SkyscraperCity banner

661 - 680 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Slightly off-topic but to compliment the development in the area, I propose a fantasy re-development of Fountain Park. I'd keep the underground car park as the area does require a degree of parking and this is, obviously, better managed underground. Access would be from the West Approach Road only. On the roof of this car-park (street-level), I propose a large urban park/square with lots of trees and seating. Space for a pop-up market at weekends would be a great draw for the area too. In the centre of the space, a monument or sculpture would be commissioned to represent the area's industrial heritage. I'd replace the current retail-park units with 6/7-storey buildings centred around the urban park/square. Each block would have its own style but be sympathetic to the surrounding area. The lower floors would host restaurants and entertainment venues; the upper floors being mixed-use residential, tech-incubator, office and arts spaces. Dundee Street and Fountainbridge themselves would see street trees and segregated cycle lanes added. Across the road, the current MOT garage would be replaced with a health and community centre interlinked Boroughmuir HS, comprising GP practices, gym space and a community hall/town hall space for local events and consultation with government. All a fantasy, however! I foresee us being stuck with retail-park boxes for many years to come.
Well it is in Fountainbridge, so its not off-topic in my book :)

Fountain Park has always struck me as having so much wasted space (from a developers point of view) in the front area above the car park. There could have been so much more done with that area, be it more retail, leisure, local ammenties i.e. GP surgery, dentist etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the units between the Virgin Cinema and Megabowl (as they were named when it first opened) meant to open as retail spaces, before the current owners decided to get get rid of the corridor and extend the units to the pavement?

All that being said, I actually like the openness at the front.

Interesting thoughts on the Kwik-Fit and the anonymous grey garage looking buildings next to it (probably used blood farms for the vampires Blade is trying to rid the world of! :LOL:). They look out of place in the area now. I wonder if the owners will sell up to developers in the next few years. The land value alone must be worth 10 times what the current buildings are worth!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the units between the Virgin Cinema and Megabowl (as they were named when it first opened) meant to open as retail spaces, before the current owners decided to get get rid of the corridor and extend the units to the pavement?
You are correct, but the unit(s) sat empty for over a decade. When it first opened there was some kind of motion simulator cinema thing there, then a bingo hall.

·
11,454 Posts
Update on CEC's search for a development partner - Councils restart multi-billion regeneration plans | EG News - 29/09/20:

In Edinburgh, the council has set a fresh deadline for bids for its £170m Fountainbridge redevelopment of 16 October, with an optional negotiation stage expected to end 13 November.

CEC initially launched its search for a development partner on the mixed-use scheme in 2019. In March, prior to lockdown, the council selected a shortlist of six developers out of 10 applications. However, due to the pressures in response to coronavirus, it was forced to set an open-ended completion for tenders.

The new submission date would see a preferred bidder selected early next year, 10 years after the council acquired the site from Lloyds via its former arms-length development company.

“The property market is often first to suffer and the last to recover, but in this case it might be that there is still some pent-up demand,” said David Cooper, commercial development manager at the City of Edinburgh Council.

“With Fountainbridge, there’s still demand and interest and there’s a very good chance that by the time we are building and looking to market space that we will hopefully be beyond Covid-19.”

The masterplan proposes 435 homes including social rent, intermediate rent, build-to-rent and for-sale flats, alongside 107,640 sq ft of office and 32,290 sq ft of commercial ground floor space.

“The proposals that we have on the table are fairly resilient, there is a lot of housing, but also amenities and some office space,” he said, adding optimistically: “Property is still strong, and people are still building.”

·
Registered
178 Posts
In that case I’d ask what it is you’d propose instead? There’s a housing shortage and we have to build more homes. This is firmly background stuff in terms of design but I’d position it in the tradition of mass produced flatted blocks that Scotland has been building for centuries - and as has been the case for centuries some compromises over quantity (and often quality) of private space might be made, but it can equally create densely populated, liveable neighbourhoods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In that case I’d ask what it is you’d propose instead? There’s a housing shortage and we have to build more homes. This is firmly background stuff in terms of design but I’d position it in the tradition of mass produced flatted blocks that Scotland has been building for centuries - and as has been the case for centuries some compromises over quantity (and often quality) of private space might be made, but it can equally create densely populated, liveable neighbourhoods.
If the need to compromise space over demand is really as paramount as you suggest then for a start we could build upwards.

But I'm not convinced that is necessary. Whatever we build I would propose something that doesn't look cheap before it's even finished and doesn't look like every design decision has been driven by maximising return on investment. In the heart of the city we are building an environment at Fountainbridge that doesn't even have the imagination and build quality that better the housing schemes that Edinburgh threw up in the 1970s and can be found in places like Wester Hailes and Clovenstone.

The fact that you thought I might have mistaken the workies' portacabins for the actual finished buildings tells its own story about what being chucked up there.

661 - 680 of 685 Posts