Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently moved to Frankfurt which is great as the city is really nice and also the center of a huge transportation network. From here I plan to make many day trips and long weekends to explore Germany and hopefully some nearby countries as well

So naturally I will be starting in Frankfurt itself. The main feature of the city is it's amazing skyline. Here are some panorama's of "Mainhatten" at slightly different times of day or from different locations:

Frankfurt skyline Panorama by barnyz, on Flickr

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the kind comments. Frankfurt is very photogenic :cheers:

Here are some more normal sized photos:

Of course I had to visit the cathedral. The spire is quite visible on the skyline and is most impressive (shame about some of the surrounding buildings, however I believe they are reconstructing another set of pre-war buildings so hopefully this will improve the area)

Frankfurt am Main Cathedral by barnyz, on Flickr

The interior was reconstructed after being devastated in WW2

Frankfurt am Main cathedral by barnyz, on Flickr

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks again for the kind comments. Frankfurt is great. Ive also been on a few excellent day trips which hopefully i can upload soon once I get a bit more bandwidth on my current crappy connection. In the meantime here some more normal pics from Frankfurt

The Romer, almost entirely reconstructed but its hard to tell

Frankfurt am Main Römer by barnyz, on Flickr

It's a real shame they cant remove that round concrete thing that blocks out the cathedral from being more visible from the old town square. Nothing wrong with the building itself it's just in the wrong place

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First day trip out from Frankfurt was to Mainz which is about 40 mins on the local S train. I made the mistake of going on a Saturday. On saturdays there always seem to be big markets in all the town squares and places get very crowded so I didn't get to see as much as Mainz as I would like (of course if you like buying stuff and eating then Saturday is the best day for you!!!). Also a few churches were covered in scaffolding. Well I can always go back :)

Panorama over the city

Mainz cityscape panorama by barnyz, on Flickr

The Domplatz which got less crowed in the afternoon as the morning market started to pack up.

Mainz Domplatz by barnyz, on Flickr

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mainz is full of churches, in fact it seems to have more interesting ones than Frankfurt. On the edge of the city center is ChristusKirche. It has a grand exterior and sits nicely in a park

Mainz, Christuskirche by barnyz, on Flickr

Mainz, Christuskirche by barnyz, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 185 Posts