SkyscraperCity banner

701 - 720 of 732 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yeah but it makes the point that the student build boom period may be over or slowing. Same has been observed over on the Glasgow forum.

·
Registered
715 Posts
In some university cities in the US, where PBSA has been around much longer, a downturn in demand is seeing buildings converted to accommodate a mix of families, singles and students.

·
Thinking pink.
1,082 Posts
This.
In some university cities in the US, where PBSA has been around much longer, a downturn in demand is seeing buildings converted to accommodate a mix of families, singles and students.
This is my problem with the nature of what’s being built.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Moda Springside from the Western Approach Road.

From the top of Drysdale Road

And from the canal.

Have we had any photos of the completed block of social housing the other side of the Western Approach Road?

The Moxy and neighbouring office building from the canal.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Moda Springside from the Western Approach Road.

From the top of Drysdale Road

And from the canal.

Have we had any photos of the completed block of social housing the other side of the Western Approach Road?
View attachment 763178
View attachment 763179
Excellent photos update as usual @Moschops I don't suppose you saw any movement with the student flats between Victor Paris and the former Scottish Courage office (now known as OneSixty)?

One thing to note with those flats on the West Approach Road is you'll get a prime view of the mid-morning rush hour traffic!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Excellent photos update as usual @Moschops I don't suppose you saw any movement with the student flats between Victor Paris and the former Scottish Courage office (now known as OneSixty)?
I’m afraid not. Photos pretty much always come out better when the sun is shining and the weather forecast for last Thursday had looked quite good so I had a vague plan to go out about lunchtime for a good leisurely wander with my camera. In the event it clouded over mid-morning and I almost wrote it off but then the sun came out again sometime after two which didn’t leave me as much time before sundown as I had hoped for.

I know a detour along to Dundee Street wouldn’t have added too much time to my wander but I really wanted to get along to the St James when the sun was still shining and time was ticking and there was plenty of low cloud still about so I turned left instead of right.

It actually started clouding over again when I was about halfway along George Street but the St James photos didn’t turn out too bad. Pretty much all of the Leith Walk tramworks photos needed to have the brightness boosted before posting and by the time I hit Contitution Street the light was properly going.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I’m afraid not. Photos pretty much always come out better when the sun is shining and the weather forecast for last Thursday had looked quite good so I had a vague plan to go out about lunchtime for a good leisurely wander with my camera. In the event it clouded over mid-morning and I almost wrote it off but then the sun came out again sometime after two which didn’t leave me as much time before sundown as I had hoped for.

I know a detour along to Dundee Street wouldn’t have added too much time to my wander but I really wanted to get along to the St James when the sun was still shining and time was ticking and there was plenty of low cloud still about so I turned left instead of right.

It actually started clouding over again when I was about halfway along George Street but the St James photos didn’t turn out too bad. Pretty much all of the Leith Walk tramworks photos needed to have the brightness boosted before posting and by the time I hit Contitution Street the light was properly going.
Oh, I was just wondering if you had seen any new developments rather than if you had taken photos.

I (along with all the regular visitors to the forum, I assume) totally appreciate the efforts you make with your photo updates. There certainly of good value for historical purposes. Who knows maybe in 100 years from now, folks will be posting your photos in the "Lost Edinburgh" thread of this forum or browsing them on Canmore or SCRAN sites. 😁

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh, I was just wondering if you had seen any new developments rather than if you had taken photos.

I (along with all the regular visitors to the forum, I assume) totally appreciate the efforts you make with your photo updates. There certainly of good value for historical purposes. Who knows maybe in 100 years from now, folks will be posting your photos in the "Lost Edinburgh" thread of this forum or browsing them on Canmore or SCRAN sites. 😁
I echo all of this and as someone who will be leaving Edinburgh soon (because life circs dictate so) photos will be so great in seeing the progress and changes being made to somewhere I hope to return to.

And to everyone else who posts updates and thoughts and views - thank you!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Thanks for those words! I’m just happy to add to the conversation and enjoy trying to document the changing face of the city. I appreciate that photographing building sites is a rather niche hobby but it seems to fit in with what we’re all trying to achieve by posting on a forum like SSC.

I think that over the years we’ve collectively turned the Edinburgh corner of SSC into quite a fascinating and interesting space. I share your thanks to everyone who contributes, but with an extra tip of the hat towards Kenspeckle for all the time and effort he puts into this place.

·
11,801 Posts
View attachment 805555

Excavation beginning on the other Fountainbridge site. Not sure if this might be something to do with the hotel/office buildings or if this is the new housing (has that been approved?).
The Edinburgh Economy Strategy report from yesterday's Policy & Sustainability Committee referenced enabling works being underway on the site to prepare it for development. They hope to appoint the development partner before the end of the year. Plans are approved (residential with ground floor retail/commercial for this part of the site), though I imagine they'll be tweaked once the development partner is onboard.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think they were putting in a new sewer across the site but this is largely complete. Really hoping work starts in earnest in 2021 once a development partner is in place. This part of the canal is going to be a really vibrant place once this and the Vastint site are complete. I can’t wait!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think they were putting in a new sewer across the site but this is largely complete. Really hoping work starts in earnest in 2021 once a development partner is in place. This part of the canal is going to be a really vibrant place once this and the Vastint site are complete. I can’t wait!
I'm looking forward to the (belated) completion of the redevelopment of the former brewery site. I wonder what the site might have looked like when HBOS bought the site and had a plan to considate all their offices in the area had the 2008 crash not happened?

Ironically, my favourite part of the development so far is the only surviving original building from the Fountainbridge brewery/North British Rubber factory - The Printworks.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yeah the railways and more importantly the former railway corridors create shit connectivity north/south. A better designed Northern Exchange area and some sort of epic scheme connecting the Haymarket site and Fountainbridge would have gone a long way.

701 - 720 of 732 Posts