Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...cars-as-chow-tackles-housing/article19464448/

Toronto campaign trail: Ford wants to ‘phase out’ streetcars as Chow tackles housing
ANN HUI AND ELIZABETH CHURCH
The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jul. 04 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Last updated Friday, Jul. 04 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

As Toronto Mayor Rob Ford campaigned on the radio Friday morning – repeating many of his talking points over substance abuse and promising to rid the city of streetcars even while admitting he might not be able to do it – his rival Olivia Chow unveiled her affordable housing policy.......

read it all here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...cars-as-chow-tackles-housing/article19464448/

·
BriniaSona
96 Posts
the Streetcars on T.O. are unique, phasing them out for money saving crap would be stupid, if anything, invest in expanding thier network.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
He only wants to phase them out because he gets stuck behind them while commuting to and from work. I get the frustration behind streetcars, but given that we just bought $700 million worth of them and the fact that we'd have to buy numerous buses to replace them with, I don't see the appeal. Streetcars are an iconic image of Toronto and I wouldn't want that to be erased.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
There was actually a motion this week at the executive committee to convert a hydro corridor into a park in Cesar Palacio's ward, which apparently is the most park-deficient in the city. Ford naturally voted against it, stating "don't we have enough parks in this city?" The man is so anti-environment and anti-transit it still amazes me that he has quite a bit of support. I just wonder if he thinks Toronto would be better if all of it looked like Etobicoke.

·
2,714 Posts
He only wants to phase them out because he gets stuck behind them while commuting to and from work. I get the frustration behind streetcars, but given that we just bought $700 million worth of them and the fact that we'd have to buy numerous buses to replace them with, I don't see the appeal. Streetcars are an iconic image of Toronto and I wouldn't want that to be erased.
Not just the buses but the garages and a maintenance facility. We're looking at a minimum of 450 buses and probably closer to 600 by the time we actually found money; that's a massive number to add.

It would cost around $1B just in capital (minimum of 2 large garages at $250M each, and looking to start a 3rd very soon; MTA and TTC average 200 buses per garage). Operating costs would also increase substantially (600 additional drivers?)

King may be able to take the crown for busiest non-BRT bus route away from MTA's B46 (roughly 55k passengers per day). Finch is close, but King should be well over. Of course, the B46 is being considered for an LRT upgrade (on Utica Ave as a operating expense savings exercise) by MTA; perhaps we could swap equipment?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was actually a motion this week at the executive committee to convert a hydro corridor into a park in Cesar Palacio's ward, which apparently is the most park-deficient in the city. Ford naturally voted against it, stating "don't we have enough parks in this city?" The man is so anti-environment and anti-transit it still amazes me that he has quite a bit of support. I just wonder if he thinks Toronto would be better if all of it looked like Etobicoke.
In the past decade, how many times has this incompetent nincompoop actually voted "YES"? I don't think he even understands 95% of the bills that he votes on; he doesn't have to. "NO" is his default vote.
The man has ZERO vision for our city. He has taken Toronto no where. All he does is cut down on the number of pencils at City Hall and pretend that he has "saved money", and equally mentally deficient voters gullibly believe anything and his brother say. How sad is that?

·
Someone reads this?
802 Posts
Whenever I think he can't get more stupid, he surprises me!

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
the streetcar order once you include the network upgrades and new yard is around $2 billion dollars total for the upgrade.. mind you it is by far the largest upgrade in the networks history.

As for expansion, the streetcar network is expanding, slowly. The next extension is a short line on Cherry street which will open in 2016 after the Pan Am Games.

Streetcars should stay, but by god to they eat up a ton of TTC capital money. They are expensive. (not the reason ford wants them gone though)

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
There's no way that we can replace all the streetcar lines with subways anyway. That would cost tens of billions and we're having enough trouble trying to get funding for the Scarborough subway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts