SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plans unveiled for new £37m police station
October 22nd 2010, by Adrian Pearson, Evening Chronicle

A NEW £37m police station is to be built in the centre of Newcastle.

Northumbria Police have revealed they are to build the new complex behind Newacastle Central Station.

The force’s police authority members have agreed to purchase a site at Forth Banks next to the Stephenson Quarter.

Network Rail currently owns the site but will be handed £5.5m for the land.

The total cost of the new building expected to be around £36.8m.

Northumbria Police currently own part of the Pilgrim Street station, shared with Newcastle magistrates, and all of the Market Street building.

Officers have been using Pilgrim Street since the 1930s and opened the Market Street office in the 1960s.

These will be put up for sale and the funds will help cover some of the cost of the new station, with spending chiefs expected to borrow some cash to help out.

The new site includes the Kings House building, which will be substantially upgraded, and an adjacent Grade II-listed warehouse building, which kept as part of the new station. A new building will be built to the rear of Kings House to link the two others. There will be more then 50 cells in the new building and a 24-hour reception.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...-police-station-72703-27525468/#ixzz135s0umSZ

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
^^ This has to be a big boon for the area. I think one of the barriers to the development of the West Quayside is its removal from the town and the resultant safety concerns that brings when walking though. Having a police station and the 24 hour activity associated with it will really help stimulate the area I think.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had understood that the Police were looking at the island site between the Arena car park and the Globe (WH Smith newspaper wholesaler) some time ago, but I'm quite pleased with this decision as it reuses an existing building and uses up some "dead" space alongside the railway bridge, and would potentially allow the island site mentioned to be used for some other development in due course. It should help to improve "vitality" in the SQ.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
is the grade II listed warehouse the concrete forth goods depot? If so fantastic news that it will be brought back into use. :banana:

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Great re-use of those beautiful old buildings and as ToonLad says, it'll really make that end of town feel so much safer. Plus it'll bring a large number of workers to that end of town, giving small local businesses a bit of a boost. Sounds like a good deal for everyone involved!

Stu has a point though, is the Police Station on Pilgrim St listed? If not, it should be... I'm guessing that the developers (their name escapes me) who are buying up the East Pilgrim St area will be buying it and I'd hate to see them knock it down!

·
The Legend
13,306 Posts
I think Pilgrim street will run alongside the new station, the whole point (by the looks of the article) of a new station is to compliment the existing station and to relieve overcrowding. This is great news for the Stephenson quarter, not only is it showing more faith in the area but it's added investment, and as people have said, some people might feel unsafe in that area so this is a great positive.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The article says they're looking to consolidate to one site in the city centre, and sell off the Pilgrim St site to fund part of the new development. So Forth Banks will be City Centre HQ by the sounds of things.

Cracking building they're leaving....I always think that corner site of the Police/Fire Station wouldn't look out of place in Chicago or NYC...proper Ghost Busters HQ!

I'm assuming the court would move too? So much consolidating going on with the legal system...Gosforth ones closing etc. If so, I hope they do something with the cracking interiors! Hotel/Restaurants could make some really interesting use of the panelled staircases and grand rooms in there....remember, Malmaison made a jail in Oxford into a hotel, so crazier things have happened....

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Listing contrary to what some people believe is not just the exterior, but also the interior. Sometimes the interiors are the reason the building has been listed.

I agree about the style paddy, really American. This street must have been amazing when the Old Odeon was a Paramount cinema, like something from an MGM film as the place has a kinda old studio backlot appearance.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I reckon this is a win-win situation for all, 2 listed buildings brought back into use and preserved, more new construction jobs, some much needed vitality brought to a burgeoning business quarter and releasing a fine building into the EPS mix.

However in a week when swingeing cuts were announced in the public sector (including calls for many regional police forces to merge) I do wonder where Northumbria's finest get their money from, having opened a very swanky multi-million pound area command centre at Wallsend just this year. I guess all those speeding fines dont go to waste.....

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
It is odd how some public sector organisations still have a fair bit of cash sloshing around. Newcastle Uni is still spending like crazy, although in fairness to them they've been quietly saving up, so shouldn't have that money taken from them to give to less financially asute organisations.

In regards to the police relocation though, it sounds like they have to move anyway and are selling a high value site and buying a larger, low value site in a well-linked up-and-coming position. Plus, with plenty of land nearby to expand onto, maybe they have an eye upon the pressure for forces to merge? The funds raised from selling one HQ building might not fund the new station completely, but the funds from selling two or three force HQs might..?

·
The Legend
13,306 Posts
So have Northumbria Police been offerd a deal they cannot refuse for the EPS station by a developer/company that has plans for it?, or are they selling now for a price that reflects the current condition of the area?, or are they going to hold on untill the area has been developed and take advantage of it's increased value?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Great re-use of those beautiful old buildings
Some pictures of the proposed Police station site as it is today and ready for you to start a new thread for the site as and when you decide to.

The old goods warehouse is in some state! As luck would have it today, it looks like someone is in the process of renewing the wood on the scaffolding around it. This scaffolding has been up for YEARS so this is more likely a H&S thing in renewing the wood, rather than it being done for any work starting imminently.....unless anyone knows different of course?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Some pictures of the proposed Police station site as it is today and ready for you to start a new thread for the site as and when you decide to.
First off, great photos, thanks. I agree that a new thread should get set up for this project as it is seperate from the Stephenson Quarter development. Perhaps wait until the planning application is made so we can have all of the details, plans and photos put together, if everyone else agrees with this?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Not sure if it's the start of the main work to transform the site, into the police station, or just work to stop the decay of this building, but they have been working on replacing the roof of the good warehouse building over the last few days.

Will get new pictures when I get a chance, but the northerly part, visible from my living room in The Bar Apartments, has just about been completed.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,379 Posts
Not sure if it's the start of the main work to transform the site, into the police station, or just work to stop the decay of this building, but they have been working on replacing the roof of the good warehouse building over the last few days.

Will get new pictures when I get a chance, but the northerly part, visible from my living room in The Bar Apartments, has just about been completed.
So where exactly is this building Stamford?

1 - 20 of 165 Posts