SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're getting the track ready at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
They just spent something like 80 millons $ to update the international Press area(Cafeteria, work area etc...) 80million$ seems like alot. It better be damn nice!

·
Banned
728 Posts
They just spent something like 80 millons $ to update the international Press area(Cafeteria, work area etc...) 80million$ seems like alot. It better be damn nice!
Really ? Are you sure ? I never though they would get the job done this fast , just last year Bernie Ecclestone complained about the condition of that facility needs to be updated .He said it's not about Montreal's image but the whole Canada Reputation for staging any International Event and they indeed took it seriously ,how nice ...thanks for sharing this i/f habsfan

·
Banned
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember reading about the changes earlier this year. They have actually invested 4.5 million but the economic benefits are said to total 80 million. The problem is space. The control tower and paddock area are located next to the Olympic rowing basin and the only way they can expand is by adding more floating platforms.

Behind the paddock and control area there is a very narrow strip of land

Woo hoo!

Montreal makes Kubica crash wall safer

Changes at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
14/05/08 10:37

Less than a month prior to the Canadian Grand Prix, organisers of the Montreal race have confirmed changes to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in response to Robert Kubica's huge crash there one year ago.

Racing for BMW Sauber last year, the young Pole was fortunate to emerge relatively unscathed after striking an unprotected concrete wall at high speed and at an acute angle.

A change to the wall adjacent to the left-hand kink, located before the hairpin, was ordered by the FIA in its regular post-event report.

Francois Dumontier, executive vice-president of the Montreal promoter, is quoted as saying by the Canadian news agency CP that, if the same accident occurs in June this year, "the car will slide on that wall instead of hitting" it.

The change is among the $4.5 million of improvements at Montreal this year, including better paddock facilities and several resurfaced corners.

It is also understood that proper paddock toilets for each team have also been installed, after David Coulthard earlier this year slammed the usual Canadian GP 'portaloos'.

Montreal's Gilles-Villeneuve circuit, site of the Canadian Grand Prix, will be undergoing a small make-over. The announcement follows confirmation of a government grant dedicated to partial reconstruction of the paddock area, with the work to be completed in time for the June race.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone had declared last year that upgrades were required to bring the facilities up to par. His comments were in line with the opinions of several drivers and press delegates, who also expressed discontent with the paddock and team areas. Additional space has become a necessity over the last few years with somewhat congested settings and narrow paddock lane making for close quarters indeed.

"I am happy to announce that the letters are ready and that all is confirmed," said Raymond Bachand, the Minister of Economic Development and Tourism for the Province of Québec, regarding an allotment worth two million dollars.

"Right from the start, when I knew that Bernie Ecclestone had made a sine qua non condition of it, I took the decision: we had to give a hand to the Grand Prix," reports Montreal daily La Presse. "It's the most important tourist attraction in Québec and Canada."

The proposed plan aims at installing additional floating platforms on the basin that once served for the 1976 Olympic games in order to augment the available square footage, relocate the media centre, and allow for a new press cafeteria.

The city of Montreal will also participate in the renovation work by pouring nearly a million dollars into the garage area. In addition, a large generator will be set up to feed power to the paddock, in replacement of a series of smaller generators – a move that should also free up space.

The Canadian Grand Prix, which will be celebrating its 30th edition on the famous Gilles-Villeneuve circuit this year, generates approximately 80 million dollars into the local economy.

With the disappearance of the US race, Canada will be Formula One's only event in North America.

Daniel BASTIEN
© CAPSIS International

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080514103739.shtml

Start of race

After the race

·
Banned
728 Posts
^ This is a more accurate news on the condition of Villenueve Circuit , and about 4.5 million spent to update the facility makes more sense than 80 million . I am glad they have solved the problems concerning the F1 in Montreal . btw ,those fotos looks really nice but they were last year's right ? some of the pictures must look different by now I better go check them out soon good job Habfanman :eek:kay:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I wish there wre more cars that participated in teh F1 races.

There are currently what? 20-22 cars that take part in the races? There should be 26-28 cars (13 to 14 teams). It would make things a little more interesting!

Somtimes, where there are a couple of accidents, there are 8-10 cars that actualy finish the race!

·
Banned
728 Posts
It has been a super saturday for F1 in Montreal The weather was absolutely cordinated with all the festivities surrounding the F1 in downtown Montreal plus there's Montreal fashion week going on a "planned coincided weekend " so there's lots beautiful girls and bois promenade on St catherine street ,plus there are like an endless parades of Ferrari ,BMW every where not to mention other luxurious car's name , the whole downtown area became so electrified ,music every where ...summer is really here in the City hot hot hot and hot mmm ...I was soaking in the sun all day man !

·
Banned
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was great to see Kubica win after his crash in 2007. Weird what happened with Hamilton and Raikkonen!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It has been a super saturday for F1 in Montreal The weather was absolutely cordinated with all the festivities surrounding the F1 in downtown Montreal plus there's Montreal fashion week going on a "planned coincided weekend " so there's lots beautiful girls and bois promenade on St catherine street ,plus there are like an endless parades of Ferrari ,BMW every where not to mention other luxurious car's name , the whole downtown area became so electrified ,music every where ...summer is really here in the City hot hot hot and hot mmm ...I was soaking in the sun all day man !
I must agree. The week-end was fantastic. We couldn'T ask for better weather.

One again the F-1 Week was a complete success!

·
9,244 Posts
The love of my life was in town for the race, an all Canadian Corn Fed Girl Mrs Pamala Anderson. I got these photos from the Montreal Gazette. :tongue3: :lol:

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
she is a fucking skank having no respect for media or its fans... she got 100k for waving a stupid flag not respecting her end of the contract.

what a fucking disgrace and waste.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts