Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Link to story

Of course, this list is probably more sensational than factual, but it's still sort of entertaining.

Forbes predicts that by 2100, the following cities might be abandoned or substantially smaller due to various catastrophes:

Banjul, Gambia ('Rising sea levels and erosion')

Banjul

Detroit, US ('Population flight')

Ivanovo, Russia ('Population flight')

Mexico City, Mexico ('Lack of drinking water and sinking')

Naples, Italy ('Volcanic eruption')

San Francisco, US ('Earthquake')

Timbuktu, Mali ('Desertification')

Venice, Italy ('Sinking')

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
haha, a grade 10 could have compiled that list...detroit? mexico city? you gotta be kidding me...both of their problems are easily fixable, wtf.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Easily fixable? If they really were easy, they'd have been fixed by now. Mexico City and Detroit have some social inequality problems that if not dealt with soon, could result in some major, major, repercussions. By no means do I believe they'll turn into ghost towns because I'm confident in due time that their problems will be worked out, but I think saying these problems are easily fixable is a shortsighted comment.

·
!eccentric!
762 Posts
This is creepy! Hope this doesn't happen. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Why do these studies always pick on Detroit. Even if Detroit's populaton dropped to 600,000 it would still have more people in its geographic boundaries than cities of comparable size. Detroit is 139 sq. mi. Atlanta (132 sq. mi.) and Denver (153 sq. mi.) are two major cities that are comparable in size to Detroit. Atlanta only has about 420,000 people. Denver only has about 550,000 people. Sure Detroit is losing people (though the population loss has slowed since the 60's and 70's) but it would be ridiculous to call Detroit a ghost town because it only has 600,000 people instead of 1.8 million people.

And even still, Detroit and its inner-ring suburbs have a population of 3 million people in an area the size of Houston. Only New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Miami, and Washington have more people in a comparable area. Though, the population of that area has declined since the 70's, I highly doubt an urban center of 3 million in a region of 6 million people is going to become a ghost town.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
I'm not sure about Detroit, either, as eventually, it will hit bottom and like magic developers will start rediscovering it as a sort of 'suburb of its suburbs'. We're seeing some of that effect in parts of Chicago (ie, the Kenwood area).

Other cities that I do wonder about include Phoenix, AZ (water uncertainty, ditto a few others in the southwest like Las Vegas, NV), New Orleans (it continues to sink and what's to say that the next Cat 5 will weaken slightly and turn slightly east at the last moment like the last one), and many in the Middle East (water uncertainties as well as oil depletion).

I am also wondering about some of the overpopulated places in India, Bangladesh, China and elsewhere in Asia.

Mike

·
Registered
物の哀れ
27,046 Posts
Just watch it could happen tomorrow and for more cities in danger (though just American ones because its in weather channel)

·
I love my life
Cuyi Lastrassi
15,034 Posts
I worry about LA as well. I hear the San Andreas fault is due to have a major quake in a few yrs.

·
Banned
192 Posts
I cannot understand why my POST was deleted.

I put Chinese yellow sand and a Japanese image (by NASA) affected by a pollutant. Because the reason is because it is concerned with not only the China but also earth whole and survival of the human.

A topic of a high-rise building is important, and I like it, too.
Similarly an environmental problem is the times that are more serious matters.

I send an email to a manager of SkyscraperCity and hear a deleted reason.
manager will understand it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 20 of 28 Posts