SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dantexavier, where are you? please help to fill up this place, I know it is hard to get cityviews of Francistown, but maybe you have some luck!:)

·
Registered
40,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is it so hard to find pics on Francistown on the internet?:nuts:

Here is a nice eco-lodge in Francistown

street in Francistown

this is said to be one of the main streets in the city:cheers:

buildings of Francistown

a shopping centre in Francistown

·
Registered
841 Posts
.....a high school in Tonota, just 30 km south of F/Town....

.....new offices...etc...

·
Explore
2,846 Posts
Looks bigger than I expected. I love the photo of the kids at the airport. Captures the image Alexander McCall Smith creates in his books on life in Botswana.

·
Registered
841 Posts
.....more photos of Ghetto.....

·
Registered
841 Posts
.....another shopping mall called Galo......across from the Francistown mall...across from the Barclays Plaza mall....across from Nswazi mall...across from Shoprite mall..across from.....i am not kidding you people...Francistown malls are all in downtown and they are really nice.....you can shop until you drop.....

·
Registered
40,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uppington, great pics of a nice-looking city!

.....another shopping mall called Galo......across from the Francistown mall...across from the Barclays Plaza mall....across from Nswazi mall...across from Shoprite mall..across from.....i am not kidding you people...Francistown malls are all in downtown and they are really nice.....you can shop until you drop.....
So many malls in a place of just 100 000 people??? It perfectly shows that this place has well-established urban middle class and that Botswana makes it easy for investors to open shops! Chapeau!:)

Btw, "Spar" (which means "save") is a German supermarket chain!

·
Registered
841 Posts
...thanks man!!....its the least i can do...

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
.....surburbs of Ghetto!!!!....oldest town in Botswana, founded on Gold mining like Joburg....in the "locations" of Monarch and Somerset East, there are Gold Dumps similar to those in Joburg along M2 to O R Tambo......and like Joburg, there is still Gold under this city.....can't be mined due to the cost of mining in a sandy area.....but Francistown has other mines including iron, cobalt, and copper/nickel.......and not too far from Ghetto, there are vast deposit of coal which will power the $5 billion Mamabula power station....maybe someday they will find a safe method to mine the Gold......

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Excellent pictures! It also places the city in better light! And it certainly does in my opinion! I for one thought that this city was underdeveloped and archaic observing this particular settlement with the GoogleEarth program. And yes, many portions or regions of GE's satellite images are outdated, most of us are aware of that. Observing Francistown with GE it appeared to be a shanty town filled with 1 room shacks of some sort and mixed with scattered huts, a place that one would think has no development or running water or electricity. Excellent post!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts