SkyscraperCity banner

341 - 346 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Great photo. Do you know what year it was taken?

Cheers
GBDT
Taken from below website:-

Blurb-

Frontispiece Forth Goods station, NER, photographed on 24 July 1948. Newcastle Central passenger station is to the left. Forth Goods was built in 1870 and extended to the east in 1891–4. All that is left of it today are the goods offices, shared with the District Engineer and built in 1903, which stand behind the main goods shed, and the 1906 concrete-framed extension to the shed itself, to the right of the offi ce block. [EAW017454]

It is one of those photos you can stare at for hours, and soak up all the history all at once!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Land between King Edward Bridge and Redheugh Bridge
My friend from school used to live in Dale Street which is one of two streets right next to the King Edward Bridge. Very industrial in those days. Long since demolished.
This is the area of the latest potential redevelopment.
When I attended the presentation for the other proposed scheme, further west, I seem to recall they said the city council owned the land in between the two bridges.
Map of the area

·
Registered
20,617 Posts
Council backs hundreds of new flats for eyesore land off Pottery Laner next to River Tyne, despite 'Soviet' complaint

Chronicle Live website article from 20/09/20

EXTRACTS

Council backs hundreds of new flats for eyesore land next to River Tyne, despite 'Soviet' complaint

Councillors approved the Pottery Lane plans on Friday morning, even though objectors had complained that the “bland” scheme failed to take full advantage of its spectacular location

It is hoped that the two U-shaped blocks will help towards the regeneration of the Forth Yards area to the west of the city centre.

Ged Bell, the council’s cabinet member for employment and culture, said: “Anyone who comes into Newcastle by train or car will view the area west of Central Station as a bit of an eyesore.

“This application on that site is an example of developer-led regeneration underlining the confidence that is in our housing market.

“It’s a high-quality development on an unused site inaccessible for generations which will create job opportunities for local people

Full article on Hundreds of flats approved for 'eyesore' riverside spot

KEN

·
The Legend
13,182 Posts
As others have said, it being closed off from pretty much everywhere is a problem. Despite it being right in the heart of the city centre, it’s not a part of it. At the very least it should have a good wide access to the river. At least you can walk down the road to Stephenson Quarter and to the Arena, whatever may be there in future.

Another problem is that retail is on the decline. Independent small cafe’s and such are the future for places like this, however Stephenson quarter will have all that tied up. The buildings remind me of New York apartments wher on the ground floor you have a coffee shop and launderette. The problem is that unlike New York it’s not going to get much footfall during the day for a coffee shop to be variable, not more than one at most in anyway, and it’s modern building where people will have their own washing facilities.

A Metro station at Stephenson quarter isn’t going to happen. It’s too close to Central station, and is very much the same location as Central station. Once the southern entrances to Central station open up, this will open up the Central station Metro station to the Stephenson quarter, and these apartments.
Ideally it would be nice if one of the buildings was a hotel or leisure facilities much like the Boiler shop, at las it’s not, and the area is now destined to be an apartment heavy area, which in turn will effectively turn into a private estate as no one will have a need to go there unless they live there. In saying this with it’s proximity to the city centre and the Stephenson Quarter, which I maintain is the up and coming area of Newcastle, I can still see the appeal to living there.

341 - 346 of 346 Posts