SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I was only against us having to pay to attract or create a road race.

If they're proposing, and actively want Birmingham, then I'm fully behind it.

Hope it happens.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Andy Street brings superprix, a street race back to Brum :banana:
I mean, let's not jump the gun.

A) He hasn't actively done anything here. It's happened more because Montreal's mayor actively didn't want the race.

B) It hasn't happened.

Arbitrarily pinning passive achievements onto a person is just as bizarre as when people arbitrarily blame the council/politicians/businesses for things totally out of their control.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
One thing is for sure is that Andy Street is having amazing luck as Mayor.

First we get the Commonwealth Games because no one else bids.

Now there is a chance to host Formula E because Montreal doesn’t want it.

Whatever next?
Had a brief twitter spat with him recently. He attempted to claim direct responsibility for:
HS2
The Commonwealth Games
City of Culture
Metro Extensions

Realistically, the effect of Andy won't be seen for a few years yet, the effects, positive or negative, of his policies will probably be seen at the beginning of the next mayoral term. That's politics. Trump is still riding high on a few Obama policies, May is just at the Tail end of Cameron policies.

Similarly, Andy is riding on a massive swell of good luck in some situations, such as the CWG, and the ingenuity and skill of other politicians and his predecessors.

I look forward to analysing his policy decisions in the long run, he's certainly running an animated campaign for Channel 4 for which he's delivered a new wind.

I just hope he doesn't campaign too hard for a Formula E personally. I don't think it'll be of enormous benefit and would certainly command a lot of resources to actively campaign.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm not enormously energised about this announcement, pretty neutral. I think it's a great event, a tad disruptive.

Though that all being said, I hope we get it, just for the exposure. Andy Street does repearedly jump the gun on announcements, but Birmingham City Council don't, they're normally VERY careful about high profile announcements.

Could be promising.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
This doesn't look political. Ward would want this event to go ahead. From a political perspective it it failed it could be blamed on street, if successful, it could be a coup for the council.

It does seem odd, because I'm fairly sure I remember Andy saying that the Council were involved in advanced negotiations. Ward claims otherwise, and is correct to point out that without consultation this really is a non-started.

Equally. This isn't like Street, who gives the air of being quite meticulous, by the book and thorough.

The BBC have reported this on the local news segments too with a very similar story.

They seem to be suggesting that Andy assumed permission and went ahead with trying to negotiate. Very Odd. Very Un-Andy.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Yes, but the CA Mayor should not be negotiating on something which is absolutely the remit of the Council Leader.

The Mayor also claimed to be in advanced negotiations along with Birmingham Council, which from this claim would appear to not necessarily be true.

This is simply in line with the precedent set by Birmingham Council, and the general procedure to consult citizens.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
The role of the Mayor, however, is not to unilaterally act on behalf of a constituent authority, and to claim they were deeply involved in advanced consultations if that isn't the case.

While Ward's smackdown may well be political, the actual issue at hand isn't. Birmingham CC is the main authority which will be baring the cost for this event, that will have to deal with the logistics for this event, and otherwise would be administering this event.

It would also be an untennable position for Street to attempt to use CA funding to facilitate this, and it wouldn't be tolerated in the other boroughs.

What consultation needs to be held? On whether the public want the roads closed when they need to access work/residences/travel. Whether the public support the use of funds to hold such an event.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
The News Reports, from three different sources, though likely the same interview, are suggesting that Street unilaterally attempted to organise this without the proper involvement of BCC.

That's bizarre, and seems unlikely, but seems to be being what's said.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Frankly I think 1847 is right. We could do with a proper Assembly for the Midlands.

Bicameral Assembly-Cabinet structure is probably for the best.

The mayor needs the authority to lead, and councils need the ability to support.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
BCC aren’t in anyway to blame here.
Andy promised it was coming here, and lied about being in discussion with the council about it.

There is only one person to ‘blame’ here and that was an over and misplaced confidence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.