SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 759 Posts

·
mhji
169 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Great news indeed! Let's hope they rebuild faithfully and don't get tempted to sneak in a few postmodern buildings here and there like in Dresden. Even the "blandest" classical building pulls its weight in shaping a good cityscape imo.

Edit: ^^ D'oh!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Alas I'm not expecting anything on the scale of the Dresden reconstruction :( I wish they would. Even if it takes 50 years! I wonder if it's not more expense to reconstruction timber-framed properties in comparison with brick where you can just put plaster over it and largely machine-cut the stone mouldings. Don't know. If there's one German city I would love to wander around in its pre-war state it would be Frankfurt's altstadt!

Edit: looking at the artistic impressions, I'm not sure now that they'll even use timber in the reconstruction. It might just be done using bricks and concrete covered with plaster.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I spy some post-modern 'intepretations' of jettied timber-framed housing in those artistic impressions...but it looks way better than what's there now! I'm feeling optimistic about it :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's already in progress.

Edit: looking at the artistic impressions, I'm not sure now that they'll even use timber in the reconstruction. It might just be done using bricks and concrete covered with plaster.
It won't.

·
mhji
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was reading about this the other day! I'm really glad that they're reconstructing the House of the Golden Scales as it was probably the finest timber-framed property in pre-war Frankfurt. It's a good start and with any luck it might lead onto more reconstructions in the future. Another good thing is that they're recreating the old street plan in the area which was completely lost during the post-war reconstruction.

One area being recreated on the ground is the little square known as the Poultry Market or Hühnermarkt. Not sure how many, if any, buildings are being reconstructed around it though. At least it'll recreate a little of the intimacy of the pre-war city:

Hühnermarkt Before WW2:

Hühnermarkt After WW2:

http://butthenface2face.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/huhnermarkt-frankfurt-before-after-world-war-two/

:)

Those Pictures are very shaky

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of the buildings already restored in Frankfurt is the Thurn and Taxis palace:

However, Frankfurt is now also a business centre filled with skyscrapers, so they had to puzzle a little (and change the building layout) to make it fit:

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
One of the buildings already restored in Frankfurt is the Thurn and Taxis palace:

However, Frankfurt is now also a business centre filled with skyscrapers, so they had to puzzle a little (and change the building layout) to make it fit:

It looks fascinating. :cheers:

Frankfurt is an international capital of finance. I was wondering how the development will fit with the rest of the city. That helps me understand a bit more.

·
mhji
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is remarkable is that they tored down a complete concrete monster in order to get space for the rebuild. I think the concrete monster was a "Techniacal Hochschule" or something similar buildt in the 6070's.

·
LIBERTINED
46,541 Posts
I'm so glad Frankfurt decided to reconstruct the most vital portions of its old town now.

I hope there will be more to follow.

Reactions: CF221
1 - 20 of 759 Posts