Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In honor of Memorial Day here are some shots from Fort Niagara. It was interesting and all, but a $10 admission is a bit steep for what you get.

Looking through a redoubt (tower thingie) to the Castle.

The "castle" was built by the French in 1726. It is the oldest building in the Great Lakes area, and was deliberately built to look like a house so the hostile Indians wouldn't be suspicious.

The land defenses were laid out by the French in the 1750s and reinforced with concrete and brick in the 1860s.

Stairs leading down to the bunkers built into the hill.

Inside the bunker.

Officers quarters in the Castle.

The corps de garde.

Chapel - sorry for odd angles, I had to brace my camera on whatever was handy. This is the earliest permanent church in Western New York.

One of the Castle's two stairways.

Inside the bake house, built in 1762 to replace the original destroyed by fire.

The Castle and Lake Ontario beyond. The bake house is the short building in front of the Castle.

Britain took the Fort from the French in 1759, and yielded it to the United States in 1796. This is the first American flag that flew over the Fort. It has fifteen stars and fifteen stripes, and is displayed in the Visitor Center under low light. The flag is much larger than this picture makes it look.

The last army units were withdrawn in 1963.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I grew up in WNY and never visited this place. That is an example of how WNYers don't appreciate what they have. I bet most don't even realize this historic fort exists. There is another historic for at Fort Erie across the river withing view of downtown Buffalo. Never visited that one either...crazy!

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you see Toronto from the fort?
On a clear day you can see Toronto as a smudge on the horizon. I was at the beach just below the Fort a few weeks ago, and the sky was clear but I'd never have noticed Toronto without a sign next to the parking area telling you where to look. Either yesterday was too hazy or I had the angle wrong because I couldn't see anything from the Fort at all.

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

From the beach just below the Fort.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Yesterday was pretty hazy. I couldn't even see the Buffalo skyline from the Southwestern Blvd overpass over US 219 like I almost always can.

Fort Niagara is pretty neat. Among the few such places I've been to, it's definitely among the better preserved. Maybe not as much "activity"-wise as some others, but well worth a visit if you're into that sort of thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts