SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
NFL

New England Patriots

4x Champions:
2001, 2003, 2004 and 2015

Gillette Stadium

Tiny football players at Gillette Stadium by sdowen, on Flickr

Gillette Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium located in Foxborough, Massachusetts, located 21 miles (34 kilometers) southwest of downtown Boston and 20 miles (32 km) from downtown Providence, Rhode Island that serves as the home stadium and administrative offices for the New England Patriots football team and the New England Revolution soccer team. The facility opened in 2002, replacing Foxboro Stadium. The seating capacity is 68,756, including 6,000 club seats and 87 luxury suites. The stadium is owned and operated by Kraft Sports Group, a subsidiary of The Kraft Group, the company through which businessman Robert Kraft owns the Patriots and Revolution. The stadium was originally known as CMGI Field before the naming rights were bought by Gillette after the "dot-com" bust.

Although Gillette has since been acquired by Procter & Gamble, the stadium retains the Gillette name because P&G has continued to use the Gillette brand name and because the Gillette company was founded in the Boston area. Gillette and the Patriots jointly announced in September 2010 that their partnership, which includes naming rights to the stadium, will extend through the 2031 season.

Gillette Stadium Foxboro Massachusetts by BlueisCoool, on Flickr

The Town of Foxborough approved plans for the stadium's construction on December 6, 1999, and work on the stadium began on March 24, 2000.

The first official event was a New England Revolution game on May 11, 2002. The Rolling Stones also played at Gillette Stadium on September 5, 2002 on the band's Licks Tour. Grand opening ceremonies were held four days later on September 9 when the Patriots unveiled their Super Bowl XXXVI championship banner before a Monday Night Football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Gillette Stadium is accessible by rail via the Providence/Stoughton and Franklin lines at the Foxboro MBTA station, but only when an event (non-soccer) takes place at the stadium. The Patriots have a 70-13 record in Gillette Stadium.

Gillette Stadium, Boston by SkylineScenes (Bill Cobb), on Flickr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Stadium

Patriots Pano Dusk by BigRichie, on Flickr]BlueisCoool[/url], on Flickr

·
28,090 Posts

I hope we won't see fights here (pats fans vs etc.)

Reactions: espinoza_lm

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Can't be only 68,756 its massive.

·
500-Internal Server Error
1,523 Posts
The stadium is in the middle of nowhere! I think its like a 30 - 60 minutes drive from downtown Boston. Plus, the nearby town and hotels look creepy.

·
PQS
3,587 Posts
It does look massive, I dont know why they dont extend it slightly and complete some of the stands that are broken up. Surely the Pats could sell out at least 75k each game

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
They already charge over $90 a seat on average, which is $20 per over the NFL average, and I'm pretty sure if they wanted to selling 5 or 8 thousand more seats wouldn't be an issue for now. But there may be concern over the long term, if the team falls off the face of the earth like the 49ers did a few years ago would fans still pay those prices to see a team lose? That doesn't look likely for the next few years, but you never know when that sort of thing is going to happen.

·
A Beast A Problem
85 Posts
The stadium is in the middle of nowhere! I think its like a 30 - 60 minutes drive from downtown Boston. Plus, the nearby town and hotels look creepy.
Its about a 40 minute drive from Boston but they are building a massive entertainment complex around Gillette its called Patriots Place.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
While Gillette is a HUGE improvement over old Foxboro/Schafer Stadium, it's not in the top 3 for best NFL stadium. The stadium should have been around 74,000 seasts and have more club seats. It is so open that it doesn't get too loud and that is a problem. Also, the video boards leave a lot to be desired. It is a very nice stadium and I would put it in the top 10 of the league, but it still has its flaws.

·
A Beast A Problem
85 Posts
hartford stadium for the pats back in 99. just food for thought

this looking to 1940-1950 art deco
Ahhh why you have to bring that up im still trying to forget about the possble move :cheers:, i live like 10 min away from Hartford and that would have been the coolest thing to have a NFL right in Hartford

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok

Ahhh why you have to bring that up im still trying to forget about the possble move :cheers:, i live like 10 min away from Hartford and that would have been the coolest thing to have a NFL right in Hartford:nuts:
no:eek:hno:. boston would have been better sorry

·
Registered
340 Posts
Entertainment Complex?? :lol: Its Bed, Bath & Beyond, Circuit City, and a Bass Pro Shop. Its a suburban strip mall, and a bad one at that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Showcase Cinema, Showcase Live, CBS store, the Hall (Hall of Fame building), a total of 23 new things to do at Foxboro. Great project, stop hating.

·
Banned
467 Posts
Why should it be closer to Boston? It's the home of the NEW ENGLAND Patriots, in case you haven't noticed.

What about the Washington Redskins? Their stadium is not precisely in Washington, is it?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts