Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Japan with my girlfriend last summer - about time I post the pics :)

If was my second visit to Japan and certainly not my last!

We start off in Tokyo

Now let's visit Osaka

Nara - known for all it's friendly deers

Back in Tokyo

Hope you liked them :)

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! :cheers1:

Really nice pics, I especially liked the Osaka ones. What type of camera did you use?
I use the Sony DSC-HX50V ( a 20,4MP compact with a massive 30x optical zoom ) while of course not on the level of DSLR it's small and handy and I'm overall very pleased with it.. :)

( I would never get any pictures taken if I had to drag a huge bag with lenses and camera with me on vacation )
How did your girlfriend like it?
She liked it a lot - ( what's not to like :) ) our only real issue was the heat and humidity of August ( last time I went earlier and it wasn't as bad ) but that is a luxury problem :)

Must be at least 5000 EUR for staying lets say a week here with all the expenses for air tickets, hotel, dining out, shopping and so on.
Japan is not that bad - a return flight from Copenhagen is around $1000 per person and you can get nice rooms with awesome views in 4 star hotels for $200 per night ( or even less if you don't want top floors )

( those who's on a budget can always pick the very cheap hotels used by businessmen and such - if may not have great views or 4 stars but if that's not a main concern then expenses can be kept very low )

Dining greatly depends - if you want to go eat large Scandinavian size cuts of meats Japan can be very expesive as they don't have that meat culture - but on the other hand you can get very fair priced shushi and even cheaper noodle dishes as smaller restaurants for the same price as a pizza up here

Shopping always depends on what you buy - Japanese goods prices generally seems on par with Denmark so not much to save

Overall it's not worse than a trip to the US or a tropical resort..

Did you visit other cities then Tokyo as well?
Yes we visited Osaka and Nara ( also shown in the pics ) :)

·
Materially Yours
1,048 Posts
splendid....there's that certain identifiable looks of the cities as compared to other cities in the world.

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
Great photos! I'm looking forward to more!

Here you really feel like a foreigner, lost in translation, very exotic place for big spenders. Must be at least 5000 EUR for staying lets say a week here with all the expenses for air tickets, hotel, dining out, shopping and so on.
For both my wife and I to fly to Tokyo in December it costs 10,000 SEK from Stockholm. For expenses, for two weeks you can easily survive on 80,000JPY (5300 SEK) per week if you're not even being that frugal and spending quite a lot on transport like we did.

As for costs compared to Denmark - Denmark must be a LOT cheaper than Sweden then, as Japan is a hell of a lot cheaper than Sweden. You can buy a drink from a vending machine or convenience store for 120JPY (8SEK) when it costs 20 SEK (298JPY) from a convenience store here. A bowl of noodles for 900 yen (60 SEK). There is no way you could get a meal for that in Stockholm, heck even a sandwich here costs 50 SEK (747JPY) from a convenience store. Electronics, clothes etc are a lot cheaper than here. Taxes (consumption tax) is only 8% compared to 25% in Sweden... A lot cheaper for nearly everything. I should forget about travelling around Sweden and instead go to Denmark!

·
Registered
726 Posts
A lunch special for 65 sek isn't that uncommon in Stockholm. Ready made sandwiches, especially from small convenience stores like Pressbyrån or Seven-Eleven are ridiculously expensive though.

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
A lunch special for 65 sek isn't that uncommon in Stockholm. Ready made sandwiches, especially from small convenience stores like Pressbyrån or Seven-Eleven are ridiculously expensive though.
Yeah, LUNCH special being the operative word, not evening meal - 900 yen is actually a rather substantial meal. The equivalent here, Ramen Ki Mama (the only authentic ramen place in Stockholm I have found) sell the same stuff for over double the price at 110kr+. It costs 80kr + even at the student union at Karolinska, so not exactly for the wealthy of the city. But yes, if you want to debate with me, and you nearly always do we can talk in the Swedish section rather than clog Freki's thread...

EDIT: Talk here in this thread - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1262769&page=19

·
Netherlands
86 Posts
Here you really feel like a foreigner, lost in translation, very exotic place for big spenders. Must be at least 5000 EUR for staying lets say a week here with all the expenses for air tickets, hotel, dining out, shopping and so on.
That is absolutely not true. I wen't to Tokyo and the Kansai region last year, and I only spend 1500 euros for a ten day trip, including the air tickets (Amsterdam). You just have to wait for the right deals.

Anyway, nice pictures! Sure brings back memories!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts