SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Formula E Race: Birmingham

14434 Views 144 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  leonigmig
Came across this while catching up on my Formula 1 news. Its seems the Formula E board are seriously considering having a race here in Birmingham.

Please let this happen!!!:banana:

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/birmingham-superprix-replace-montreal-995967/
21 - 40 of 145 Posts
Any chance this happening in Brum in the coming years? The article gives nothing away.
Have you heard a formula-e car? They sound horrendous! :lol: I'm all for electric, but the sound is not a nice one.
At least no one could complain about the noise....
One thing is for sure is that Andy Street is having amazing luck as Mayor.

First we get the Commonwealth Games because no one else bids.

Now there is a chance to host Formula E because Montreal doesn’t want it.

Whatever next?
I mean, let's not jump the gun.

A) He hasn't actively done anything here. It's happened more because Montreal's mayor actively didn't want the race.

B) It hasn't happened.
Had a brief twitter spat with him recently. He attempted to claim direct responsibility for:
HS2
The Commonwealth Games
City of Culture
Metro Extensions

Realistically, the effect of Andy won't be seen for a few years yet, the effects, positive or negative, of his policies will probably be seen at the beginning of the next mayoral term. That's politics. Trump is still riding high on a few Obama policies, May is just at the Tail end of Cameron policies.

Similarly, Andy is riding on a massive swell of good luck in some situations, such as the CWG, and the ingenuity and skill of other politicians and his predecessors.

I look forward to analysing his policy decisions in the long run, he's certainly running an animated campaign for Channel 4 for which he's delivered a new wind.

I just hope he doesn't campaign too hard for a Formula E personally. I don't think it'll be of enormous benefit and would certainly command a lot of resources to actively campaign.
One thing is for sure is that Andy Street is having amazing luck as Mayor.

First we get the Commonwealth Games because no one else bids.

Now there is a chance to host Formula E because Montreal doesn’t want it.

Whatever next?
Just wanted to put a few thoughts I have had about the proposal to hold the Formula E race in Birmingham City centre.

As I do I have come up with a completely different perspective and alternative race site which will reduce the amount of disruption caused during the race weekend and still show off Birmingham at its very best.

My idea would be to hold the race at the University of Birmingham campus and surrounding roads. The track could be the campus ring road before exiting through the West Gate onto Vincent Drive, Pritchatts Road, Edgbaston Park Road and returning through the East Gate back to the campus.

The cancelled Montreal race was held in the month of July so this whole area would be like a ghost town as the vast majority of the 28’000 students would have left in mid-June for their summer vacation.

The whole area around the University Campus is lush, green and IMO the most beautiful part of the city. There are some really distinct buildings including the red brick campus buildings and 100 metre clock tower.

Currently under construction is a new green heart of the campus which could be used as a fan zone and area to erect marquees for race day hospitality. This would all create something special and distinctively British. This could be Birmingham’s very own version of Wimbledon.

Anyway for me this definitely has the wow factor which I think is missing if the race was held today in the city centre.

The Green Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmfwDQQSUsw&feature=youtu.be

Google Maps
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4505325,-1.9317947,826m/data=!3m1!1e3?dcr=0
Give him a break and apology. He is the mayor and can claim responsibility given the poor ingenuity and skill of other politicians and his predecessors, it is not hard, it really is not. He is more a proper Labour MP than a conservative nimby :lol:

Looking forward to more 'Street' racing in the city - obviously no cruising and need to step up a gear :)
Had a brief twitter spat with him recently. He attempted to claim direct responsibility for:
HS2
The Commonwealth Games
City of Culture
Metro Extensions

Realistically, the effect of Andy won't be seen for a few years yet, the effects, positive or negative, of his policies will probably be seen at the beginning of the next mayoral term. That's politics. Trump is still riding high on a few Obama policies, May is just at the Tail end of Cameron policies.

Similarly, Andy is riding on a massive swell of good luck in some situations, such as the CWG, and the ingenuity and skill of other politicians and his predecessors.

I look forward to analysing his policy decisions in the long run, he's certainly running an animated campaign for Channel 4 for which he's delivered a new wind.

I just hope he doesn't campaign too hard for a Formula E personally. I don't think it'll be of enormous benefit and would certainly command a lot of resources to actively campaign.
On a more serious note, Formula E not having a British race event reduces its development opportunities and hinders its credibility. I know I keep hammering on about a lack of foresight and insight with the city council but it does apply to other organisations, probably why Montreal pulled out, the devil is in the detail
We used to have facing on out street in the 90’s hopefully we get it back it be great for Birmingham
Reactions: leonigmig
great news!!! lets hope it becomes a success and doesn't last for a few years...

I'm not a big fan of the FE but it is becoming more popular, Mercedes, porch, and BMW are going to have works teams.

So the spotlight will only get bigger.

The key question is, where or what will the track be? Im sure the new FE design is due out next year, so the cars will be faster!!
Reactions: Kingsheathen
Saw this in a report on the Midlands news this morning. They said an announcement will be made today and they just mentioned a Superprix - no mention of Formula E.
Hope it is formula E though!
Will be incredible to get one over of London!
It probably helps that this would effectively be the Formula E home race with the series and the teams all based up the M42/A42 at Donnington.
LOL, is that how you think? Literally nobody is going to begrudge Birmingham a Formula E race, I just came in here to post this news actually, but I'm glad it's already being talked about. I actually suggested a few months ago in the Liverpool forum they should look at FE after they'd lost the CWG bid to Birmingham because it does seem to me this racing series could be well suited to cities outside of London, and it does a good job of showing cities off. I just wish it was on a more mainstream channel than 5Spike.

As for the news, I think you misheard...

Saw this in a report on the Midlands news this morning. They said an announcement will be made today and they just mentioned a Superprix - no mention of Formula E.
Hope it is formula E though!
Will be incredible to get one over on London!
The English city of Birmingham is in advanced talks to host a round of the Formula E electric series next year, West Midlands Mayor Andy Street said on Monday.

The street race would bring back memories of the Birmingham Superprix, a Formula 3000 race that was held between 1986 and 1990.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...west-midlands-mayor-andy-street-a8340676.html
Hi RobH
My comment was that based on the fact that Birmingham has a history of street racing and it was hugely popular at the time. The commercial value of holding street racing in recent years have skyrocketed and there has been talk of F1 and FE holding a race in London which would be the final nail in the coffin of any street racing in Brum. So, its nice to see a city other than London getting such a prize.

I didn't mishear the news - on the local midlands TV news early this morning before any announcement was made in the press they didn't confirm it was FE just that an announcement was to be made. It has now been made!
I knew something was afoot when Birmingham Superprix kept liking my tweets last week and commented with a trophy and a wink face :lol: Good luck to those involved
Reactions: Kingsheathen
London hosted FE for a couple of seasons in Battersea Park but local opposition lead to it being dropped. I've not heard any serious proposals about it going anywhere else in the city so I think there was always a strong possibility of a different UK city getting FE hosting rights.

As for F1 in London, it's an absolute non-starter. There's been talk of that for 20+ years and it's not got any closer. I wouldn't worry about that possibility scuppering anything!
Hi RobH
My comment was that based on the fact that Birmingham has a history of street racing and it was hugely popular at the time. The commercial value of holding street racing in recent years have skyrocketed and there has been talk of F1 and FE holding a race in London which would be the final nail in the coffin of any street racing in Brum. So, its nice to see a city other than London getting such a prize.

I didn't mishear the news - on the local midlands TV news early this morning before any announcement was made in the press they didn't confirm it was FE just that an announcement was to be made. It has now been made!
Who Knows... Formula one might follow Formula E to Birmingham. Silverstone has chosen not to renew its contract with Liberty, so technically the last British Grand Prix staged at Silverstone is next year.

It's widely known that Liberty wants F1 races in cities or very close by one, instead of these circuits in the middle of nowhere. That's one of the reasons they signed Miami up last week.

Who knows... Birmingham next lol
London hosted FE for a couple of seasons in Battersea Park but local opposition lead to it being dropped. I've not heard any serious proposals about it going anywhere else in the city so I think there was always a strong possibility of a different UK city getting FE hosting rights.

As for F1 in London, it's an absolute non-starter. There's been talk of that for 20+ years and it's not got any closer. I wouldn't worry about that possibility scuppering anything!
Excellent, this has now been run by BBC, the Independent, Financial times and others! As much as I don't care about car racing, this will be great for the city! Another day another coup for Brum :)
Is it actually confirmed then ??
21 - 40 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.