SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On May 21st 2009, on the original (pre-forum) Newcastle Projects Thread, the below proposed development was reported . . .

Here are the two different 'office block proposals' (one taller than the other) for the site of the now defunct Stereo Bar (formerly the famous 'Barley Mow' Pub) on the Quayside:

What is the latest position on these proposals, I wonder?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Does anyone have any news on this site?

From the renders I'd say the smaller proposal is of a better design however I think the taller one may be suited better to this area, give a bit of diversity in height along the back of the Quayside.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Both look cheap and horrible. I much prefer the existing pub with its modern extension. If they're going to replace it, at least do so with a tiny bit of quality...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Def closed for good, there was a final party there about a month ago!Sad to see it go, had a few good nights in there!

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Shame really... I read not so long ago that the extension on the building was done by Malcolm Fraser, the same architect that did Dance City.

I'll be sad if it goes, especially bearing in mind the rubbish that's been proposed for the site.

·
The Legend
13,144 Posts
That looks a lot like the building next to where Tyne Tees studio used to be (the first picture).

Though I haven't really been close to it, I only saw it last week for the first time, I must admit that I don't get down to that end of Newcastle often, when I go to the Queyside I don't usually go past the Millenium bridge.

Does anyone have any pictures of the current bar?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've not got pictures of it at its most recent. But I seem to remember its refurb/extension won some minor awards due to the challenges in creating the extension on piles out into the steep hillside that the pub was perched on.

Was a really nice, genuinely modern and trendy venue - felt kinda Miami-ish, if that makes sense!

Shame to see it go, as it really was a good addition to the scene and one of those rare bars that gave the town an added touch of style!

Also...I forget who...but one of the big brewers made a website directory a few years back with their 'Worlds best bars' on it. Not only did Newcastle manage to make it on there, but it included Revolution (the only chain bar on the whole list!) AND...Stereo! Was really highly commended!

Sorry for blabbing...just wanted to give a bit of background as to why I think the place will be missed :)

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Stereo was also, if I'm right, the first UK bar to start doing Hed Kandi nights (brought back from Ibiza. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm told. It's one of the reasons why the Sunday (I think) night there was so popular.

It is a cracking bar though and the extension is really good, it works well with the original building.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah that's right. It was a couple of years before many UK venues appeared on HedKandi listings...If you opened one of their album covers Stereo would be listed alongside one-nighters in Helsinki, Egypt etc...and then a WEEKLY night in Newcastle. Was also nice to go to their night in Ibiza and hear the DJ announce similar! Not that there was often the weather for it, but their terrace was also lovely.

It was kept afloat thanks to its strong Sundays and then the way it worked as warm-up for various nights, including strong Thursdays and Sats, at Foundation (The Riverside) on Melbourne St. Unfortunately, when that shut there was limited appeal in being that far along the Quayside on a night out!

'Stereocorp' then went on to open Digital (taking nights like Shindig, Stonelove etc from Foundation with it), and focussed attention on their newer bars up in town near Digital, ie Tokyo. There's also now Digital in Brighton and a couple of Tokyos in the UK (oddly I went to one in Huddersfield?!). Sadly, little Stereo just got left behind!

·
Registered
135 Posts
This actually would be very sad if it was demolished, a nice old building with a quality modern extension by a multi- award-winning architect. It has echoes of his Edinburgh Poetry Library, and even Dance Base.

Is this in a Conservation Area?

It's hard to believe that this cannot be sold on and re-opened. Yes an office block would make a load of cash for the site owner, but I wonder if it ties in with planning policies for the area?

Anyone know any more about the current planning situation?

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
My guess is that now that there's even suspicion that this place could be bulldozed and replace with a hugh office block the price will have gone way past what would be viable to buy it and run it as a pub/bar.

Which as you say is a real shame as it's a brilliant hybrid.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that might depend on a number of things, such as is yet another office block actually needed, does an office block fit with planning policies for the area and is this building in a Conservation Area, in which case demolition might not be as simple as the owners think, as it certainly makes a positive contribution. Certainly it's in the vicinity of listed buildings, and the lumpen blocks proposed wouldn't exactly enhance the setting.

The place might need a rebranding to appeal to a different client base, but it's possible that someone might be willing to take it on and re-open as a pub/hotel/restaurant etc.

Of course I'm also mindful of the fate of two historic warehouses in the vicinity, in 1989 and 1992, and an empty building is always at risk.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts