Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should be hearing a bit more about this in the coming months so I've decided to start a new thread. The title of the thread can be altered when it goes live as to whether it is indeed a 5* hotel and the name of the hotel group who's to run it is revealed.

Work due to start converting famous Liverpool bank into city's first luxury five-star hotel

Former Martins bank building to be converted into 'world class' facility within months

Work on Liverpool’s first five-star hotel is due to get under way within months.

Approval was given to convert the historic city centre Martins Bank into a 138-bedroom hotel last week.

The company behind the project has now told the ECHO it hopes to start work on the project this autumn with a view to opening the venue in autumn next year.

The £40m hotel will include two restaurants, three bars, a spa, and conference and banqueting rooms.

Bernard Byrne, managing director at Castlewood, said: “We are delighted that the hotel development is about to start on site as it represents the culmination of more than four years work by Castlewood with the support of the city council, Liverpool Vision and Liverpool LEP.

“The hotel, including the Roman style hydrotherapy spa and gym, will bring a new world class facility to Liverpool.

“The restaurants and bars will add to the city's night life and will be designed to have wide appeal. The fine dining restaurant will attract more fine dining aficionados to the city.”

Mr Byrne said he was not able to reveal what the brand of the hotel will be until formal contracts had been signed.

But he said: “The hotel and spa brands will be a well recognised international 5-star brand, with 5-star hotels and spas in London and Paris.”

He added: “Final procurement contracts are being negotiated at present with a view to starting work on site in the autumn to enable the hotel to open in the autumn of 2015.”

The plans for the conversion of the Grade II-listed bank on Water Street were backed by council chiefs in April this year when £1.5m from Liverpool LEP’s Growing Places Fund was earmarked to be allocated to the project.

The development will see the stunning banking hall, which features marble floors and 20 giant columns, converted into used for a hotel reception, bars and restaurants.

Many of the bank’s original features will be retained, with the main dining area enclosed within the horseshoe-shaped tellers’ counter and the original writing desks kept.

Castlewood previously put forward plans for a hotel in the building in 2011 but the development never came to fruition.

Mr Byrne told the ECHO today: “Castlewood is confident its new proposals will be successful as the funding environment has now changed.”

Liverpool doesn’t currently have a five star hotel. The new city centre Doubletree by Hilton hotel, due to open later this year, was originally set to be a five-star hotel but is now going to be a four-star venue.

The Martins Bank site contains four floors of office space which will remain, with the hotel sandwiched between.

The apartment belonging to the former chairman of the bank will be subdivided to form two bedroom suites.

The building, designed by Herbert Rowse, opened as the headquarters of Martins Bank in 1932 after a five-year construction contact.

During the Second World War some of the Bank of England’s gold reserves from London were stored in the Liverpool bank’s vaults as a potentially safer refuge from bombs.

In 1969 Martins Bank was bought by Barclays, who used the building until 1989 when it was sold to the Carroll Group, from which it was acquired in 1996 by the present owners, Castlewood.

Barclays closed the branch about five years ago and the banking hall has remained empty since.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Its just a great, great building, one of the cities finest. Lets hope this happens as it will be a massive boost to the city centre and the tourist offer.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty confident it will happen, hopefully it happens in the Autumn when they say it will.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Excellent. I was confident this would come to fruition after first hearing about the grant.

They wouldn't have got the money if the other figures didn't stack up.

There's no way this would have happened without the CLT though, so I'm happy to see it's having an impact

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Its just a great, great building, one of the cities finest. Lets hope this happens as it will be a massive boost to the city centre and the tourist offer.
I agree with you my red friend .

I stayed in a converted bank in Denver last week (Renaissance) - they kept the massive steel vault doors in place as architectural features and had meeting room in the vaults . Be ace if they did something similar for this place.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This can only be a good thing. It puts a gem of the city into the foreground where it belongs. At the moment it almost looks forgotten about and Water Street is quiet after rush hour. I don't see how it will be a 5* hotel but it will certainly be an impressive addition to the area.
I haven't seen much activity to the Layla/Hilton/municipal annexe or whatever they want to call it right now. It at least looks better than it did. The whole of Dale Street right down to Martins bank building is getting better all the time.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Could an improved cruise liner offering of more turnarounds attract more well heeled tourists staying for a night or two?

It surely couldn't do any harm, but is hardly a given either. Difficult one for sure.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Could an improved cruise liner offering of more turnarounds attract more well heeled tourists staying for a night or two?

It surely couldn't do any harm, but is hardly a given either. Difficult one for sure.
I half suspect that it will get most of it's custom through the growing exhibition/conference trade. Your MD/Chief Executive types. Either way, it's good news. I really hope they opt for a much more classic style of interior instead of the gawdy mismatched furniture offerings that we've seen in some of the recent hotel offerings. There's a gap in the market for elegant instead of youthful trendiness.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Martins Bank Liverpool to become city's first five star hotel after new plans submitted

New plans have been submitted to Liverpool council for the city’s first five star hotel to be built within Martins Bank.

The historic city centre building has long been the subject of attempts to turn it into a luxury hotel with developers confirming they still planned to do so earlier this month.

And now it looks as though progress could soon be made with a new planning application having been submitted to Liverpool town hall today.

Plans to convert Martins Bank into a 138-bedroom hotel were approved by city planners 12 months ago.

But delays to work on the scheme - which was due to begin last autumn - had led to fears the conversion would not happen.

However earlier this month Bernard Byrne, managing director at developers Castlewood, confirmed to the ECHO he still wanted to turn the building into a five star hotel.

And now updated plans - which reveal the hotel will have almost 100 extra rooms than previously thought - have been handed in for consideration.

While details are currently limited, an overview of the scheme requests permission for a “change of use to change existing office building into 227 bedroom 5 star hotel with associated bars, restaurants, and spa.”

The former Martins Bank on Water street in Liverpool city centre which is set to become the city's first luxury five star hotel.

The £40m hotel is expected to include two restaurants, three bars, a spa, and conference and banqueting rooms. Many of the Grade II listed bank’s original features will also be retained, with the main dining area enclosed within the horseshoe-shaped tellers’ counter and the original writing desks kept.

Barclays closed the branch about six years ago and the banking hall has remained empty since. The site, on Water Street, has a fascinating history and during World War II some of the Bank of England’s gold reserves from London were stored in the Liverpool bank’s vaults as a potentially safer refuge from bombs.

·
8,184 Posts
yes! this one is long overdue.

a 5 star hotel appearing is very good sign- that investors recognise there is enough wealth and potential in the city sustain such a luxury institution. small, poor towns and cities dont have 5* hotels. lets hope this stays a 5*.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
so they bought a local bank, martin´s, and after conveniently milking it, not only destroyed that name and all the local jobs and decision making capacity but also fled away with the cash I presume and closed the building down....

well, another example of the insolent behaviour of bankers, some already call them criminals and legal mafia, regarding the people and communities who created them is even more insulting to me day by day...welcome to the new hotel

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
excellent news

1 - 20 of 179 Posts