Size:

· Gross Floor Space above ground: 72,500 sq m
· Parking: 570 cars

Architect: Prof. Mäckler (Frankfurt) www.chm.de

Developer: Tishman Speyer (New York) http://www.tishmanspeyer.com/

Tenant: Union Bank of Switzerland (UBS)

Date of completion: 2010

Facts:

· Replacing the Zürichhaus (19fl) and a second tower (17fl), one of Frankfurt’s first highrise buildings after World War II..
· Panorama lounge on floors 43 and 44

Photos:

Used with permission of Magbeam, www.deutsches-architektur-forum.de

Bild: Scan from the FAZ, Mäckler Architekten

EDIT:we decided to add a second project to this thread - the ParkTower ( 115m | 29 fl | U/C ), which is located literally next to the OpernTurm but doesn't need a separate thread

·
Registered
559 Posts
it may not be a great design, but it's fairly tall and a great skyline filler ;)

and it will compliment the neighbouring park tower (also under construction, can be seen in the last picture)

·
Just Relax
22,670 Posts
I like the design. I think the materials used in the construction are pretty important though. If done on the cheap this could end up looking pretty bad.

·
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪
Hui Wäller? Allemol!
2,618 Posts
They'll put yellow sand stone on it. I like this box ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great news and I didn´t have any doubts about this project being started once, but on the other side it was really a painful time til that.

This will be one of the projects which will be much better looking than its renderings, models, visualizations or what ever. And I can just highlight the last comment.

·
Registered
559 Posts
it all comes down to the cladding. I guess it will be similar to the park tower facade - anyone know, if they started with the cladding there?

from certain perspectives the opernturm (and the neighbouring park tower) will be visible behind the cathedral...not sure, this is good.

I hope the allianz-proposal goes ahead aswell, it's a missing link between this project and the main cluster

·
Premium member
9,609 Posts
Finally construction has started. I am very curious about the general appearence when finished. It is the first tower in frankfurt with a sand stone facade. This will allow superperb illuminations at night.

·
drug ;)
2,233 Posts
Tenant: Union Bank of Switzerland (UBS)
no... just UBS please. Union Bank of Switzerland is not existing anymore since the merger (or takeover from ;)) Swiss Bank Corporation.

anyway, i like the tower. not to much wannabe modern and not to cold.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Wow, this will really extend the skyline then. Not overly keen on the design but I am sure it will work great with my second favourite city! Cladding looks great too. When did construction start?

1 - 20 of 603 Posts