Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
126,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start my Madrid series with something modern. I actually wasn't too interested in skyscrapers. I wanted to see some historic buildings and monuments.

1. These 4 skyscrapers caught my attention. They are all simple in design, but their slight differences make them quite elegant, and each seems to stand out in their own way.

3. I made a quick stop just to see these buildings. For a long time, I actually forgot about them while I was madly rushing to see the historic part of the city.

7. Taking the train out of the city is a fun experience. Spain's high speed trains are very modern and comfortable.

8. The subway system is incredible. There are a lot of lines, and the facilities are quite maintained.

9. I now start moving away from modernity to see what's more historic in Madrid. To start, here is a fairly interesting jet parked at the airport. I have never seen a Cuban airliner before, and I don't think it's a new jet.

11. I was surprised how many architectural details Madrid's old buildings had. The city feels much different from Barcelona. I knew I was in trouble. I didn't have enough time to explore.

13. The wonderful weather I had in Lisbon followed me into Madrid, and the wonderful skies gave a very nice backdrop for these old buildings.

15. Here is Sol, a major gathering place.

17. I didn't see much blatant billboard advertising until I got to here. I believe there is a story about this sign. I have to dig my guide book to find out what it was.

20. Hey .. a double decker sightseeing bus ...

26. As usual, I like to explore the side streets and wander into nowhere, and emerge in some corner amazed at the surprise finding.

27. Surprise!

32. The designs don't seem quite uniform, which made exploring far more fun. Was it a requirement to make buildings look different from each other?

36. Who will save the lady and throw the man a beer?

40. Prado is quite an attraction, but I didn't have time for it. Rather than try to do the impossible and squeeze 1 day into 1 hour, I will come back to Madrid for this.

46. Wonder how much it costs to live here.

More from Madrid in the next part. If you can't wait, the whole collection is on my website :
http://www.globalphotos.org/madrid.htm

·
35,718 Posts
Great job, thanks for sharing!! Nice to see you soon here.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
very good thread!

and what diferences did you found, like a tourist, between that two great cities?
11. I was surprised how many architectural details Madrid's old buildings had. The city feels much different from Barcelona. I knew I was in trouble. I didn't have enough time to explore.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Don't you find the two first photos quite "gothic" with these high towers surrounded by the lower residential buildings?

·
126,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very good thread!

and what diferences did you found, like a tourist, between that two great cities?
Barcelona seemed more historic, and more photogenic with the hill and water setting, while Madrid seemed more grand. The architecture was still nice, but far more recent (say, last hundred years), and toned down compared to the random playfulness I felt in Barcelona (probably the Gaudi effect). At first I expected something chaotic, like a toned-down version of Mexico City, but it wasn't as congested as I thought, and the subway system was very efficient and easy to use. There seemed less pickpockets as well.

·
126,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hkskyline's 2008 MADRID Photo Collection Part 2

1. I begin Part 2 of my Madrid series with a tour of the architectural highlights in the historic centre. Let's start off with an ornate door.

3. Beyond these walls lie a wilderness in the heart of the city.

5. The sight of something like this no longer strikes me as much ... having been to a number of European cities.

7. The palace's design seems quite simplistic.

8. I wonder how did Madrid preserve this huge forest through all these years of development and expansion? It seemed a bit odd it turns green like that just after these buildings,and a vibrant city lies on the other side of the divide.

15. March along the corridors and feel like royalty.

17. I'd get quite a lot of content for a statues and monuments of Madrid thread.

22. This looks like a castle adopted for the city.

24. This looks like a fairy tale castle wrongly-placed in the city.

28. Notice the distinct border between urban and wilderness.

30. Not too sure how this seemingly ancient monument made it here. Doesn't appear to be a replica.

38. I ventured back to Almudena Cathedral for the observation area. It better be good!

45. It wasn't too high up, but high enough to peer over other people's rooftops. Not too many skyscrapers to block the harmony.

49. Yikes ...

59. The other side looked far more promising. Did it slope down a lot all of a sudden?

·
17,263 Posts
8. I wonder how did Madrid preserve this huge forest through all these years of development and expansion? It seemed a bit odd it turns green like that just after these buildings,and a vibrant city lies on the other side of the divide.
It belonged to Spanish Royal family, so they preserved it as a private haunting place until 1931, in that year the Republic declared it a public park.

30. Not too sure how this seemingly ancient monument made it here. Doesn't appear to be a replica.
It's "templo de Debod", a true egiptian temple (II century b.C.), a present of Egypt in exchange of the help of spanish archeologists to save Abu Simbel when Aswan dam was built.

·
Neon overdose
3,993 Posts
Interesting sight from La Almudena, i haven't visited that observation area. I like that way Madrid changes it's style and shapes depending wich direction you are looking at. I'm looking for your next update, hkskyline ;)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
... and yes, all that yellow layer in the sky is Madrid's most famous element: pollution.
I still wonder how haven't we turned out yet tentacles or horns or something like that... :devil:

·
126,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hkskyline's 2008 MADRID Photo Collection Part 3

1. I now try to figure out my bearings and decide where to go next. I decided to head that way!

2. ... since I came from that way!

3. But before I go, a few more shots from the observation deck.

10. I'm now back on the ground and on the way to Plaza Mayor. I expected a huge tourist trap.

12. Calle Mayor has some interesting buildings on both sides lined up.

18. A redundancy to reduce the margin of error.

24. These signs bring some warmness to the city. It's not just a cold sterile placard saying a few words anymore.

32. Plaza Mayor is not on Calle Mayor actually. I had to turn into a side street to find the gate into this huge square.

33. The buildings look very nice, and the square is huge. I like the restaurants fronting right on it so there is a relaxing place for people to eat and stare at the foot traffic.

39. Although a few extra benches would have been better.

42. Madrid's tourist traps don't charge an arm and a leg either.

45. I was a bit hungry, but wanted to walk a bit further, so I headed out and walked towards Sol. A few more interesting buildings lined the streets.

More in the next part!

Part 1 : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=899888
Part 2 : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=902468

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'd like to see them of course, and if you visited Barcelona as well it would be fine too that you upload your report of this city... it will be delighting for sure!

thank you for that nice pics!

·
126,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hkskyline's 2008 MADRID Photo Collection Part 4

1. Beautiful architectural details abound - all very well-kept.

7. I had a decent lunch, and had to walk off the excess weight with more sightseeing by foot for the afternoon! With such beautiful weather, I just can't resist!

8. Although I lived in the US for a time, my Spanish is absolutely disastrous. Sometimes I got creative when English didn't work. There was even one time I had to resort to using French.

11. Madrid's streets were generally clean. I've seen far worse in France and I thought Spain was generally quite good.

12. Madrid's architecture was very different from Barcelona. It's grand, and beautiful, but not as creative as the Gaudi stuff. But nevertheless, the variety and large numbers of nice buildings lining the streets made very pretty sights.

23. I was walking back towards Plaza Mayor, but through different streets to see more off the typical tourist beat.

24. Afternoon tea, anyone?

25. I did a very ambitious walk south towards Puerta de Toledo. Now looking back, I somewhat regretted doing this long detour, as it tired me out and there wasn't too much to see en route. But then, I fitted everything into my tight schedule somehow, so I guess it didn't do me harm to explore this part of town.

31. Lovely mural and cozy square with restaurants. A great urban space doesn't need to be so monumental and grand.

37. Although I knew exactly where I was going, I seemed abit lost amidst all these buildings. There weren't many items featured in my guidebook so it seemed really off the typical tourist beat.

42. As the afternoon sun reached the streets, the photos turned out the best with the perfect lighting.

More from my walk in the next part and the ultimate prize!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts