SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I talk so much about my town....I think I'll take some pictures on my walks throughout Frankin. This thread may start out a little slow, BTW.

Yandes st (the brick street) will begin historical restoration in March of 2022 and be completed by November of 2022. Bricks will be removed, restored and matched with other historic street bricks that were removed from under our main street (Jefferson St) during its reconstruction. The new street will have storm sewers for the first time ever, a new base and restored bricks along with historical limestone and slate curbs where applicable.

At the intersection of Yandes and Jefferson St is an arts and antiques district.

There's an old train depot in the arts and antique district that now is home to a candy and ice cream shop. Notice the train caboose at Depot Park.

Funky Ben Franklin mural in the arts and antiques district. My favorite mural in town.

I will get around to downtown soon and take pics of some of the most famous landmarks along with construction of the new drivehubler.com amphitheater

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start this next post with probably the most captured shot in all of Downtown Franklin. Looking south on North Main st with the Artcraft Theatre blade sign and marquee in the foreground and the Johnson County Courthouse in the background.

Another angle of the historic Artcraft Theatre. The Theatre is the most famous landmark in Franklin and plays a classic film series with movies that are older than 10 years by definition. The movies aren't digital and are played on 35mm film strip with projectors like in decades past.

For more information about the Artcraft Theatre and its classic film series, visit: The Historic Artcraft Theatre | Franklin, Indiana

The pedestrian alley next to the Artcraft was recently dubbed "Artcraft Alley". A name the locals have been calling it for years.

Next to the Artcraft Theatre is one of the oldest restaurants in town, the Willard Restaurant.

The Willard was originally "The Willard Hotel" and was a hotel along the interurban train (a train/trolley that connected most of Indiana's small cities with Indianapolis at the beginning of the 20th century). Also famous for having an award winning pork tenderloin in a state that claims the tenderloin capital of the world. Side view of the Willard:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To the north of the Artcraft Theatre is the Johnson County Museum which is housed in the early 20th century Masonic Temple. Beautiful architecture but almost creepy looking.
Across the street from the Johnson County Museum is the Main and Madison Market Cafe which is located in a building that was the first hospital in Franklin.

The old post office (Works Progress Administration built hundreds of identical buildings in towns nationwide) is now a fine dining restaurant.

Franklin City Hall

The Visitors Center is located in the same building as City Hall.

The Johnson County Courthouse Is absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Next to the Artcraft Theatre is one of the oldest restaurants in town, the Willard Restaurant.
View attachment 1378880
We love going to The Willard. Last time was fall of '19 with a grandson dressed as Spiderman (he couldn't resist wearing his costume early), and there was some kind of movie at the Artcraft that had people in period clothing/costume. Then a bridal party came out of the restaurant and wanted to pose with our Spiderman. I felt like I was on South Street in Philly (way) back in the day...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Franklin College. This is my favorite picture angle with the Ben Franklin statue in front of the college's "Old Main" building.

The statue was originally located high up on a building in downtown Indianapolis. The Franklin Insurance Company building was located on monument circle.

The newest addition to Franklin College is the Science Center located on the right side of this pic.

More campus greenery.

The Napolitan Student Center

Another Ben Franklin statue outside the Napolitan Student Center.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Johnson Memorial Hospital expansion, along with the demolition of the oldest portions, has basically created a brand new Hospital in the same location.

Construction of the new DriveHubler.com amphitheater in the floodplain on the western portion of Downtown Franklin. Can't wait for concerts and festivals here. Its right next to the farmers market lot.

Renderings added for context courtesy of the City of Franklin

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
So those photos of Ben Franklin sculptures rang a bell. Here's Ben in front of College Hall at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn claims him as Founder.):

And this one is very similar to the Ben on a Bench sculpture you showed. Probably there's a similar one at Franklin & Marshall College, which also claims Ben as Founder. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More downtown Franklin pics.

Garment Factory Event Center

Duckpin Bowling

The pavilion building has a Mexican Restaurant, microbrewery and shops. One of the seating areas has a retractable roof to make the inside dining area an outside patio (you can see it on the roofline). Only the 3rd retractable roof in the state including Lucas Oil Stadium. Also a Giant bull statue on the roof which I love.

B2S Life Sciences in what used to be an indoor car showroom back in the 1920s.

The Daily Journal (local newspaper) and Gray Goat Bicycle. Franklin is a big cycling city for its size and has one of the first and most beautiful Greenway trails in the area. (1992)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Franklin was founded in 1823 so its downtown area is historical and authentic unlike some of the other fabricated or "Disney" downtowns in the metro area.

Franklin has a growing Japanese population and is home to multiple Japanese corporations. Our sister city is Kuji, Japan. Every year, students from Kuji visit Franklin. This is Kuji Alley:

This pedestrian alley is adjacent to the Courthouse East Entrance and is aligned by Old Towne Beer Hall and Benjamin's Scoops and Treasures coffee and ice cream. The giant coy fish mural and Japanese themed alley gate is decorated in a fashion to commemorate our relationship with Kuji.

Jeff Street Pub at the the corner of Jefferson and Water streets.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Richards Brick Oven Pizza for the hippy vibe has a wood fired igloo shaped brick oven for the pizza, straw-bale interior walls in a restaurant that was once an old service center. Live music here as well.

Richard and his daughter Meg donated the land next door for an art park.

The Art Park even has a Labyrinth.

Franklin has many murals. This is one of my favorites, on the side of a local artists market.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I worked in Franklin for a Med Device manufacturer back in the early 2000's and spent a lot of time at the Willard and Jeff St. Pub. It is a really great place and has the quintessential small town americana feel to it. To me it has always been a hidden gem of the Indy area with so much focus on Carmel, Fishers, Greenwood, etc....

I haven't back to the area but once or twice since we moved to Montana, but the last time I was there we ate and drank at Shale Creek with the open roof. Very cool place and they have a solid tenderloin as well.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I worked in Franklin for a Med Device manufacturer back in the early 2000's and spent a lot of time at the Willard and Jeff St. Pub. It is a really great place and has the quintessential small town americana feel to it. To me it has always been a hidden gem of the Indy area with so much focus on Carmel, Fishers, Greenwood, etc....

I haven't back to the area but once or twice since we moved to Montana, but the last time I was there we ate and drank at Shale Creek with the open roof. Very cool place and they have a solid tenderloin as well.

Thanks for sharing.
Yw. I love my little town. Its so pretty here it almost looks like the towns in hallmark movies, Gilmore Girls, etc. Check back from time to time. I plan on posting updates of all the new urban style construction in the area as well. We have condos and an amphitheater coming to downtown. And almost every historic building downtown has had the facade restored with help from the city.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More of Downtown Franklin

First Presbyterian Church

Along with its beautiful giant parsonage

Victorian homes on Madison st.

Another few angles of the old train depot (now a candy store) along with caboose

Old school Ben Franklin mural

Historic Carnegie Library is condominiums

Was a nice rainy day and the historic architecture is nice in the rain.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What used to be First Baptist Church is now a wedding venue called "the Church on Jefferson." Glad it wasn't left empty to deteriorate.

Madison Street (architectural) Salvage is operated by Franklin Heritage and raises money for the Artcraft Theatre and other restoration projects in the city. Located in what was once a bakery.

Tabernacle Christian Church

Victorian homes along Water street

The old high school is underutilized and potentially beautiful. I cannot believe it hasn't been restored and converted into apartments or condos.

Remnants of an old coal station along the railroad tracks. Sign says Dugger Coal Company.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Courthouse Square

Never seen another downtown with an Elks head bust hanging over the main street (Elks lodge)

Anns restaurant with the Franklin DriveHubler.com amphitheater in the background. The rounded roof of the stage is taking shape.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just north of Franklin, at Whiteland rd and US 31 is Kaseys Twin Eatery and Pizza Spot. The restaurant is a local landmark and features a makeshift Coca Cola collection/museum. Along with a well known Coca Cola billboard on the side of the building featuring a baby/cherub that they call "smokey" who is presenting a bottle of coke.

Inside.

Classic diner food with a classic diner atmosphere and a Coca Cola decor. Would definitely recommend if diners are something that appeals to you.

1 - 18 of 17 Posts