SkyscraperCity banner

Which country do you think should host the 2023 Rugby World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

14 May – 15 June, 2015 Unions submit an expression of interest
3 July 2015 World Rugby confirms bidders
May 2016 World Rugby releases tender documentation
June 2016 Deadline for unions to confirm their intent to tender a bid
May 2017 Host for the 2023 Rugby World Cup is announced

The bidding battle to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup is set to be between four countries – Ireland, France, Italy and South Africa.

The Rugby World Cup tournament director, Alan Gilpin, said: “The candidate hosts now have a year to benefit from detailed knowledge-sharing and preparation, including digesting the detailed tender requirements and observing Rugby World Cup 2015 hosting, before the confirmation to tender deadline of June 2016.”

The World Rugby chairman, Bernard Lapasset, added: “Rugby World Cup is our flagship event, and must continue to inspire, to reach out and attract new participants and audiences while delivering the financial platform for rugby to continue its record growth. “Hosting should be a true partnership and incentivise and excite host countries, and we are currently undertaking an extensive review of the hosting model to strengthen the partnership between host and owner and further the benefits for all as we enter an exciting new era for our sport.”

Reactions: alexandru.mircea

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,107 Posts
France: no because already hosted in 2007.
I think South-Africa will get it but I would have backed a joint bid USA-Canada.

·
Live and let live
237 Posts
But in all seriousness, if this World Cup goes to Europe then it should go to Italy. France has hosted only recently (bit greedy of them to want to host again so quickly). Ireland will be like the UK hosting again, Rugby in Europe is already too concentrated around the British Isles. Italy should be rewarded with spreading the game.

·
Registered
347 Posts
But in all seriousness, if this World Cup goes to Europe then it should go to Italy. France has hosted only recently (bit greedy of them to want to host again so quickly). Ireland will be like the UK hosting again, Rugby in Europe is already too concentrated around the British Isles. Italy should be rewarded with spreading the game.
While I do agree, Italy may struggle on the grounds front as several of its big football grounds are now looking a bit tatty, or have running tracks around them etc, but some new grounds such as Roma and AC Milan may be built by then.

Whatever happens there needs to be a ban on the Millenium Stadium hosting games! They end up muscling in on everyone's tournament.

·
Tax avoider
23,958 Posts
While I do agree, Italy may struggle on the grounds front as several of its big football grounds are now looking a bit tatty, or have running tracks around them etc, but some new grounds such as Roma and AC Milan may be built by then.
The proposed Irish venues would need even more work - they're mostly dilapidated GAA grounds with mostly open terracing!

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,107 Posts
I agree: Rugby needs more hosts to become a world wide sport. Don't forget that during WC2011, 97% of viewers where located in 6 countries only (NZ, Australia, South-Africa, Irteland, UK, France). Italy and Argentina are in Tiers1 and should host next RWC. USA would be a great choice too. Ireland or Scotland can't host alone and Pacific Islanders are too small: so, it's time for Italy, USA or Argentina.

You van bet that France Will withdraw because:
- Paris wants Both olympic 2024 and Expo 2025.
- FFR Linked it's bid with the building of it's own national rugby stadium. Now, it's postponed without any expecting delay

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz OC 500 LE
6,342 Posts
The Argentine stadiums would need a bit of work to host a World Cup.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
The grounds that are needed must not only be fairly modern. They must predominantly Rugby only grounds too. Football and Rugby don't mix to well. Ground-sharing in the midst the football season is problematic. And this is where English speaking tier 1 nations with their Rugby-dedicated facilities are clearly in the lead.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz OC 500 LE
6,342 Posts
Even in England, home of the sport, not all of the venues are rugby-friendly.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's time for the American continent to host the World Cup and I think either Argentina, Canada or USA should get the bid come 2023.

There's the option of having the US and Canada co-host the event and in the case of Argentina, Uruguay could be awarded a venue as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Whatever happens there needs to be a ban on the Millenium Stadium hosting games! They end up muscling in on everyone's tournament.
As pointed out by Firefly, the RWC takes place when European football leagues are in full swing along with the UEFA competitons.

As such, it would be impossible to host a RWC using just (or mainly) club football grounds. The building of new grounds by the likes of Roma and AC Milan (and hopefully Lazio) would actually help an italian RWC bid, as it would free up the old Muncipal grounds.

They may be a bit tired but they'd be adequate enough to host a few RWC games. They could copy the 2015 model by having a huge number of Games in the Olympico and Flaminio as the 2015 schedule has used Twickenham and the OS.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
As pointed out by Firefly, the RWC takes place when European football leagues are in full swing along with the UEFA competitons.

As such, it would be impossible to host a RWC using just (or mainly) club football grounds. The building of new grounds by the likes of Roma and AC Milan (and hopefully Lazio) would actually help an italian RWC bid, as it would free up the old Muncipal grounds.

They may be a bit tired but they'd be adequate enough to host a few RWC games. They could copy the 2015 model by having a huge number of Games in the Olympico and Flaminio as the 2015 schedule has used Twickenham and the OS.
Nonsense. The 2007 world cup in France used nine Ligue 1 football stadiums. The current world cup is using 7 football stadiums not counting Wembley or the Olympic stadium. They even chose the Walkers stadium over Welford Road.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Nonsense. The 2007 world cup in France used nine Ligue 1 football stadiums. The current world cup is using 7 football stadiums not counting Wembley or the Olympic stadium. They even chose the Walkers stadium over Welford Road.
England uses football ground only once or twice over a single weekend only. That's also he reason why they have to play in so many football grounds.
Italy on the other hand has not only the disadvantage that all bigger stadiums have football tenants. The biggest grounds have even two football clubs playing there in alternating weeks. To be honest I can't see a Rugby World Cup being played in Italy, not in early autumn as it is intended.

·
0 Posts
34 of 48 games in France were played in stadiums which host soccer teams (all Ligue 1).

England? 16 out of 48. Just Premier League? 9 out of 48.

Its clear that both approaches can work. But its also clear that stadium ownership matters. In france, those were all council owned stadiums. In england BPL teams own their grounds.

The big problem with Italy is quality of stadiums, not their availability. With english soccer stadiums you have to convince the owners to lease the stadium. With city owned stadiums, thats less of a problem. And Im sure that serie a clubs would agree to accommodate the event.

Remember too that there are internationals breaks at this time of the year in soccer (2 during the rwc i think), and that by 2023 serie a is likely to have 18 teams, freeing up more more weekends in the year.

As it stands, italy is a country of mostly city owned stadiums. Whether things change drastically by 2023 I dont know. But at this stage it could work.

Also with italy you could do a combined bid with spain, even france. I think a three way split could work. Norhern italy, eastern spain and southern france. You combine a selection of stadiums from all three and it could be great.

Eg. San mames in bilbao, camp nou or espanyol stadium in barcelona, new lyon, new bordeaux, marseille, san siro, juve stadium, udinese, genoa, plus new stadium for roma. Thats 10 venues. Think thatd be cool.

·
Tax avoider
23,958 Posts
Also with italy you could do a combined bid with spain, even france. I think a three way split could work. Norhern italy, eastern spain and southern france. You combine a selection of stadiums from all three and it could be great.
Definitely not. The worst part about France 2007, which was otherwise brilliant, was having games in Edinburgh and Cardiff. An Italian World Cup could get away with using Marseilles, like England is using Cardiff, and a potential future French World Cup might include Barcelona, but an Italy-Spain split would be a bad idea, especially for travelling fans.

·
Ars longa, vita brevis
9,246 Posts
Definitely not. The worst part about France 2007, which was otherwise brilliant, was having games in Edinburgh and Cardiff. An Italian World Cup could get away with using Marseilles, like England is using Cardiff, and a potential future French World Cup might include Barcelona, but an Italy-Spain split would be a bad idea, especially for travelling fans.
Nice would be even better than Marseille, it's just at the Italian border. Speaking of that, a Riviera event would be quite nifty: Marseille-Toulon-Nice-Genoa-Turin-Milan. Neither would happen, of course.

Also RE Northern Spain, the French high speed train now reaches Barcelona, but I'm not sure what stations it has on the road. If it's Marseille or Montpellier, then it would be quite useful for the scheme that 5portsF4n envisaged.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts