SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Formula E Race: Birmingham

14411 144
Came across this while catching up on my Formula 1 news. Its seems the Formula E board are seriously considering having a race here in Birmingham.

Please let this happen!!!:banana:

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/birmingham-superprix-replace-montreal-995967/
41 - 60 of 145 Posts
No not yet but the overall sentiment is that we'll most likely get it, including from Andy Street.
Is it actually confirmed then ??
Definitely another sporting coup for the city. I don't think anyone can deny that any of the other core UK city's would have jumped at the opportunity to have hosted such a race.
Reactions: GBTF No Authority
Just reading today's 'i'. It's in there as well :) And it refers to Brum as 'England's second city'
Could we get a link pleaseeeee and we all know Birmingham is the second city :D
Just reading today's 'i'. It's in there as well :) And it refers to Brum as 'England's second city'
Reactions: Mosleyan
Phil Mackie has just reported on 5Live that Birmingham may get the go ahead by the end of May/early June. Fingers crossed.
Reactions: GBTF No Authority
Formula E should be in the Midlands. A global hub for electric vehicle development.

A chance to showcase the city to a global TV audience. Admittedly at the moment not a very large one but still it has global following. Can only enhance the city's reputation, even the Superprix managed to do this and is widely held as a prestigious event even today.

It's significantly different to holding a stadium-based event like the Rugby World Cup or even the Football World Cup, as generally all you get to see is the inside of a stadium that could be anywhere.
Awesome news, it gets the support of Brum X

Anything which puts Brum on the map gets the nod from me. :cheers:

Why wait for our mediocre (At best) football teams to do this city proud, its never going to happen. Birmingham might as well try different things like the Commonwealth games and now this hopefully.
Excellent news! I really hope this happens.
Andy Street has a bit of a history of jumping the gun. Shall we all wait for the actual announcement before we all get Channel 4’d?
Will the track take a same route as previous? Just looked at the old route and its really not very flattering to the city. Ideally the track would be a bit more central taking in Broad Street, etc.
I'm not enormously energised about this announcement, pretty neutral. I think it's a great event, a tad disruptive.

Though that all being said, I hope we get it, just for the exposure. Andy Street does repearedly jump the gun on announcements, but Birmingham City Council don't, they're normally VERY careful about high profile announcements.

Could be promising.
I've already made a suggestion as to the circuit, will try to dig it out later. The previous Superprix circuit could work provided an area for the pits and hospitality could be found. The Monaco House site having been (partly) demolished could provide this? It would cause a lot of disruption though as Bristol Street is a main route through the city.

As to other areas of the city where there is a large enough vacant area for the pits and hospitality areas are around Eastside. The Curzon Street site is large enough for this. The roads surrounding the wholesale markets are another possibility, since the markets site could be cleared quite substantially within the next 12 months. Using these roads would cause little disruption.

The circuit itself doesn't need to be as 'generous' as the old Superprix one, the roads the FE cars can run on can be quite a bit narrower which opens up possibilities of using streets that aren't major thoroughfares. The other bonus is that the cars themselves are virtually silent, so people can't complain about the noise any more.
Reactions: Kingsheathen
The report I saw on Midlands Today stated that the circuit would be the same as that used by the original Super Prix.
What was the old circuit?
Start line was outside Monaco House on Bristol Street, the old car showroom there was the pits. Continue along Bristol Street turning left onto Belgrave Middleway, continue along until island at top of hill, return back along the Middleway turning right into Sherlock Street, round the houses a bit and back onto Bristol Street.
Wow that pretty much takes you around some of the most dismal and drab parts of the city. I guess that part of Brum is a bit better now than in the 80s' but I still hope that they include some better parts of town!

Start line was outside Monaco House on Bristol Street, the old car showroom there was the pits. Continue along Bristol Street turning left onto Belgrave Middleway, continue along until island at top of hill, return back along the Middleway turning right into Sherlock Street, round the houses a bit and back onto Bristol Street.
I'm not enormously energised about this announcement, pretty neutral. I think it's a great event, a tad disruptive.

Though that all being said, I hope we get it, just for the exposure. Andy Street does repearedly jump the gun on announcements, but Birmingham City Council don't, they're normally VERY careful about high profile announcements.

Could be promising.
Repeatedly? Other than the Channel 4 thing, did he 'jump the gun' in relation to anything else? Either way I wouldn't call it jumping the gun, I would call it confidence, something Brum desperately needs more of and Andy Street has so far given rise to more of it than anyone else in a very long time. I think part of confidence can be occasionally being wrong and just being able to take it in stride, accept it and carry on moving forward!
That is a pretty untesting route. i imagine we will employ some track designers.
41 - 60 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.