SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The long abandoned and worn area in Fort Worth, Texas between downtown and The Stockyards is about to be reborn with a $910 million flood control project with "extras". It will basically expand downtown to twice its size and is by far the most ambitious plan the city has ever worked for.

Former TXU Power Plant to be revitalized along with the neighborhood

Height/Zone Standards

Originally known as Trinity Uptown, this project (which has been in a vision as far back as the 1950's) is slated to create new mixed use development, parks & recreation, business opportunities and more urban residential options. Bing Thom is the architect for the master plan and one of the existing community colleges just across the river.

The current state of the area in question features a good amount of nothing. Mostly just surface lots, empty space, abandoned buildings, and narrow, nearly unused streets.

Current area (2008-2013)

The few bright spots are LaGrave Field, a fairly new minor league ballpark which sits on top of the original site of an even older ballpark from the 1920's, a small brewery that just opened on the edge of the Trinity River in one of the few remaining buildings in the area, and the Coyote Drive-In. All these projects help in ways to bring some more income into the area. The two community colleges that coincide with the entire project. The West Campus (which is also home to Radio Shack Headquarters) and the East Campus, a collection of ultra modern buildings you'd usually see in Vancouver. Fort Worth's 4th , concerts, and a few other occasional events are held on the river.

There are three new bridges being built right now to get ready for the new bypass channel. It is cheaper to build those bridges now over dry land than it would be to build over water.

This project shall include an urban lake, riverwalks, canals, and modern roundabouts, which are currently being built all over the city.

The year planned for completion of the bypass channel and canals is 2020. Development is planned do be built right around that time.

More information here:http://www.trinityrivervision.org/

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So I have two questions about this project.

1- In google, this appears to not be an island currently, but rather a plot of land simply adjacent to the river, will they dig the river to surround it?

2. Is this going to be publicly funded infrastructure and privately funded residential construction? Or all publicly funded?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have two questions about this project.

1- In google, this appears to not be an island currently, but rather a plot of land simply adjacent to the river, will they dig the river to surround it?

2. Is this going to be publicly funded infrastructure and privately funded residential construction? Or all publicly funded?
Yes, this is an island that's being built. The area just south of the train tracks will become a bypass channel.

This is mostly private money with more coming from the government. It's a flood pervention project that doubles as a (MUCH needed) redevelopment project between downtown and the Stockyards/Northside.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
^^ Thanks for that response. I've never been to Dallas or Fort Worth, but from what I can tell, Fort Worth seems like the trendier, more interesting downtown, and seems to be attracting development. As I can see from google streetview. This are in particular seems to be a bit neglected. Do you think this level of redevelopment is really possible?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Thanks for that response. I've never been to Dallas or Fort Worth, but from what I can tell, Fort Worth seems like the trendier, more interesting downtown, and seems to be attracting development. As I can see from google streetview. This are in particular seems to be a bit neglected. Do you think this level of redevelopment is really possible?
Which area?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They should build a Light Rail running north to South instead of a Streetcar line. Overall a very impressive plan. Fort Worth seems to have a leg up over Dallas in the Dense city building race dept.
As far as Trinity River plans go, yes. Both Dallas and Fort Worth have their own plans for the river, but Fort Worth's is better in that it's expanding downtown, creating river/lake front property, and adding more opportunities for growth.

We also have an Urban Village program. 16 neighborhoods (this not being one of them) that are being rebuilt and revitalized. West 7th and sections of the Near Southside have shown the most progress, with West 7th being the most successful so far.

BUT, Dallas is still more dense with more vertical development, obviously. We still have a ways to go.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I seriously don't believe vertical buildup is that important, I'd rather have an endless expanse of 5 story buildings radiating out from downtown than a dense collection of 40-60 story buildings in a tight nucleus, surrounded by dead area, like Dallas. I've yet to get to either, but that's certainly what I gather from seeing Dallas in street view and from what I've been told. I think the most important thing for 90% of cities in the US now is eliminating surface lots, once that happens, then we can have a discussion about building more vertically. But I can't help but gawk at the irony of having huge buildings, insinuating high demand for space due to limited geographic free space downtown, when there are surface lots galore. It's the Dubai complex. And Dallas seriously needs to find a cure to it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I seriously don't believe vertical buildup is that important, I'd rather have an endless expanse of 5 story buildings radiating out from downtown than a dense collection of 40-60 story buildings in a tight nucleus, surrounded by dead area, like Dallas. I've yet to get to either, but that's certainly what I gather from seeing Dallas in street view and from what I've been told. I think the most important thing for 90% of cities in the US now is eliminating surface lots, once that happens, then we can have a discussion about building more vertically. But I can't help but gawk at the irony of having huge buildings, insinuating high demand for space due to limited geographic free space downtown, when there are surface lots galore. It's the Dubai complex. And Dallas seriously needs to find a cure to it.
No one is saying that should (or even will) happen with Fort Worth, even on this project. The majority of it will actually be 3-10 story buildings:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New model

The sculpture that exists now will be a better feature with more development around it.

There are now districts and they have names.

- East Island
- West Island
- And the Houseboat District

A look at what the skyline could potentially be...*

This is where the new Panther Island Pavilion is supposed to be after all is built. Looks to feature a fixed amphitheater and plenty of greenspace.

If LaGrave field survives, it could be a mini-Wrigley Field*

"West Island" from I-35

The Marine Creek section of the Stockyards is featured on the new model.

It also features the exact plan of Left Bank

A shot of the highrise in Left Bank, along with the few projected condos on "West Island"

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
This plan is sick! Surprised I haven't heard of this. It seems like one of the most exciting urban developments in the US right now. I'm impressed! I also think Fort Worth is a great city and this will really take it up a notch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why are there no updates on this project?
Currently there is a lot going on, but none of it is very "pretty" or easy to access to photograph. It's a lot of environmental remediation and utilities relocation going on. Mostly, it's just dirt for now. The bridges are having their V piers worked on, which is about the only current visible sign of progress.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts