SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Agreed.I live in City Rd. right next to the sally bash.The constant drug dealing/use, illegal street drinking, fighting,begging, threatening behavior and general disorder caused by the residents is a pain.

Charity or not, they should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us.

They are! You're being let down by the police.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agreed.I live in City Rd. right next to the sally bash.The constant drug dealing/use, illegal street drinking, fighting,begging, threatening behavior and general disorder caused by the residents is a pain.

Charity or not, they should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us.Were this a private hotel it would have been closed down years ago, but because its a charity its ok.
You're close to me then. I have been run at in the street by the scumbags, been shouted abuse at just for walking across the road and regularly see them dealing out of the carpark of Melbourne House.

The most shocking thing I have seen is one frail looking drugged up individual, in his 20s, tin of extra strong in his hand, staggering about shouting and swearing, whilst his two toddler children followed him up the road.

Rant over.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Charity or not, they should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us.Were this a private hotel it would have been closed down years ago, but because its a charity its ok.
I suggest you log every incident over a period of time (e.g. One month) and then pass it to the authorities, those running the hostel, the council and the press. You're not passive and powerless in these sorts of situation.

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,244 Posts
I went to a local community meeting with the police, they are well aware of the problems but don't see it as a priority.

They will not issue fixed penalty notices to S.A. residents as they will not pay, yet they will issue them to anyone else.

How bizarre.

I now tend to deal with problems myself, these skag heads are all front and will run away even when in groups, I just wish the place would move somewhere more appropriate (I.E. not right next to a kids playground).

Where is the quayside arsonist when you need him?(JOKE!!!).

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The school had just closed when the old 'Men's Palace' burned down (as the school was used as a temporary hostel). This was 1967 I think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to agree with previous comments, it looks like another one of these ‘timely’ blazes in empty premises.
I’m very sad to see the old Barley Mow in such a sorry state as it was the first pub my mate Steve and I ever bought a pint in, back in the olden days when it cost 1/10 a pint!
Mrs Wright was the landlady in the late 60’s early 70’s and she never ever got the hang of decimal money.
Or recognising under age drinkers!
Tiny half penny pieces were beneath her contempt and were consigned to an ever growing row of pint glasses stuffed with copper arranged behind the bar. It was quite bizarre to have her tell you the cost of the round in ‘old’ money and then complete the rest of the transaction in the hated ‘new’ money.
She was ably assisted by Harry the Scotsman who lugged crates from the cellar and changed the occasional barrel. The main clientele were the lads from the Salvation Army hostel over the road, and they never got much more ambitious than drinking bottles of dog – from a regularly topped-up half pint schooner of course. They were all elderly men, and their hellraising days were long behind them.
The juke box in the back room was an interesting affair being almost exclusively dedicated to Jimmy Shand and his Scottish Dance Band, we often suspected Harry’s influence somewhere along the line!
Door security was a very large black dog of indeterminate age and mien which lay across the doormat just inside the front door.
Customers had to climb over the beast to get in, once down in his favourite spot he just would not move. Regulars were rewarded with barely perceptible sniff of recognition, whilst strangers were treated to a low rumble of caution.
Sadly these pubs have all but disappeared, which is why the likes of the Free Trade must continue to be supported.
Or maybe it’s me just looking back through rose tinted beer glasses?

·
13,161 Posts
Sadly these pubs have all but disappeared, which is why the likes of the Free Trade must continue to be supported.
I agree, [and the Cumberland too] note the review of the Free Trade on Newcastlepubs.tk Note that this does use rude words

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
I also recall the days when the Barley Mow didn't acknowledge 'new money', and that must have been at least 3 or 4 years after the conversion to decimal coinage!
I also recall the owners conducting their personal homelife in the backroom with the door to the bar open (and continuing the 'conversation' as one of them came 'out front'). It could be a little awkward feeling that you were intruding in someone's home. OPh, and he'd hang his jacket on a coathanger in the front room too (the bar, that is).

As for the fire, it has come as no surprise. It had been anticipated for many months. Thieves had been visiting regularly though not having taked the roof's lead by the time some were caught red-handed in November/December.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Surely by now more of the Quayside has 'accidentally' burned down in the last 30 years than during the Great Fire of 1854.

·
13,161 Posts
Surely by now more of the Quayside has 'accidentally' burned down in the last 30 years than during the Great Fire of 1854.
Yes, the actuaries must be doing the sums to put the insurance up on my flat as we speak. I m going to keep a bucket of chestnuts and marshmallows ready to toast when the next, a'hem electrical fault or lightning strike occurs. Could run a book on this. Pravda's been empty enough to be tinder dry :lol:

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I had some cracking nights in Stereo... It's a brilliant little conversion, with the old part and the extension by Malcolm Fraser (who has since gone on to design some of my favourite buildings).

Soon to be replaced with some faceless, low-quality glass lump I'm guessing.

·
13,161 Posts
I had some cracking nights in Stereo... It's a brilliant little conversion, with the old part and the extension by Malcolm Fraser (who has since gone on to design some of my favourite buildings).

Soon to be replaced with some faceless, low-quality glass lump I'm guessing.
It was a nice conversion. Given that it s been closed for quite some time I d say it's most likely to be replaced by a vacant building plot, followed by office or an apartment block.

·
Super Moderator
22,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It was a nice conversion. Given that it s been closed for quite some time I d say it's most likely to be replaced by a vacant building plot, followed by office or an apartment block.

Such a sad loss of a very historic building, with a long history.

A long history of survival and re-invention, as all else changed around it.

The history is shown here, earlier in this thread. I'm sure there must be other photos around . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=73027637&postcount=23

Irreplaceable.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Such a sad loss of a very historic building, with a long history.

A long history of survival and re-invention, as all else changed around it.

The history is shown here, earlier in this thread. I'm sure there must be other photos around . . .

Irreplaceable.
There is this one, (no date though!)

P&T Image Archive, NCC

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
613 Posts
I hated Stereo, even though it was clearly aimed (in its early days) at people like me who had some interest in certain dance music sub-cultures in the early 2000s. It always felt like a "forced" venue to me, somewhere that would have been more at home in a plate-glass new build. I much preferred it as the Barley Mow when I started drinking in 1994, particularly when I could annoy everyone by putting on the first 10 tracks from The Clash's "Sandinista!" (a vastly underrated record) in one go for about 50p.

Plus, Stereo got rid of what was a perfectly good beer garden by building that ridiculous extension. It's almost as if they deliberately set out to create a building that would eventually have to be knocked down once its life was over, just to appeal to realtors who would have to buy the entire site rather than simply the entertainment licence and building lease.

By the end, though, Stereo was appalling. The place stank, the floor stuck to your feet, it feltvery dirty, the place was never particularly busy and there was a bit of a menace about some of its clientele. I think that it rather suffered once Foundation closed down and all of the relevant club nights (Shindig et al) went over to the Centre for Life area, miles away.

·
13,161 Posts
I hated Stereo, even though it was clearly aimed (in its early days) at people like me who had some interest in certain dance music sub-cultures in the early 2000s. It always felt like a "forced" venue to me, somewhere that would have been more at home in a plate-glass new build. I much preferred it as the Barley Mow when I started drinking in 1994, particularly when I could annoy everyone by putting on the first 10 tracks from The Clash's "Sandinista!" (a vastly underrated record) in one go for about 50p.

Plus, Stereo got rid of what was a perfectly good beer garden by building that ridiculous extension. It's almost as if they deliberately set out to create a building that would eventually have to be knocked down once its life was over, just to appeal to realtors who would have to buy the entire site rather than simply the entertainment licence and building lease.

By the end, though, Stereo was appalling. The place stank, the floor stuck to your feet, it feltvery dirty, the place was never particularly busy and there was a bit of a menace about some of its clientele. I think that it rather suffered once Foundation closed down and all of the relevant club nights (Shindig et al) went over to the Centre for Life area, miles away.
I drank there as the Barley Mow, Firkin and Stereo. I actually quite liked it when it first opened. It's about 200yds from my front door and was a cracking place for an early evening weissbeer on the balcony, though it did increasingly attract poseurs with odd haircuts.

However towards the end it was a nightmare. I never complained myself, but many residents did - they stayed open way after their licence allowed it, played music at brain mulching levels with the french doors open; the equivalent of the band playing in your living room. Problem was that because of it's intermittent opening ['club nights' about once every three weeks] the police could never contact anyone to deal with the complaints.

They then applied for a 3am licence and the council got a list of objections as long as your arm [yes me included]. Sense I have is that they were ....discouraged from pursuing it so it was withdrawn. Pretty much straight after that it was boarded up. This was June-ish last year.

By the way on an 'I ve heard that'....someone told me that the backbar from the Barley Mow was moved to the Tyne Bar [bottom Ship]. Was I drunk at the time or does anyone know if this is correct ?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
By the way on an 'I ve heard that'....someone told me that the backbar from the Barley Mow was moved to the Tyne Bar [bottom Ship]. Was I drunk at the time or does anyone know if this is correct ?
Fred, the owner of the Tyne used to own the Barley Mow (I think) so it could be true.

Cheers
GBDT

41 - 60 of 265 Posts