Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
22,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a request from me, SSC admin have now implemented a php image resizing tag.

Please use [/resize=?] and ‘wrap’ this around the normal tags when posting images to automatically resize them.

Members that continue to post large images will still have the tags removed.

The forum maximum is 1024.[/resize]

·
10th February 2008
61,599 Posts
Following a request from me SSC admin have now implemented a php image resizing tag.

Please use [/resize=?]and ‘wrap’ this around the normal tags when posting images to automatically resize them.

Members that continue to post large images will still have the tags removed.

The forum maximum is 1024.[/resize]
Was going to ask about that.

Thanks.

Think 1280x1024 is a good size as well. Postimages — free image hosting / image upload (have a go)

2 points worth noting and discussing with SSC Admin.

Panoramic picture's will appear really small and thin at that size. 1024. Little or no point in posting them. And vertical taken picture's will also look small and thin. You have to oversize both to post/show them properly on a forum.

But there have been some absolute whoppers that have stretched the pages and have made the normal size posts and picture's really small looking. And squashed them to the left hand side of the page.

Example. Nothing more. Scottie. Post 5392. MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction[/resize][/resize][/QUOTE]

·
22,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate panoramic pictures won’t be show at their best but a 1024px version and link to full size is reasonable IMO

We have to consider all users and the fact more people are browsing on their phones and massive pictures completely distorts the forum view. There’s also the issue of considering a member’s bandwidth.

1280px is possible when using the resize tags but I can’t guarantee the post won’t be changed to 1024px

·
10th February 2008
61,599 Posts
I appreciate panoramic pictures won’t be show at their best but a 1024px version and link to full size is reasonable IMO

We have to consider all users and the fact more people are browsing on their phones and massive pictures completely distorts the forum view. There’s also the issue of considering a member’s bandwidth.

1280px is possible when using the resize tags but I can’t guarantee the post won’t be changed to 1024px
I agree.

Just airing those issues.

TBH a maximum picture size is long over due. At least we'll have continuity.

I'll set Postimage to 1024 resize going forward.

·
22,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Members are continuing to ignore the 1024px forum standard in City Talk. I don’t have time to edit every post so persistent abusers will simply have the post deleted. You have now been warned.

Members can simply add the [ resize=1024] at the start of a post and finish with [/resize ] and that will resize every image in that post. It’s really not much to ask for.

(Use the tags without the space, that’s just there so it appears as text)

·
22,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Twitter and Instagram post embed is now supported on the forum :yes:

Example below;

To embed simply wrap the [ TWEET ] tags around the last numerical portion of the post's web address, similar to how you would embed a YouTube video.

·
13,365 Posts
For those of you who are wondering what happened to the 'Lost London' thread, it is now located in the 'Skylines, Streetscapes and Photography' forum on the main UK page. There is also a 'Lost Britain' thread on the same forum.

·
13,365 Posts
There's been two Present Skylines & Cityscapes threads running concurrently since October 2020.

The old thread has been closed and any posts from last October onwards have now been moved to the new thread.

A link for the old thread has been added to the first post in the new thread.

·
13,365 Posts
Can we please keep any My City vs Your City posts to the correct thread? There's been several 'versus' threads started/restarted in the last few weeks or so and we'll soon have a ton of them. Then we'll start getting crossovers which has already happened so let's keep it simple folks.

My City vs Your City.

Thanks.

·
13,365 Posts
I've recently taken the 'Sunrise and Sunsets' thread which was down the bottom of page one of City Talk and added it to a similar but much older and larger thread.

The resulting new thread has been moved to the Skylines, Streetscapes and Photography forum which is also in the UK forum. A link for the thread is United Kingdom | Sunrises And Sunsets | Skyscraper City Forum

·
13,365 Posts
Further to my moderator message post/thread, which most City Talk posters will have seen, here is the link (2) GENERAL FORUM RULES | Skyscraper City Forum

Let's all enjoy City Talk as it's a fabulous forum. It's a great chance for people to showcase their home town or learn about others, to discuss your thoughts and hear a different point of view, to start a new thread (as long as there's not ten existing ones on the same subject) or to reinvigorate an old thread of interest.

One change I'd like to see is more representation from across the UK and Ireland. Big city or small town, let's hear about it.

Ralph.

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
Further to my moderator message post/thread, which most City Talk posters will have seen, here is the link (2) GENERAL FORUM RULES | Skyscraper City Forum

Let's all enjoy City Talk as it's a fabulous forum. It's a great chance for people to showcase their home town or learn about others, to discuss your thoughts and hear a different point of view, to start a new thread (as long as there's not ten existing ones on the same subject) or to reinvigorate an old thread of interest.

One change I'd like to see is more representation from across the UK and Ireland. Big city or small town, let's hear about it.

Ralph.
Ralph,

Do you know who moderates the skybar? It seems little moderated at all. It is the most toxic, genuinely bigoted place on the whoe of the UK forums - beating 'City Bashing' by a long margin for that title. Some of the posters seem to think they are untouchable.

·
13,365 Posts
Ralph,

Do you know who moderates the skybar? It seems little moderated at all. It is the most toxic, genuinely bigoted place on the whoe of the UK forums - beating 'City Bashing' by a long margin for that title. Some of the posters seem to think they are untouchable.
It isn't moderated Jane and no one will touch it.

Are you putting yourself forward? ;)

Actually, I think you'd do a great job.

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
It isn't moderated Jane and no one will touch it.

Are you putting yourself forward? ;)

Actually, I think you'd do a great job.
Ha!ha! As if.......

Seriously, though, it is truly awful.

What about somone higher up - Jan, or someone? People think they can say what they want there ( name calling/abuse/ actual bigotry) and there is no sanction.

·
22,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha!ha! As if.......

Seriously, though, it is truly awful.

What about somone higher up - Jan, or someone? People think they can say what they want there ( name calling/abuse/ actual bigotry) and there is no sanction.
Moderators receive reports for any flagged posts. Just flag it and it'll be looked at. Moderators don't have time to check every thread and post on the site, we rely on users reporting comments for review.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts