SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...-hoks-520m-bio-medical-centre/5211763.article

December 8, 2009

London to get £600m chromosome-shaped genetic research complex

A £600 million laboratory complex that will spearhead British research into medical genetics, stem cells and disease is to be built in London in the shape of a giant pair of chromosomes.

A design based on the genetic structures that carry human DNA has been chosen for the UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation (UKCMRI), not only for its symbolic importance but also because it should encourage scientists from different disciplines to mingle and co-operate.

The state-of-the-art centre, details of which were first disclosed by The Times, will be one of the largest of its kind in the world when it opens in about 2015. It will bring together 1,250 scientists from diverse fields to study fundamental human biology and turn their discoveries into new therapies for conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6948145.ece

·
Registered
53 Posts
interesting. any ideas where the site will be? maybe it's a lack of imagination on my part, but I don't see how the birds-eye view (the chromosome) matches the sketches of the outside of the building. but i guess it's early doors for this on - more info will no doubt trickle through.

·
BLAND
8,863 Posts
Nice find

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
A giant chromosome! that's what I call sensationalism!

It looks like generic office buildings interconnected with a vague echo of a chromosome. Hardly exciting stuff.

But nice to see Research functions in Central London. Business and Financial industries have tended to eclipse and price out so many other activities in the last two decades.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
A giant chromosome! that's what I call sensationalism!

It looks like generic office buildings interconnected with a vague echo of a chromosome. Hardly exciting stuff.

But nice to see Research functions in Central London. Business and Financial industries have tended to eclipse and price out so many other activities in the last two decades.
Yes very boring externally, something akin to the BBC media city?

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why exactly it will cost £600m. I don't see any gold-plated bathroom taps :dunno:
I would imagine a world class research lab would be expensive! The design is incredibly dull but i think it would work well with the low lying red brick British library and the Victorian St Pancras.

Would be nice to have something with a bit of wow though.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it's quite bland, and doesn't look anything like a giant chromosome as suggested in The Times.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I suppose if that had been the intention from the outset, they might have been better off with Future Systems rather than HOK :D

As it was, it was an unintended Duck (in the Robert Venturi sense).

The Times said:
Larry Malcic, of the architects HOK London, said his team had drawn up the four-armed layout without knowing its symbolic significance. “When we showed the plans to the scientists, they said: ‘That’s a chromosome’. It’s functional, and also a very good metaphor for what the centre is trying to achieve.”

·
Londinium langur
9,703 Posts
Pretty standard stuff.....
That's a relief these days. There's no random cladding which already recommends it to my opinion. In general the design seems clean and well organised.

·
London, UK
708 Posts
Given that local residents initially opposed this scheme, preferring more residential blocks instead, we should be thankful that this world class medical research centre is being built in London. I think this is great news indeed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
chromosome-shaped ?!? thats just stupid. thats not an idea. thats a gimmick. what can it possibly add to a building that is is shaped upon what they do inside? Its like basing the architecture of a bank on a banknote or a library on a book. they should be able to do better than that for the research facility of the decade.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I always thought that in T42's case though, the logo seen from above was supposedly just a coincidence...? Something which I've never personally believed to be honest

1 - 20 of 198 Posts