around prom season it was the usual for the upper class Rock Hill parents to drive their daughters to Atlanta to buy a dress & get their hair done.

At least Charlotte is a closer option for them...

·
Registered
204 Posts
No, not a shopper for those stores. It won't be long until some of those end up in Raleigh. Does Charlotte have a Saks? It appears that clothing companies all use Raleigh or Charlotte as a test market and then within a year or so add another store in the other city.

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
them moving in does not mean that people are going to drive there to shop. there may be a few people that go there (then again, they only need a few people to make a giant proffit). most of the people that are not within the south park area or the southern areas of charlotte are not going to have the money needed to shop at some of these places. myself included. :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cary NC said:
No, not a shopper for those stores. It won't be long until some of those end up in Raleigh. Does Charlotte have a Saks? It appears that clothing companies all use Raleigh or Charlotte as a test market and then within a year or so add another store in the other city.
I agree it only make sense to do that.....................putting these stores in the two largest cities in the state

·
Capital City
202 Posts
I probably wouldn't drive to Charlotte for any of these stores in particular, but if I were in town I'd definitely stop by and check them out.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was down there last weekend, didn't make it to the mall but went to PF Changs at Phillips Place (lot's of eye candy). Definitely one of the nicer areas in the Carolinas and the South.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hell no...I don't like any of those stores and I wouldn't drive an hour from Columbia for them with gas $3 a gallon if I did. lol

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
TheCharlottean said:
I know of people that will drive all the way from the Outer Banks to ATL for stores like Bloomingdale's, A/X, French Connection, etc.
From the Outer Banks to Atlanta? Isn't DC closer???

·
Registered
349 Posts
krazeeboi said:
It should be. Anyway, I'm not a person who likes shopping, so I wouldn't go to Charlotte for that. I usually go down there just to hang out uptown most of the time.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
krazeeboi said:
Yep, quite a bit closer. I also thought that was weird. From the Outer Banks to Atlanta is a LONG drive. I know that north Raleigh residents can drive to DC in about 4 hours....From the Outer Banks to Atlanta has got to be around 8 hours or so. The Outer Banks to DC is less than 4 hours.

Anyways, I'm not much of a shopper and am perfectly fine buying my clothes at regular stores; Khol's, JCPenny, etc.

I am sure there are some yuppies from the Triad/Western NC and Upstate SC that would drive to Charlotte for those stores, but I wouldn't expect droves of them.......

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cary NC said:
No, not a shopper for those stores. It won't be long until some of those end up in Raleigh.
In department stores, yes, but as far as luxury boutiques like the ones I listed, don't count on it. Despite the fact that Charlotte and Raleigh both have affluent citizens, Raleigh just simply can't compare to Charlotte in both population and density (Charlotte is twice the size of Raleigh, and by most estimates from low to high the Metrolina area has at least 500,000 more people than the Triangle). I realize that many Raleighites take great pride in their getting Saks before Charlotte, but it's not really a fair comparison, considering that that and Lord & Taylor are the only stores exclusive in the Carolinas to the Raleigh area, while there are at least 12 that I listed that are both exclusive to Charlotte and have no plans on the table to open anywhere else in the Cackalackies in the near future. I'm not dissing Raleigh, but despite the fact that it has its share of affluent shoppers, it can't compare in total population to the Charlotte metro, and many upper-tier boutiques are more concerned with regional population figures than overall wealth (Which is why neither city has an Armani Exchange, but plenty of South Floridian smaller cities like Palm Beach have it or similar boutiques, because of just how populated the Florida peninsula is), since the margin of profit on boutiques is usually much tighter than on department stores (due mostly to the fact that it's much easier to window-shop or just browse in Sisley than in Macy's). Bottom line, I'm not surprised that Raleigh has Saks and got Nordstrom first, but that doesn't mean Louis Vuitton, Burberry or the big boys of the boutique world have any plans to show some love to the capital in the next few years.

Cary NC said:
It appears that clothing companies all use Raleigh or Charlotte as a test market and then within a year or so add another store in the other city.
I'd actually have to agree with you on that one if you only mean department stores. Sometimes, it seems like retailers do use Metrolina and The Triangle to play anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better. Case in point:

Nordstrom- the store in Charlotte opened within two years of the one in Durham, and both are exactly the same size
Saks and Neiman Marcus- Both considered on the middle of the luxury totem pole (Above Nordies, but below Barney's or Bergdorf's), both have one store in one city in NC, both are also exactly the same size
Macy's- It will swallow and rebrand Hecht's stores in both cities in the same upcoming time frame, and all signs point to them bringing the same selection and quality of merchandise to both.

I'm sure there are more examples, but I don't know them offhand. While, like I said, most upscale boutiques aren't interested in Raleigh because of its considerably lower population than Charlotte, I think department stores would show equal interest in Trenton and Tokyo if they both targeted their core demographic. The difference in corporate strategy is mind-blowing.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Uh oh......looks like this will be a pissing match between Raleigh and Charlotte.
It is so weird how people from those 2 cities don't get along. :runaway:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
It's only a matter of time before some of these stores start scouting the Triangle; the area is growing like mad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
thecharlottean, i have to agree with you to an extent, however i do see some of the lower highend boutiques coming to Raleigh. Like Charlotte, the affluent demographic tends to be more of the settled down type and older, thus why stores like kate spade, kenneth cole, burberry, and cole haan were attracted to the charlotte market. i could see those stores coming to the triangle, cole haan already has a store at southpoint, and kate spade and kenneth cole have huge departments at crabtree's belk.

plus since lacoste has opened its first boutique in the triangle, the store has gained major attention, which is a good indicator for the lesser of the high end brands. the most expensive boutiques i see could be burberry or even a ralph lauren, which has huge sections in many dept. stores in the triangle.

it may take some time, but i do see the triangle having high end boutiques, and could support more.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts