SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 14002 Posts

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to ownership problems with the other France thread, I'm opening this thread for people who want to post pictures about France. This thread is OPEN TO ALL, on a first come first serve base. If someone has already posted a pic please wait 24 hours before posting your pic.

I'll start with this über-beautiful picture of one of my favorite places in France, the Cirque de Gavarnie in the Pyrenees. The 442 meters (1,450 ft) Gavarnie waterfall is visible in the background. Spain starts just behind the towering wall of the mountain.

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The 16th century Château of Chenonceau in the Loire Valley is the quintessential French Renaissance château.

Chenonceau is one the châteaux that inspired Charles Perrault, the author of Sleeping Beauty (La Belle au bois dormant), Cinderella (Cendrillon), Little Red Riding Hood (Le Petit Chaperon rouge), and several other fairy tales made world-famous by Walt Disney.

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pink trumpet tree (aka tabebuia, aka lapacho) in the Kaw mountain in French Guiana. The Kaw mountain is one of the most beautiful and breathtaking mountains in France, but unfortunately I don't have a larger pic to show you the whole mountain emerging out of the clouds and the jungle.

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Today, another breathtaking landmark: the walled city of Carcassonne in the heart of Languedoc, southern France.

The armies of the king of France conquered Languedoc in the 13th century, taking advantage of the Cathar heresy by waging a crusade in Languedoc to defeat the Cathars (the Albigensian Crusade). Despite its strong walls, Carcassonne was captured in 1209 by Simon de Montfort, the captain-general of the French forces; its last viscount was imprisoned in the city's dungeon where he died a few months later; and the city has been French ever since.

Only half of the walled city is visible on this pic.

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
France is a land of extreme contrasts. That's probably why it is the number one tourist destination in the world. Here you have a picture of the unspoilt wilderness of the Cévennes, with fog lingering in the valleys while the summits are enjoying sunshine. The Cévennes is one of the wildest areas of France, ages away from cities and the stress of modern life. The Cévennes area was the last hideout of the persecuted Protestants after Louis XIV banned Protestantism in France.

Tomorrow I will post a picture contrasting with the wild Cévennes.

·
piéton
2,528 Posts
^^I think it's located on the border of Bretagne and Normandie.
it's in Normandie, as you can see on the next pic (taken from north), on the left of the river "couesnon" it's Normandie, Bretagne stops 3~4 km from the coastline and reaches the sea 2~3kms on the right of the Mont-st-Michel

(the bridge on that pic is a project)

1 - 20 of 14002 Posts