Skyscraper City Forum banner

Which country should host the EURO 2016?

• France

Votes: 109 19.3%
  • Italy

Votes: 167 29.6%
  • Turkey

Votes: 288 51.1%
61 - 80 of 3325 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nordic EURO 2016 bid

FRANCE candidate cities, twelve will be chosen.

1-Paris (St-Denis)
Stade de France
81,338 seats

2-Marseille
Stade Vélodrome

60,031 seats (refurbishment with a roof and extension)
70,000 to 76,000 seats (20??)

3-Lyon
OL Land
61,556 seats
(2014)

4-Lens
Stade Félix Bollaert

41,223 seats (refurbishment and extension)
50,200 seats (2012/13)

5-Lille
"Grand Stade"
50,186 seats
(2012)
Retractable roof
Mobile half pitch (there is an indoor arena under the pitch)

6-Saint-Etienne
Stade Geoffroy Guichard

35,616 seats (refurbishment and extension or new stadium)
50,000 seats (20??)

7-Paris
Parc des Princes
48,712 seats
(refurbishment)

8-Nantes
Stade de la Beaujoire-Louis Fonteneau

38,285 seats (refurbishment and extension)
45,000 seats (20??)

9-Strasbourg
Eurostadium
42,710 seats
(2014)

10-Nice
"Grand Stade"
41,000 seats
(2014/15)
Retractable roof

(no pics yet)

11-Toulouse
Stadium Municipal
36,508 seats
(refurbishment and maybe extension)

12-Rennes
Stade de la Route de Lorient

30,778 seats (Extension)
35,000 seats (20??)

13-Bordeaux
Stade Chaban-Delmas
34,462 seats
(refurbishment)

14-Nancy
Stade Marcel Picot

20,087 seats (Extension)
33,000 seats (2013)

15-Montpellier
Stade de la Mosson
32,939 seats
(refurbishment)

16-Paris (Nanterre)
"Stade des Bouvets"
32,000 seats
(Rugby stadium-2013)
Retractable roof

(No pics yet)

TURKEY
1a. Istanbul
Atatürk Olimpiyat Stadi (built)
76,092 (they could at a 2nd tier at the goal stands. 85,000-90,000)

1b. Istanbul
Sükrü Saracolu Stadi (built)
53,586 (will be expanded this year to +55k)

1c. Istanbul
Türk Telekom Arena (u/c - 2010)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=528206

3. Ankara
New Stadium (pro)
Will be build at current old stadium area.

4. Izmir
IMO new 40-50k Stadium
Current one
Izmir Atatürk

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/TUR/Ataturk_Izmir.html

5. Antalya
New Stadium (u/c- 2010 or 2011)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=662372

6. Kayseri
Kadir Has Şehir Stadı (u/c- Will be opened next month)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=406936

7. Konya
New Stadium (pro - 2012)

8. Bursa
New Stadium (pro)
A new 33,000-44,000 is planned.

9. Gaziantep

or Eskisehir (33,500, pro), Adana, Trabzon (40,000, pro) etc

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Well, there was, as you may know, a joint nordic bid for the 2008 euros. The project was to include 4 countries I believe, and was pretty much the laugh of the town. Totaly impossible.

I know that sweden is currently looking into a bit for the euro 2016, and I agree it does look like the likely partner wil be Norway and not Denmark. It is worth noting that Norway is also looking into hosting the Winter Olympic Games in 2018...Maybe they wont spend the money on both...On the other hand they are pretty rich in Norway, and the big costs would probably be in infrastructure that would be done for the WG anyways, so....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Danish - Swedish bit?

Why did Sweden go to Norway?
Denmark has the biggest stadiums!

Then what about a Danish - Swedish bit?
The stadium list isn't much different.

Denmark:
Parken, Copenhagen, cap. 42500 (semifinal)

Brøndby Stadium; cap. 29.000 (only 23.400 seats), expansion needed

NRGi Park (former Århus Stadium), cap. 21000 expansion needed

Either Aalborg Stadium cap. 16.000 (Big expansion needed!)

or Fionia Park (former Odense Stadium), cap. 15.633 (Big expansion needed!)

Both stadium are relative new or has been renovated a few years ago, so it would be stupid to build new. They are both easy to expand!

Sweden:
New Stockholm stadium, cap 50.000. (Final)

Nya Ullevi, 43.200 (semifinal)

New Malmø stadium, 24.000, expansion needed

New olympiastadion stadion in Stockholm Capacity: ca 24 000 (expansion needed)

Or maybe a new stadium built my Helsingborg IF.

The big issue is then, that the expansions will demand a lot of money, so the governments has to put a lot of money into the project!

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Reptilikus said:
Why did Sweden go to Norway?
Denmark has the biggest stadiums!
I didnt say that they did, but at the moment they have been speaking, as I understand it, extemcively with the Norwigian Football Association and they have yet to even inform the Danish side about the plans. I dont know why, but in my mind it looks like they have chosen at least their prfered pertner country.

Reptilikus said:
The big issue is then, that the expansions will demand a lot of money, so the governments has to put a lot of money into the project!
Exactly. When the nordic joint bid demanded a renovation of Brøndby Stadium the state refused to pay the 50 million kroner and they have said seevral times, latest with the multiarena issue, that sports facileties are not the responsebility of the state....So maybe it will be easier to make it in Norway....

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's just so lame!

I just found out that the only western europe contries that hasn't hosted, or will host a EURO cup or World cup is:

Denmark
Norway
Finland
Island
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Luxenburg
Greece (But they hosted the olympics!)

Why is it that the scandinavian countries, except Sweden, can't get together and host such an event, when they say that we are some of the richest countries in the world. Almost everybody else apparently can!

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
One of the leading politicians have suggested building a new football stadium in Copenhagen, that could be used for a joint bid with Sweden. That was also suggested in the official olympic report.

A few years ago the city talked about building a new superliga standard stadium in Valby Idrætspark. I guess that could be build for a euro, 31.000 and then maybe downgraded later.

There is also always talk af an expantion of Parken, but there are som great problems with that...

·
Registered
78 Posts
It think It would be unfair to have three out of four EURO stadiums in and near Copenhagen.
Then it wouldn't be a joint Denmark - Sweden bit, but a Copenhagen - Sweden bit.
I know that FIFA doesn't accept that a city has more than 2 host stadiums, and I think that UEFA feels the same.

Parken is going to be expanded, when they put the old D-tribune down and replace it. I going to happen and will be done by 2008, so time isn't a problem here. But it only gives Parken 500 more seats, so there isn't any big cap. change.

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Reptilikus said:
It think It would be unfair to have three out of four EURO stadiums in and near Copenhagen.
Then it wouldn't be a joint Denmark - Sweden bit, but a Copenhagen - Sweden bit.
I know that FIFA doesn't accept that a city has more than 2 host stadiums, and I think that UEFA feels the same.
I know. But Brøndby is not copenhagen, and i think one could argue that.

Or perhaps we could just do it ourselves.

Parken
Brøndby
Valby/Amager (Tårnby - also talked about) or a totaly new in ørestaden
Køge or elsewhere on sjælland
Odense
Arhus
Aalborg
Esbjerg/Herning or somewhere on Fyn...

Would probably be a bit expencive, but dueable....

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Reptilikus said:

Parken is going to be expanded, when they put the old D-tribune down and replace it. I going to happen and will be done by 2008, so time isn't a problem here. But it only gives Parken 500 more seats, so there isn't any big cap. change.
actually since they have just pulled their aplication to host the uefa cup in 2009, so I doubt that PArken will be ready for 2008...

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Oelanddk said:
^^
what do mean by that?
That the 2 countries arent always the best of friends. And that the succes of even a joint bid, let alone a hosting, has a lot to do with politics. And that will be dificult with 2 countries. So as I said in many ways it will be easier to do it ourselfs.

Oelanddk said:
...and since when is Brøndby not a part of Copenhagen?
Since about the same time we decided that Lyngby was not a part of Copenhagen either... :) Nah, all I am saying is that an argument could be made for it. It is only because there are so few people living here that it feels so close. Technicly it is not copenhagen. Not the same city, not the same council. So I think you could get away with it, especially since we are such a small country. But it doesnt really matter anyways. If we do a joint host, only 2 stadiums are needed in the capital. (Parken + either a new or brøndby)If we ever tried it alone, well. I doubt we ever would, but lets cross that bridge if we ever get there...

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Nothing would please me more to have my Nordic Kin bag a European Championships, especially if you beat one of those awful, ill thought out, Celt Bids. However a three way bid is on the road to disaster. Don't do it! Work out a bid between two countries (most likely Sweden and Denmark) with equal distribution and then start planning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why not have a Sweden, Greece bid?

Honestly this two countries part of trying to host the European championship is just not on anymore. Just accept that you are small countries and will not hold a major tournament. Switzerland and Austria might be a success might not, I doubt it as the Swiss are horrible people but maybe they will try to be different.

Enough of joint bids, just let the proper footballing nations hold the European Championships, and the next one should be Spain.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why not have a Sweden, Greece bid?

Honestly this two countries part of trying to host the European championship is just not on anymore. Just accept that you are small countries and will not hold a major tournament. Switzerland and Austria might be a success might not, I doubt it as the Swiss are horrible people but maybe they will try to be different.

Enough of joint bids, just let the proper footballing nations hold the European Championships, and the next one should be Spain.
I think a joint bit between two contries so far apart so very very very unlikely! I don't even think a bit of this kind will be taken seriously in the UEFA.

·
yatta! yatta!
169 Posts
Please, describe what a "proper football nation" is. Is it all about population or history? Imo Sweden, Denmark and Norway are all "proper football nations", all have alot of football passion/history.

I see nothing bad with joint bids if the nations hosting it have infrastructure and stadiums good enough.

61 - 80 of 3325 Posts