Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New arena for the Will Rogers Memorial Center that has been in talks for years finally has a rendering.

FORT WORTH — The new 14,000-seat multipurpose arena and sports facility proposed for the Cultural District could exceed $450 million, but a nonprofit group in Fort Worth has pledged to raise at least half the money.

The City Council is also scheduled to vote on an ordinance calling for a Nov. 10 election for voters to approve user-financed taxes to fund the city’s portion of the project.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08...#storylink=cpy

I've made peace with the 14k seating. Still a few things about this arena (really, the location) that I have a problem with, but if the voters approve this $450 million arena, I'll welcome it with open arms. Gotta love that Art Deco.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Seems like the right price to me. building something to look like its surrounding, especially the stock yards, is going to be a pricy project.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
If this New Will Rogers Arena is built, then what will happen to the existing Will Rogers Coliseum and Auditorium?

Also, for a second there, I thought they were planning to put the new arena on the site of the existing Coliseum and Auditorium.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the Stockyards. The Will Rogers Memorial Center in the Cultural (museum) District.

If it was in the Stockyards, it would cost even more than that.

If this New Will Rogers Arena is built, then what will happen to the existing Will Rogers Coliseum and Auditorium?

Also, for a second there, I thought they were planning to put the new arena on the site of the existing Coliseum and Auditorium.
Here's the thing... Since both of those buildings are considered to be historically significant (Fort Worth is now trying its damnedest to keep every building considered "historically significant" after losing so many gems over the years) they will stick around. The current Will Rogers Coliseum was the first building designed with arched trusses joining at a ridge in the center and because the Auditorium is part of it, the building won't go down either. There would be OUTRAGE if that happened.

In all honesty, I wish the arena was built in downtown. There's space for it, trust me. But the wealthiest family in the city want their arena where the Rodeo action is, so this is what we're getting.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Seems like the right price to me. building something to look like its surrounding, especially the stock yards, is going to be a pricy project.
When adjusting for inflation, all but six current major-league arenas cost less than this proposal, and many of them house both NBA and NHL tenants.

Let's look at the costs of other recently built arenas of roughly this size, in 2014 dollars:

Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines, IA: $141M
Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville, FL: $173M
Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, NE: $185M
Intrust Bank Arena, Wichita, KS: $222M
Matthew Knight Arena, Eugene, OR: $238M

This is a bum deal, any way you slice it.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When adjusting for inflation, all but six current major-league arenas cost less than this proposal, and many of them house both NBA and NHL tenants.

Let's look at the costs of other recently built arenas of roughly this size, in 2014 dollars:

Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines, IA: $141M
Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville, FL: $173M
Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, NE: $185M
Intrust Bank Arena, Wichita, KS: $222M
Matthew Knight Arena, Eugene, OR: $238M

This is a bum deal, any way you slice it.
I think there's a lot more there than just the arena, though.

We still don't have the full details yet.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, so just like I thought, the arena itself won't be $450. That's price of the ENTIRE project. Here's the breakdown of everything that's going with the price tag:

- 14k seat arena, $197 million
- parking structure, $29 million
- livestock building, $20 million
- plaza, $17 million
- site work, $38 million
- public art piece, $27 million
- land acquisition, $27 million
- professional services, $42 million
- contingency and marketing, $37 million
- finance costs, $15 million

Full article here: http://fwbusinesspress.com/fwbp/article/1/6441/Breaking-News/Nonprofit-pledges-to-raise-at-least-half-Fort-Worths-cost-of-building-new-Will-Rogers-arena.aspx

·
Registered
284 Posts
^^ makes a whole lot more sense
y

Its also being built for one of the largest rodeos in the US, one of the largest Livestock shows in the US, and one of the largest cutting horse and equestrian shows in the US. IF NOT THE LARGEST. And like Will Rogers, she will be gold platted for her very rich clients who use it. Plus the real estate around the Cultural District isn't dirt cheap. The parking garage is needed as the parking lot during the shows is filled with trucks and horse trailers. Come to one of the shows and you will remember you have never seen so many horse trailers before in your life, not even at a horse racing track.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would be outraged by that, but (judging by the render), this facility will be more than just the arena. After all, it's located in the Stockshow area. I'm guessing there are barns or stage space in there as well.
Obviously you have never been to the Will Rogers Coliseum or Fort Worth's Cultural District. The arena will be gold platted for 200 million, not so out of line is it? The rest of the bonds are going to other facilities, facilities that are very much needed. This is much more than a arena, it is the home of one of the largest rodeos, cutting horse shows, and livestock shows. There are a lot of wealthy ranchers in north central Texas, some of the largest ranches in the US.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Arena has been approved.

From Dallas Business Journal
Fort Worth voters overwhelmingly voted in favor of spending $450 million on a new multipurpose arena that will be built next to the Will Rogers Memorial Center west of downtown.

Other North Texas municipalities also saw affirmative votes for various propositions.

Wind and rain across North Texas on Tuesday didn't deter voters in Fort Worth, who turned out in the thousands to vote for three propositions to support the facility. Proposition 1 passed with more than 79 percent of votes, Proposition 2 had 77 percent in favor. Proposition 3 had more than 72 percent yes votes, according to the Tarrant County Elections Department.

Half of the arena project is being funded by Event Facilities Fort Worth, a nonprofit led by billionaire Ed Bass.The additional $225 million for construction will come from taxes on those who use the facility and a parking tax that may be assessed after the arena opens.

No increases in property, sales or hotel occupancy taxes are expected, and no money will be taken from Fort Worth's general or public event funds.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is a truly beautiful building. Fort Worth ought to be grateful for receiving such a marvel.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts