SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 432 Posts

·
22,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be a good idea to have this thread so members can request things such as title changes, closure of threads for cancelled projects and other forum housekeeping.

Just post the requests here so I can keep track of them :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think it would be good if the Summary of projects thread that Joe King is doing is edited. Remove all the construction photos and shitetalking and put it into another thread. Leave Joe to do the thread his way as a full summary instead of it going on and on like any other

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
We could do with a subforum in the ROI forum for transport so we can separate them from building projects.

You could also do the same with the NI forum.

It would be tidier.

Also subforums for Dublin, Cork and Belfast as is practice elsewhere on the forum would be a good idea.

ROI ---> Greater Dublin Area, Cork (elsewhere outside)
NI ---> Greater Belfast Area (elsewhere outside)

·
22,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think additional subforums within the existing NI and RoI subforums are required to be honest, the number of threads doesn't justify it.

Cork has one or two threads and activity from other Irish cities is minuscule. I think the current NI and RoI subforums are sufficient and given that most comments and threads relate to either Belfast or Dublin separating those off may leave the rest of the forum somewhat redundant. I've had a look at various other forums within the UK/Ire section and our current set-up seems very similar to places like Scotland and others. We also seem to have a better set-up than places with much greater activity such as Manchester and Birmingham.

·
22,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it would be good if the Summary of projects thread that Joe King is doing is edited. Remove all the construction photos and shitetalking and put it into another thread. Leave Joe to do the thread his way as a full summary instead of it going on and on like any other

I'll speak to Joe and see what he thinks. I don't think removing construction photos is something I'd like to do, I want members to be able to contribute their construction images. We could maybe look at a new 'Construction' thread where people can post. That or we have individual threads for building projects and post construction images in there, similar to some of the already existing threads within the NI section or places like Manchester, Glasgow and so on.

·
22,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have a look at the transport subforum option. There's more transport threads than I initially thought. There's not enough to justify one for NI but RoI could maybe benefit from one. That or we have an all-Island transport subforum that sits below the NI and RoI subforums. Thoughts?

If we did have a transport subforum then we'd move things like DU and MN as well to keep it all within one area.

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
I don't think it can really stay as it is wrt transport. Over the last few months the forum has been getting busier as new projects come on stream. It's going to get more and more messy if the transport projects are mixed in with building projects. There is more than enough transport projects on the island to justify a dedicated subforum. There is more than enough in Dublin alone to justify it.

It seems a neat and logical solution to put them all in a dedicated subforum and just use city prefixes to differentiate them like we do now.

I would argue both Belfast and Dublin should have transport subfora.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I don't want to delete anybodys construction photos either, i think people really like them. I'm just saying remove everything from the summary thread and put it elsewhere. Have the summary thread for Joe to sort out as a quick go to for all the updats. Discussion and construction photos elsewhere.

What Joe has done on the first page of that thread is great, it should be let alone and not cluttered up

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I don't think there's anywhere near enough transport developments to justify a transport subforum. If you look at what happens on the London forum, there are quite a few big projects but they are mostly covered on the homepage transport section. Ireland and second tier English cities hasn't made much use of that but then again as the projects are of the 'bus stop improvements' variety they are best to stay in the main Irish pages. I also don't think there's enough going on building wise to further split the republic & especially northern forums into construction/ general talk forums. The idea of a thread for every individual project seems cold & clinical to me. Useful if a newcomer to the city wants to know every single project going on at the moment, otherwise a bit boring and not conductive to talking. I know that's the way Skyscrapercity is going and seems to be official policy and all but I would resist going further in that direction.

Option 3: Do nothing.

·
Registered
715 Posts
To be honest, what annoys me is that the Ireland forum is stuck somewhere in the middle of a list of UK cities. That is where things should be reorganised into Britain and Ireland.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Think of it like this though, being visibile to the rest of the UK forums brings in more traffic for the Irish threads. And I think having one more sub forum to click through is a bad thing. What could be looked at is putting Ireland higher up the home page than it is now, it's got a higher population than Wales in particular and more threads than the likes of Home Counties. Not that this is that important though.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Dublin should have its own subforum because Dub threads (and there will be more) are suffocating other cities and general threads.
Also Irish Architecture Forum should be on the main 'UK & Ireland Architecture Forums' list.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I think a transport sub forum which sits along side the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland sub forums is a good idea. There certainly isnt enough activity to justify further sub forums within those sub forums. Having a dedicated sub forum would lead to more threads being created and more posts rather than everything being thrown into a couple of general threads as we have now.

The sub forum could be widened beyond just transport infrastructure to include things like broadband, electrical and gas networks which span the border. Between that and transport (road, rail, ports, etc.) there should be enough to keep a somewhat active sub forum going. Even if certain threads dont generate a lot of discussion, I think it can be useful to have threads where people can post articles they have read which others may have missed.

·
22,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sub forum could be widened beyond just transport infrastructure to include things like broadband, electrical and gas networks which span the border. Between that and transport (road, rail, ports, etc.) there should be enough to keep a somewhat active sub forum going. Even if certain threads dont generate a lot of discussion, I think it can be useful to have threads where people can post articles they have read which others may have missed.

Yeah I was thinking of having more than just transport. Things like broadband, the power grid and so on as you mention.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
While I appreciate that the number of posters and daily activity mightn't justify sub-dividing the forum further than it is at present I do feel that sometimes Dublin does absorb so much of the attention and interest of our posters that it can sometimes obscure stuff happening in other Irish cities and out of the cities altogether. It'd be great perhaps if you could filter the sub-forums and see just Dublin-only threads or non-Dublin threads. Then it would be easier for posters to find the non-Dublin discussions and thereby find it easier to contribute and make those discussions more developed.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yeah I was thinking of having more than just transport. Things like broadband, the power grid and so on as you mention.
I had a look about through only the last three pages of threads on the Rep of Ireland forum and identified the following threads as potentials for an infrastructure sub forum;

Transport Projects in Ireland
DUBLIN | Luas Cross City
Ireland's new motorway network
DART underground likely to go ahead
Dublin Metro Thread
Dublin Port launches 2011-2040 Masterplan
LUAS light rail construction updates
DUBLIN | DART Airport Extension
DUBLIN | DART, Luas and Commuter rail services
Shannon/Cork Airports news
DUBLIN | Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge
New Deep Water Port in Mouth of the Shannon
Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) for Irish cities?
National (N) and Regional (R) Roads
Dublin's trams in the early 20th century
DUBLIN | Water Supply Project
DUBLIN: DART Underground thread
Newlands Cross Upgrade
DUBLIN | City Centre Transport Assessment Study

Throw in a few thread on the other areas mentioned above and it could be a decent sub forum.

1 - 20 of 432 Posts