·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol:

Fortitude Valley 'rougher than Surfers Paradise'
Article from: Gold Coast Bulletin

June 24, 2008 11:00am

THE Gold Coast has hit back at recent criticism of Surfers Paradise, with the Bulletin newspaper claiming Brisbane's Fortitude Valley can be even rougher.

A team of Bulletin reporters spent a night in Brisbane's alternative precinct, and were shocked at the drugged and drunken behaviour they witnessed.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23913597-3102,00.html

LOL they are fighting over which is more dangerous. Love it. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
19,481 Posts
The thing that amused me about the Valley article is that one person from New Zealand commented about the dress sense of girls - the fact that they wear too little and try to look older than they are.

Perhaps that person should come back to the Viaduct in Auckland now. The Viaduct resembles the Valley in many ways in my experience as you have people chucking up over the rails into the harbour after falling out of the clubs too. I guess the drinking culture between Australia and New Zealand is much the same.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
To be honest I feel safer in The Valley. Surfers is full of holiday makers and people from suburban Brisbane who don't give two rats about the local area. The Valley is different - sure its changed from its subculture past but that subculture still lives despite the thousands of "suburbanites" who visit.

I think The Valley would have to be one of the most eclectic, busy and vibrant hubs in Australia and with so many people crowded in one place all having fun on drugs and alcahol its a wonder there isn't more fights etc.

Also Surfers Paradise doesn't have the same 'vibe' as The Valley. I mean at 2am there are litterally crowds of people, you can't move. Combine that with music flooding out of every club, buskers on ever corner, valley art, lights, gridlocked traffic (yes at 2am) and you have a pretty amazing place!

Last Saturday night the only way you could walk up Ann Street was to zig-zag through the gridlocked traffic (uni students are free now to party)

I don't think Surfers has the same vibe. Also Surfers gets those idiots who drive around with 'doof doof' emerging from their cars - bogans! Valley doesn't have the bogan's.

As for the mess and throwing up - you just have to watch where you walk.

J

·
7,983 Posts
The Valley is actually quite shit now IMO. About 5yrs ago (or around 2001-2003) was when it was at is best. No fights, every was cool, no strict dress codes, not much police presence. Now it resembles what the city used to and is like. Too many bogans and wankers have infested the place, clubs pick which people they want in there, bouncers are out of control, and fights are happening all the time.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
The Valley is actually quite shit now IMO. About 5yrs ago (or around 2001-2003) was when it was at is best. No fights, every was cool, no strict dress codes, not much police presence. Now it resembles what the city used to and is like. Too many bogans and wankers have infested the place, clubs pick which people they want in there, bouncers are out of control, and fights are happening all the time.
It was the Gays and alternates that made The Valley Cool - the bogans just followed as usual.

Same thing is happening to Sydney's Oxford Street though not on the same scale.

There has been a lot of talk amongst gay circles - we wanna make Spring Hill into the new Valley - like the Valley of old when a bunch of drag queens could walk the streets without anyone noticing, when you could smoke a joint without the cops breathing down your neck - where anything goes and usually did.

j

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
I thought Spring Hill has had a gay thing going already, and going back 15-20 years? Not my scene of course, but everyone else is free to do whatever they want.

Valley is OK in parts, I actually think it is a little over-rated, but that's probably me getting too old for some of it. That Met is an impressive place, very big inside. But some of the places on the mall are very tatty.

I never feel that the Valley is very safe if you leave the main parts, I wouldn't suggest getting too far from the bright lights.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
The Valley is always going to be a tough one. The council and developers can throw heaps of money into the place but it will only do so much. It is isnt an easy pleasant walk from the CBD, the park opposite All Hallowes has always had its fair share of unpleasant residents. And as long as traffic races through Ann and Adelaide Streets it will always be perceived as grubby. Is that a bad thing though? Every major city has areas like this. And its certainly not a no go area. Spend 5 minutes hanging around most central city train stations in Continental Europe and appreciate that Brunswick Street Station isnt that bad at all. And for the record, as rough and gritty as it is to this day I feel much more comfortable/safe in the Valley than Surfers, especially at night. But then you just have to keep your wits about you in the Valley, be aware of who is around you and stay off the quiet back streets that you have no reason to go on anyway.

I also reckon the Valley was at its best in about 1993 I reckon. I learnt alot of life lessons on Brunswick Street, usually at about 2am. :) Also back then saw Jackie Chan there filming some small part for a forgettable movie in Duncan Street. Took my girlfriend especially to see him, and really had to persuade her to go. She was terrified of the place.

Even now she will go if she has to, but for some reason will never buy food or eat in the Valley. Even in McWhirters food court which is decent enough. Couldnt even be tempted by St Honore bakery.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
The Valley is always going to be a tough one. The council and developers can throw heaps of money into the place but it will only do so much. It is isnt an easy pleasant walk from the CBD, the park opposite All Hallowes has always had its fair share of unpleasant residents. And as long as traffic races through Ann and Adelaide Streets it will always be perceived as grubby. Is that a bad thing though? Every major city has areas like this. And its certainly not a no go area. Spend 5 minutes hanging around most central city train stations in Continental Europe and appreciate that Brunswick Street Station isnt that bad at all. And for the record, as rough and gritty as it is to this day I feel much more comfortable/safe in the Valley than Surfers, especially at night. But then you just have to keep your wits about you in the Valley, be aware of who is around you and stay off the quiet back streets that you have no reason to go on anyway.

I also reckon the Valley was at its best in about 1993 I reckon. I learnt alot of life lessons on Brunswick Street, usually at about 2am. :) Also back then saw Jackie Chan there filming some small part for a forgettable movie in Duncan Street. Took my girlfriend especially to see him, and really had to persuade her to go. She was terrified of the place.

Even now she will go if she has to, but for some reason will never buy food or eat in the Valley. Even in McWhirters food court which is decent enough. Couldnt even be tempted by St Honore bakery.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
That's a shame to hear locals think it has gone downhill. I was there in 2005 (went to Zoo), and had a good time-- similar atmosphere to the lower end of Chapel Street (in Windsor/Prahran-- the good end). Brisbane city and Surfers was a tad trash (except Berlin Bar was an exception).

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
bah its overrated the violence they they talk about..

im not saying that i would take my kids or pregnant wife there at 2am in the morning, but its not that bad that you need to really worry.

Yeah there is always going to be violence when you have that many nightclubs, patrons and alcahol all in such a small area. But i dont feel unsafe, i see people provoke other people and get in fights that way, but rarely do things happen for no reason at all.

There is such a tight security and police presence there as well that it they get broken up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I used to live in the heart of the Valley and never felt unsafe there. I'd go to the shop or wherever at all hours, and walk through the park opposite All Hallows, on my way to the city, and never had a problem. The problems with 'druggies', homeless people, etc., are wildly exaggerated. People love to exaggerate it because it's exciting to think that there's somewhere edgy and dangerous in Brisbane. In truth, you're more likely to get bashed walking the streets in some suburban yobbo place like Oxley or Nundah.

·
Registered
794 Posts
^^^ Another well thought out commentary from our resident dickhead. You really have a chip on your shoulder about Brisbane don't you? 'People love to exaggerate it because it's exciting to think that there's somewhere edgy and dangerous in Brisbane.' What happened, you got picked on up here or something?

As for the Valley, it's still an eye opener and a great place to explore and do whatever, whenever, but I agree it isn't what it was even 3 years ago. My boyfriend and I could walk the streets hand in hand, now we have to really take in our surroundings before we make that judgement call.

It's unfortunately the meat heads and sluts that have bastardised the Valley from their usual city area. They've all tried to swamp into the Valley from the city and convert it into the right whing, footy loving area they're used to in the CBD. They haven't succeeded, but at times it's a struggle. But I guess you get that in every city, something that isoboy here struggles to grasp..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Are you OK? All I said was that people love to exaggerate the violence in The Valley. That's not a criticism of The Valley itself, that's a criticism of the way people overstate the 'danger' and the 'violence' in the area. Your words about the Valley were actually far more critical than mine, claiming that the place is full of "meat heads and sluts" and that it's been "bastardised". Take a Bex and have a good lie down, love - it'll do you a world of good. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think the risks in both the Valley and Surfers have been overstated in this thread. Having delivered pizzas in the Valley back in '97/'98 to get me through Uni, I can honestly say that I never once felt threatened even in the most sketchy of areas (and yes I know that is a long time ago now). All I can say is that neither has a bar on central Lima or La Paz!

Of course, no matter where ever you are on the planet, you always should have your wits about you.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
BRISBANErocks--

A little oversensitive-- don't you think? To larger or smaller degree's- what isoboy said applies to all Australian cities.

In Melbourne's case I'd rather walk down Smith Street, Collingwood at 3am on a Sunday morning than be stranded at Laverton Station, put it that way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts