SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1667 Posts

·
Fan van de Neudeflat
2,499 Posts
Paris: incredible plan for TGV tunnel through city center

SNCF (French railways) recently revealed they have an incredible plan for a TGV tunnel through the city center! :cool:

The tunnel would connect Gare du Nord with Gare de Lyon. For those who are not familiar with the Parisian situation: Paris has several large terminal stations. TGV's from the north currently end in Gare du Nord, while TGV's from the south-east currently end in Gare de Lyon.

Both stations will lack capacity in the future. A tunnel would solve this problem, while also reducing the need of capacity on the heavily loaded regional underground trains (RER). This is possible because the tunnel would also have a station at Republique, right in downtown Paris! This will make TGV travel even more advantuous in comparison with air or car travel, because it will bring you right to the heart of town!

Another advantage is that through passengers between the north and south of France won't have to take the metro to tranfer between two TGV trains (although there are now already several direct trains via the TGV bypass around Paris).

Read more about this incredible plan in the newspaper Le Figaro (in French).

·
Gotta lite?
6,009 Posts
Does sound like an amazing proposal. I hope it get's built. What would be the timescale?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sounds rather straightforward to me than incredible. That a station is proposed at Republique (which is actually not right in the heart of Paris but east of it), seems to imply that they cannot use the RER tunnels for the TGV because the RER does not go through Republique.

·
Banned
3,272 Posts
Vertigo said:
SNCF (French railways) recently revealed they have an incredible plan for a TGV tunnel through the city center! :cool:

The tunnel would connect Gare du Nord with Gare de Lyon. For those who are not familiar with the Parisian situation: Paris has several large terminal stations. TGV's from the north currently end in Gare du Nord, while TGV's from the south-east currently end in Gare de Lyon.

Both stations will lack capacity in the future. A tunnel would solve this problem, while also reducing the need of capacity on the heavily loaded regional underground trains (RER). This is possible because the tunnel would also have a station at Republique, right in downtown Paris! This will make TGV travel even more advantuous in comparison with air or car travel, because it will bring you right to the heart of town!

Another advantage is that through passengers between the north and south of France won't have to take the metro to tranfer between two TGV trains (although there are now already several direct trains via the TGV bypass around Paris).

This plan is a waste of money. If there's money to spend in Paris it would be to stop the apartheid between the center and the rest of the city. There's no need to wonder why there are riots in France when we see the walls separating one district from the other.

·
Grygry
3,042 Posts
Vertigo said:

Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord are better located than Republique, because they are linked to the RER und suburban railway networks that really go through the whol city. There is only Metro in Republique, so this in uninteresting location for me as well as a majority of parisians.
The transfert between the two stations takes two stops on the RER D (20mins) so I don't think it would make such a change.

And for those who don't want to stop at Paris, there already exists a number of trains that run from one line to the other via Roissy CDG and Marne La Vallée, in the far suburbs. Eurostar even goes in the alps during winter vacations!

I think it would make more sense to do that sort of developpements in Marseilles that needs a real train station that is not in a dead end for the mediteranean TGV or Lyon that needs better east-west links, and a less hidous railway station than the one in Perrache.
This sounds like a waiste of money for Paris too.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,371 Posts
In Barcelona, a tunnel for high speed trains is being constructed through the city centre, too.
:yes:
Works will end in 2009.
:eek:

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
^^ Any source for that?
As for the plan for the tunnel through Paris: it would be a complete idiocy if it were to be built. Some people here have already brought up some good arguments:

-use the money for better purposes like ameliorating the situation in the Parisian burbs;
-there already is a bypass for through trains from north to south;
-there won't be much time saving for through passengers if this tunnel were built.

So don't build it.

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
Its about I am bigger and better than you.
"Do you have a 160mph trains traveling under your city?"
"No."
"I do hahahaha put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

·
Vivre haut
6,642 Posts
andysimo123 said:
Its about I am bigger and better than you.
"Do you have a 160mph trains traveling under your city?"
"No."
"I do hahahaha put that in your pipe and smoke it!"
You, british, are really incredible... :sleepy:

PS : who is George Best ?

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
I love this train, very nice :eek:kay:

·
119,594 Posts
French high-speed train to break world record

PARIS, Dec 18, 2006 (AFP) - France's high-speed TGV train -- already the fastest in the world -- is to try to break its own record by hitting speeds above 540 kilometres (325 miles) per hour, its constructors said Monday.

One of the prides of French engineering, the superfast train a grande vitesse (TGV) set the current world rail record of 515.3 kilometres per hour, in test conditions, in 1990.

The new speed trial will be carried out in early April on the brand new TGV line connecting Paris to the eastern city of Strasbourg, which is set to open in June 2007.

According to the French engineering giant Alstom, which builds the TGV, the train is hoped to hit speeds of 550-570 kilometres per hour.

Currently, average travelling speeds for the TGV are around 300 kilometres per hour, but trains on the latest-generation Paris-Strasbourg line are to run slightly faster at 320 kilometres per hour.

·
Tax avoider
24,107 Posts
Great story, but hardly relevant for Subways and Urban Transport... A thread has been started in Infrastructure and Mobility. :)

·
in omnia paratus
3,924 Posts
I smell that they want to compete with japanese Maglev and hit 600 km/h, just to show that new technology is obsolete since the old one is capable of reaching same speeds :)

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,371 Posts
It is just an experiment, not commercial speed...
:|

1 - 20 of 1667 Posts