SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 265 Posts

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
^^The site wouldn't be ready for redevelopment by any chance, would it??
Seems to be that a lot of empty property in the way or redevelopment seems to burst into flames leading to them being demolished.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Large fire at Stereo earlier on, looks like major damage, the roof is pretty much gone. Foul play apparently.
Just across the road from where I live. Police had the area closed off for about 8 hours last night, aerial platform and several fire pumps in attendance all night.

Could not get close enough last night but will try and get some photos today.

·
Super Moderator
22,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Arson suspected at former Stereo Nightclub building
by Tom Mullen, The Journal, February 21st 2011

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a blaze which ripped through a former nightclub after a suspected arson attack.

Crews from Colby Court, West Denton and Gateshead spent more than two hours extinguishing flames at the former Stereo Nightclub, in City Road, Newcastle.

And police are now investigating the cause of the fire, which was reported shortly before 5.45pm yesterday.

The property was severely damaged by the fire but no on was injured. A Tyne and Wear fire spokesman said: “Firefighters were called to the incident at 5.45pm and were on scene until 8.10pm.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...htclub-building-61634-28204701/#ixzz1EaBpdq4j

·
Registered
197 Posts
Arson suspected at former Stereo Nightclub building
by Tom Mullen, The Journal, February 21st 2011

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a blaze which ripped through a former nightclub after a suspected arson attack.

Crews from Colby Court, West Denton and Gateshead spent more than two hours extinguishing flames at the former Stereo Nightclub, in City Road, Newcastle.

And police are now investigating the cause of the fire, which was reported shortly before 5.45pm yesterday.

The property was severely damaged by the fire but no on was injured. A Tyne and Wear fire spokesman said: “Firefighters were called to the incident at 5.45pm and were on scene until 8.10pm.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...htclub-building-61634-28204701/#ixzz1EaBpdq4j
Poor reporting there.

All the fire crews were still on scene at 02:00hrs when I got home from work.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Poor reporting there.

All the fire crews were still on scene at 02:00hrs when I got home from work.
Not as bad as the article I saw which called it a nightclub called Studio.

I suppose it could have been called that now and again but that wasn't the name of the establishment.

The only way I knew it was Stereo (apart from the ST at the start) was that I knew it was empty and the subject of a controversial or slow-moving development plan so therefore the obvious choice for a bit of "random" arson.

Shocking how these people get away with it.

F

·
Super Moderator
22,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Arson hunt after Quayside nightspot torched
by Andy Hughes, Evening Chronicle, February 21st 2011

ARSONISTS were being hunted today after destroying a former Tyneside pub in an attack.

Detectives launched the probe after the blaze tore through the former Stereo Nightclub in City Road, on Newcastle’s Quayside, last night.

The blaze gutted the three-storey building, which was empty, and destroyed the top floor and roof.

The rest of the building, which used to be the Barley Mow pub before being re-named the Frog and Firkin, was severely damaged by smoke and water.

Fire chiefs believe the blaze was started deliberately in two places – the ground floor and second floor.

A Tyne & Wear Fire Service spokesman said: “The furnishings were used to start two fires, the first of which was located on the second floor.

“This fire destroyed that floor and the roof.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...ghtspot-torched-72703-28205860/#ixzz1EbC2BxD5

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
What's the large building in that 1965 photo NH or anyone?

F
It looks a bit like a school, and there was a school called 'The Royal Jubilee School' near there.

I'm not certain, others may know.

Yes NH, it was a school. At the corner of City Road and Jubilee Road. Now the Salvation Army Hostel.

P&T Image Archive, NCC

Cheers
GBDT

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
It looks a bit like a school, and there was a school called 'The Royal Jubilee School' near there.

I'm not certain, others may know.
Yes NH, it was the Royal Jubilee School - Salvation Army Hostel is now on that site.

Good write up on the school @ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43367 which uses Historical Account of Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Including the Borough of Gateshead by Eneas Mackenzie as a source.

It is a noble, chaste, and substantial building, from a plan furnished by Mr. John Dobson, architect. In its erection, two objects were professedly in view; one to provide the requisite conveniences for the new course of instruction, the other to erect a durable monument of public respect to a venerable monarch in the 50th year of his reign.

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,244 Posts
Which causes no end of problems around this area - even the local police have said it is the reason for general nuisance.
Agreed.I live in City Rd. right next to the sally bash.The constant drug dealing/use, illegal street drinking, fighting,begging, threatening behavior and general disorder caused by the residents is a pain.

Charity or not, they should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us.Were this a private hotel it would have been closed down years ago, but because its a charity its ok.

21 - 40 of 265 Posts