SkyscraperCity banner

481 - 500 of 2321 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Königsberg could have been rebuilt....

In 1947 this city looked like many German cities with a lot of ruins, but the walls of many houses stil standing, without floors and roofs. So whole cities could have been rebuilt if the still standing outer walls were used.

In Hamburg Jarrestadt burnt out flats (from the 30-ties) were indeed reused and rebuilt. So nowadays these suburbs look like being preserved.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #486 (Edited)
Lithuanian film about former Minor Lithuania after the end of Soviet Union

"Kelionė iš Tilžės į Sovietską"
Travel trom Tilžė (Tilsit) to Sovietsk (Same city)

There You will see views of places in current Kaliningrad district, former East Prussia, area of Minor Lithuania in 1990

Here is talking about Minor Lithuania Lithuanians, history and how everything looks like after 45 years of Soviet occupation.
Very sad views...

Especially interesting thing is that a lot of heritage was destroyed after the end of WWII

Link:

http://www.lrt.lt/mediateka/irasas/7028

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Last two posts I hope someone will erase

Buildings of Königin Luise-Brücke (Bridge) 1905-1908

Музей города Кёнигсберг

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Konigsberg, demolition works, about 1950

Музей города Кёнигсберг

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Nice and funny photo
On Germany (East Prussia) -Lithuania border in 1932
Hard question. Emigration or immigration?:D

Facebook: Lietuva senosiose fotografijose

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Klaipėda/Memel, Lithuania
Memel official name was during East Prussia times, but name Klaipėda, you also can find in some old maps. City bacame part of Lithuania in 1923. During WWII city lost part of important heritage. After war soviets demolished almost all churches...

Pre-war city panoramas

St. John church, demolished after war

www.europeana.eu

How this place looks like now. Now preparing to rebuild the church

New buildings in oldtown

In oldtown

Old theater

In oldtown we can find buildings from interwar period, when Klaipėda/Memel city ​​has been part of Lithuania Republic.

"Rebuilt" mill in oldtown

View of mill in pre-war times

miestai.net

Place of Klaipėda castle, started to rebuild in few phases

3B.

http://www.miestai.net/forumas/showthread.php?t=14035&page=7

Square of Lietuvininkai (Local Lithuanians of East Prussia) and monument for Martynas Mažvydas

Photos by google street view

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My Grandfather was born in Memel. He fled October 1944. Glad to see that the city looks quite clean and still very interesting. Do you have any further information relating to the reconstruction plans of the church?

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
Thanks Depeched - fascinating posts. This is one of the best things about this forum - and there are many - I would never see this sort of detail in an article or a book or film. :)

Reactions: Depeched

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
My Grandfather was born in Memel. He fled October 1944. Glad to see that the city looks quite clean and still very interesting. Do you have any further information relating to the reconstruction plans of the church?

As I know firsty decided to rebuilt only church tower, which was 75 meters height.

In 2012 was symbolically marked the beginning of rebuilding.
But real works will start when will be enough money.

http://www.ve.lt/naujienos/lietuva/...s-bokstui-atstatyti-prasys-es-paramos-903336/

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Old Prussians heritage

Prussian soldier's sword, belt lining, spurs. XIII-XIV c.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #498

·
Neen, man!
3,893 Posts
In 1931 the proportion of Germans in Pomerania (where the Corridor was located) was 10.09% (190,324).
Did that part of Western Prussia have a Polish majority during the interwar period? Definately. Did Germans stand for only 10% of the population? Highly unlikely, certainly if mass emigration and/or population transfers were not involved after the WW1. In 1910 around 30-40% of the population of the future corridor were German-speaking and it's hard to believe that most of the these people *disappeard* before the 1931 census was held.
Btw, the number of ethnic Poles in East Prussia (part of the German state) before WW2 was officially estimated at ~400,000
Very probable, my mother's family (mixed, Polish-German) lived in Eastern Prussia even before the WW2 (nearby Elbing and Allenstein) and from what I heard many of the settlements/villages in the rural areas were Polish-speaking as well.
PS. Silesian census of 1910 (based on German figures, red and brown areas had Polish majority).
This is a tricky one as all of the North-Western lands aren't even in Silesia. :D

Besides, language=/=nationality, at least not in Upper Silesia :)D). In 1910 34.4% of the Upper Silesian population were German-speaking. But still, in 1921 59.5% of Upper Silesians voted for Germany and you ain't gonna tell me that all of those 25.1% of votes come from Upper Silesian German-speaking emigrants, it'd be probably the biggest scam in the history of Polish-German relationships. :lol:

481 - 500 of 2321 Posts