SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1344 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foxconn could break ground on first Wisconsin facility this fall

Foxconn Technology Group is planning to break ground on its first southeastern Wisconsin facility as early as this fall and eventually plans to locate assembly and manufacturing operations in multiple locations across the region, according to some area political and business leaders.

https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/economic-development/foxconn-could-break-ground-on-first-wisconsin-facility-this-fall/

Foxconn will have six years to create 13,000 jobs, under deal with state

Foxconn Technology Group will have six years to create 13,000 jobs with an average salary of $53,875, according to the terms of a memorandum of understanding that Gov. Scott Walker and Foxconn chairman Terry Gou signed Thursday in Milwaukee.

https://www.biztimes.com/2017/ideas/economic-development/foxconn-will-have-six-years-to-create-13000-jobs-under-deal-with-state/

I thought it might be a good idea to create this fourm to potentially channel some of the Foxconn specific discussion off the main forum in case there are other topics people want to discuss.

Also even though I named the forum Foxconn campus as the first article I cited from the Business Times indicates this development might not truly be a campus as there might be sites located all over the metro area.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are there really multiple sites for the main campus under serious consideration?

It would seem the top one is east of 94 between Highway 11 and Highway 20, though I've now seen some drawings suggesting it is on both sides of 11 with the bulk of it to the south. However we also hear things like "no site has yet been selected" and "Racine or Kenosha Counties".

In theory pretty much anyplace is *possible* given enough money and possible eminent domain. But realistically they're probably wanting someplace which is mostly a green site in good proximity to the freeway and possibly rail.

Is there anything else which is big enough with a reasonably-limited need to demolish stuff? Or is this pretty much the go-to site and the "we've made do decisions" is just window dressing to not foil negotiations in process?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there really multiple sites for the main campus under serious consideration?

It would seem the top one is east of 94 between Highway 11 and Highway 20, though I've now seen some drawings suggesting it is on both sides of 11 with the bulk of it to the south. However we also hear things like "no site has yet been selected" and "Racine or Kenosha Counties".

In theory pretty much anyplace is *possible* given enough money and possible eminent domain. But realistically they're probably wanting someplace which is mostly a green site in good proximity to the freeway and possibly rail.

Is there anything else which is big enough with a reasonably-limited need to demolish stuff? Or is this pretty much the go-to site and the "we've made do decisions" is just window dressing to not foil negotiations in process?

I am not sure where else this sort of development would be located but as was already posted on the main forum the following quote is from an article in the Journal Sentinel:

In any event, the Mount Pleasant-Sturtevant area is not alone. Officials appear to have several sites lined up in southeastern Wisconsin, and not just in Racine and Kenosha Counties — the focus of media speculation.

"There are multiple locations in southeastern Wisconsin that have been vetted by this company and are being actively considered," Jim Paetsch, vice president of the Milwaukee 7 regional economic development group, said Thursday. "The company is going to make a decision based on their financial and operating interests."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2017/07/27/foxconn-offering-50-000-acre-mount-pleasant-factory-site/516421001/
The article immediately goes on to state that the site must have access to Lake Michigan water. That in my opinion would lead me to believe there could be a site or sites in play in Washington County as well? There just isn't enough available land in either Milwaukee County or eastern Waukesha County that I can think of to satisfy a request for land this big.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The article immediately goes on to state that the site must have access to Lake Michigan water. That in my opinion would lead me to believe there could be a site or sites in play in Washington County as well? There just isn't enough available land in either Milwaukee County or eastern Waukesha County that I can think of to satisfy a request for land this big.

Interesting – the Lake Michigan water requirementdefinitely limits what they can do assuming they don’t bank on getting a waterwaiver. I agree on the eastern Waukesha County idea. I'd put Ozaukee, at least south of Hwy 33 in a similar category. Too costly and too NIMBY.

I wonder if they would serious consider Washington County– depending on where they would build. It’s roughly a good hour farther from O’Harethan Sturtevant. And would we reallyconsider piping lake water over to (for example) the Jackson-West Bend-Slingerarea? Seems prohibitively expensive.

I’m trying to stitch together in my head if there areenough brownfield areas in Milwaukee County to make this work. There’s a heck of a lot of land on west BrownDeer Road looking for a better use.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Interesting – the Lake Michigan water requirementdefinitely limits what they can do assuming they don’t bank on getting a waterwaiver. I agree on the eastern Waukesha County idea. I'd put Ozaukee, at least south of Hwy 33 in a similar category. Too costly and too NIMBY.

I wonder if they would serious consider Washington County– depending on where they would build. It’s roughly a good hour farther from O’Harethan Sturtevant. And would we reallyconsider piping lake water over to (for example) the Jackson-West Bend-Slingerarea? Seems prohibitively expensive.

I’m trying to stitch together in my head if there areenough brownfield areas in Milwaukee County to make this work. There’s a heck of a lot of land on west BrownDeer Road looking for a better use.

Excuse me, I got my counties mixed up. I actually meant Ozaukee County. There seems to be a lot of development ready farm land around the Port Washington area and further north and it is really not that far from Milwaukee either.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The requirement for Lake Michigan water is very interesting because of the Great Lakes Compact. The Compact requires that communities be entirely inside the Great Lakes Basin in order to use Great Lakes Water with two exceptions:
  • Communities that straddle the basin can request a waiver to use Great Lakes water so long as they can return all of it to the Great Lakes and do not mix it with any other water source. This waiver process is relatively easy and can be approved at the state level. An example is New Berlin, which requested and received a waiver without much fanfare.

• Communities entirely outside the basin but in counties that straddle the basin can request a waiver provided they also return all the water to the Great Lakes and do not mix it with another source. This process is very difficult and requires the approval of the governors of all Great Lakes states. The only community that has successfully completed this waiver is Waukesha.
In SE Wisconsin the Lake Michigan drainage basin is very narrow, as shown on this wikipedia map:

·
Crankbaiter
871 Posts
The requirement for Lake Michigan water is very interesting because of the Great Lakes Compact. The Compact requires that communities be entirely inside the Great Lakes Basin in order to use Great Lakes Water with two exceptions:
  • Communities that straddle the basin can request a waiver to use Great Lakes water so long as they can return all of it to the Great Lakes and do not mix it with any other water source. This waiver process is relatively easy and can be approved at the state level. An example is New Berlin, which requested and received a waiver without much fanfare.

• Communities entirely outside the basin but in counties that straddle the basin can request a waiver provided they also return all the water to the Great Lakes and do not mix it with another source. This process is very difficult and requires the approval of the governors of all Great Lakes states. The only community that has successfully completed this waiver is Waukesha.
In SE Wisconsin the Lake Michigan drainage basin is very narrow, as shown on this wikipedia map:
I never knew that the GL were connected to Hudson Bay.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Yeah, this is crazy! It's bigger than Bong Air Force Base would have been.

Foxconn bill authorizes I-94 borrowing, limits permitting requirements

The legislation intended to authorize an incentive package for Foxconn Technology Group’s $10 billion investment in Wisconsin also authorizes borrowing for the Interstate 94 North-South project,

Oh, also, Amtrak is way too expensive to serve as commuter rail. I think they will almost certainly have to resuscitate the KRM, but on the western route that Amtrak uses. Or both, WTH! With all the companies that they are talking about like Corning that will be built around the main plant. Milwaukee is going to totally need full blown commuter rail.

Hell, I may need to get a job with them myself. I have an AAS in Robotics. So far useless, but they're going to need everyone they can get.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Oh, also, Amtrak is way too expensive to serve as commuter rail. I think they will almost certainly have to resuscitate the KRM, but on the western route that Amtrak uses. Or both, WTH! With all the companies that they are talking about like Corning that will be built around the main plant. Milwaukee is going to totally need full blown commuter rail.
Amtrak actually has passes from union station to sturtevant from $414 a month. I think from the intermodal station it's like $380. That's not bad at all really. I was going to do this to Chicago because sturtevant is dirt cheap and it's a little less then an hour from union station. That plan might be messed up now with housing costs. Excited about foxconn, but a little bitter because I needed a few more years at my current job to get my master plan going.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Amtrak actually has passes from union station to sturtevant from $414 a month. I think from the intermodal station it's like $380. That's not bad at all really. I was going to do this to Chicago because sturtevant is dirt cheap and it's a little less then an hour from union station. That plan might be messed up now with housing costs. Excited about foxconn, but a little bitter because I needed a few more years at my current job to get my master plan going.
That's a lot of money in my checkbook. Four ten-rides from Metra is about $200 or so. Four tanks of gas are even less. If I was making $100 grand a year, yeah, that's doable. But we low scale industrial types aren't in that bracket.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It will be interesting to see how property values are affected in the vicinity. I live on the southeast side of Franklin about 5 minutes from the new Ikea and 10 minutes from the proposed Foxconn site. I've planned to move back into Milwaukee or tosa or something eventually. I'm curious to see if the value of my home is dramatically affected over the next decade or so.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I believe the $400 is round trip for the entire month.

Well, I guess from my stand point it would be going into Chicago, and living in a cheap area so it's more then worth it. I could maybe make an extra 15,000, maybe more in the loop, and the difference from driving and the Amtrak would be about $2,500 max if you're just looking at gas.

Metra in Kenosha is like over an hour and a half to that station with an o I don't care to look up and that sounds awful. I can't stand the metra stopping every 5 minutes.

I could see however that a few thousand a year might be a lot for someone who is only making 30k-40k and is commuting from an expensive cost of living state.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Actually it's somewhat cheaper.

Milwaukee Downtown MKE - Sturtevant
$11 each way ($12 on peak trains)
$85 for a ten pack
$184 for monthly unlimited

Milwaukee Airport MKA - Sturtevant
$10 each way ($10 on peak trains)
$77 for a ten pack
$167 for a monthly unlimited

So if you buy a monthly pass for 12 months
MKE 2208 = 184 * 12
MKA 2004 = 167 * 12

This is the cost per week
MKE $42.46 = 2208 / 52
MKA $35.54 = 2004 / 52

And then if you use it for ten rides per week this is the per-cost ride
MKE $4.25
MKA $3.55

The costs definitely add up, and you still need to get to the train station. But it could be an option for some people. If you don't have a car you can take the bus to the train. Or maybe if your house has one car you can get dropped off at the train station. I doubt it would ever be more than a small minority of workers who would use the train but it could be an option if the campus is near Sturtevant. It does make you wonder if there's a chance part of the infrastructure improvements could be a Hiawatha increase. Walker is big on trying to make this a transformational thing for SE Wisconsin and his "Wisconn Valley" idea. Attracting the sort of further investment means impressing people from parts of the world where passenger rail is considered an important piece of the puzzle. It doesn't need to go 300 miles per hour and it doesn't need to go every 20 minutes. But even another trainset to support 10 or 11 trips per day would make it a more useful link.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

There's been talk of a shipping facility located at the former 440th base near Mitchell International Airport that Milwaukee County owns, and I wouldn't be surprised if they built a corporate office tower in Downtown MKE, which is another rumor swirling around. We were curious awhile back over a BidClerk for a 1.2 million sq ft tower downtown and just assumed it was for JCI. What if it's for Foxconn's operations in the Americas?

The way I see it, if Foxconn is being intrigued over a part or full naming rights to the Bucks arena (another strong rumor), they're going to have some kinda situation in either downtown or MKE County. And frankly, based on how Alex Lasry's yuuuge puff piece on Facebook in favor of Foxconn's announced Wisconsin operations, despite many Democrats being either on the fence or against the massive taxpayer subsidies (even Mayor Barrett has been walking the fine line), it's safe to say Lasry is angling for positive vibes because of the wooing for naming rights to the arena.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Actually it's somewhat cheaper.

Milwaukee Downtown MKE - Sturtevant
$11 each way ($12 on peak trains)
$85 for a ten pack
$184 for monthly unlimited

Milwaukee Airport MKA - Sturtevant
$10 each way ($10 on peak trains)
$77 for a ten pack
$167 for a monthly unlimited

So if you buy a monthly pass for 12 months
MKE 2208 = 184 * 12
MKA 2004 = 167 * 12

This is the cost per week
MKE $42.46 = 2208 / 52
MKA $35.54 = 2004 / 52

And then if you use it for ten rides per week this is the per-cost ride
MKE $4.25
MKA $3.55

The costs definitely add up, and you still need to get to the train station. But it could be an option for some people. If you don't have a car you can take the bus to the train. Or maybe if your house has one car you can get dropped off at the train station. I doubt it would ever be more than a small minority of workers who would use the train but it could be an option if the campus is near Sturtevant. It does make you wonder if there's a chance part of the infrastructure improvements could be a Hiawatha increase. Walker is big on trying to make this a transformational thing for SE Wisconsin and his "Wisconn Valley" idea. Attracting the sort of further investment means impressing people from parts of the world where passenger rail is considered an important piece of the puzzle. It doesn't need to go 300 miles per hour and it doesn't need to go every 20 minutes. But even another trainset to support 10 or 11 trips per day would make it a more useful link.
Bottom line is the Hiawatha line is fine - but the number of workers from MKE to Sturtevant and back would require more regular intervals between the cities, something that Amtrak cannot accomplish due to going to the Chicago Loop and back. If we're talking rail, we need the KRM back in operation - link it up with the Metra (something Illinois will likely support since they're going to angle Illinois workers coming up to Foxconn's facilities) and make this a multi-state operation. Only issue I'm seeing is doubts of WI lawmakers wanting to tie in a mass transit mode with Illinois due to Illinois' tremendous budget problems.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Some insight on the incentives for the Foxconn Bill...

Key notes:

- The state would pay over $250 million in I-94 South freeway improvements.

- Foxconn would be able to discharge materials into wetlands without a permit.

Umm... so much for all that clean water tech stuff.

I worked for WeEnergies at Oak Creek Power Plant for years and by the time our filters and condensers removed all of the zebra mussels from the water, we were discharging higher quality water than we were intaking from Lake Michigan and we STILL had the DNR and others on our case constantly. Same thing with big blue Valley Power Plant next to Poto... their intake is on the river and the water coming into a power plant HAS to be filtered and treated, otherwise it will destroy condenser tubes among other things... so that plant downtown sucks in the naaasty river water and all of its garbage, filters and sends it back out cleaner... and the garbage gets removed from the water and disposed of properly (I don't even want to describe the smell of what gets pulled up from those waters)... and yet the plants are constantly hounded by DNR and other environmental groups.

But Foxconn gets a free ride?

Yikes.

http://fox6now.com/2017/07/30/assembly-speaker-wants-public-hearing-on-foxconn-incentives-bill-this-week-its-worth-taking-that-step/

·
Registered
351 Posts
Some insight on the incentives for the Foxconn Bill...

Key notes:

- The state would pay over $250 million in I-94 South freeway improvements.

I worked for WeEnergies at Oak Creek Power Plant for years and by the time our filters and condensers removed all of the zebra mussels from the water, we were discharging higher quality water than we were intaking from Lake Michigan and we STILL had the DNR and others on our case constantly. Same thing with big blue Valley Power Plant next to Poto... their intake is on the river and the water coming into a power plant HAS to be filtered and treated, otherwise it will destroy condenser tubes among other things... so that plant downtown sucks in the naaasty river water and all of its garbage, filters and sends it back out cleaner... and the garbage gets removed from the water and disposed of properly (I don't even want to describe the smell of what gets pulled up from those waters)... and yet the plants are constantly hounded by DNR and other environmental groups.

But Foxconn gets a free ride?

Yikes.

http://fox6now.com/2017/07/30/assembly-speaker-wants-public-hearing-on-foxconn-incentives-bill-this-week-its-worth-taking-that-step/
Yeah. No. If that's the case I dont want Foxconn. At what point do we take our environment seriously. They can say they'll clean the water, but the fact that they asked for this to be a stipulation is worrisome to say the least.

·
Registered
286 Posts

:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

What kind of "environmentally friendly" company would ask to be able to discharge materials into wetlands without a permit...

I have a feeling this will definitely get overlooked when it's time for the decision to be made.

·
Sliceline CEO of Fun
385 Posts
:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

What kind of "environmentally friendly" company would ask to be able to discharge materials into wetlands without a permit...

I have a feeling this will definitely get overlooked when it's time for the decision to be made.
I read they asked for this waiver because the state takes too long to issue the permit (Sometimes 2 years) - not because they plan to dump waste into wetlands... It sounded like they wanted to get building quicker.

1 - 20 of 1344 Posts