SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I visited Norway last week and one of the cities I stayed in was Stavanger..

( my fjord, mountain and nature thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1194993 )

It's supposedly the third largest city in Norway and located on the western shore a bit south of Bergen..

All it all it's a very cozy town, so if in the neighbourhood give it a chance :)

In typical Scandinavian fashion the city is very suburban..

Thanks it folks....

But, if you haven't already feel very free to visit my Norway thread with all my pics from the amazing fjords and mountains I visited..

Link: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1194993

·
Registered
940 Posts
God... please tell me you didn't visit Haugesund.... :nuts:

Anyway, awesome pics, i've always loved Stavanger, it's a nice smaller city, and in Norwegian measure quite big! :lol:
What's also sort of unique in Scandinavian term is it's cluster of highrises in the centre, not often you see that in Scandi cities

·
Registered
299 Posts
Stavanger is a mix of modern highrises and the rest of the city centre essentially being the biggest "sørlandsby" in the country. I like that contrast.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I cant help thinking that Stavanger looks rather boring to be so "big". Old town looks cozy and all, I like that it is so defined. Except that, its looks more or less like a huge small-urban suburb. But I havent been there yet, so I guess I should keep quiet (from now on)...

·
Landsc. Architect
2,513 Posts
Stavanger is really beautiful in nice weather. Great photos!

It's supposedly the third largest city in Norway and located on the western shore a bit south of Bergen..
Trondheim city is actually bigger, but the metro area with Sandnes and other suburbs is third in Norway. ;)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Ahh... Brings back so many nice memories :) Thanks! I get so happy everytime i see photos of Stavanger, to me it's the nicest city/town in Norway, easily!

Sandnes isn't a suburb tough, it has a distinct identity and real urban town centre, altough it is smaller than Stavanger it is still not a small town by Norwegian standards. Following this logic would make Sarpsborg a suburb of Fredrikstad aswell... And according to me, it certainly isn't... :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Stavanger is really beautiful in nice weather. Great photos!

Trondheim city is actually bigger, but the metro area with Sandnes and other suburbs is third in Norway. ;)
According to this list Stavanger is the third biggest urban area in Norway, and nr 12 in the Nordics. The citycentre of Trondheim is more urban though, but still very small.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cant help thinking that Stavanger looks rather boring to be so "big". Old town looks cozy and all, I like that it is so defined. Except that, its looks more or less like a huge small-urban suburb. But I havent been there yet, so I guess I should keep quiet (from now on)...

I get the same impression. Comparing Stavanger with Malmö the "inner-city" area of Stavanger looks very small. Malmö seems to have a very big inner-city compare to most Scandinavian cities of it's size actually. Thank God for that.:)

Very nice photos though. The nature surrounding Stavanger and most Norwegian cities is just stunning.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Stavanger is a nice city. The nightlife is very good for it's size, and Stavanger is probably the most international city in our region because of the oil industry.. Nothing boring about that.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Trust me mjøks, Stavanger is anything but a boring city, and while it looks suburban in pics it does have certain areas that are dense and with narrow streets lined with densely packed buildings too. :cheers:

Of course though there's a reason why Stavanger has so many houses, it wasn't much bigger than Haugesund before oilboom, and then it skyrocketed. So of course, there are more treehouses and residential streets in the city. Many of the inner city houses have been converted to offices though. I've seen that myself.

Still though, who doesn't love this cute charm it has so many places? Haugesund lacks these kind of places. I wish we had them, like Stavanger does...

Of course if you look at an aerial you see a few dense areas in Stavanger too:

·
Registered
299 Posts
The citycentre of Trondheim is more urban though, but still very small.
Well, it all depends on what you compare it with, of course, but I don't think "very small" is representative. With Midtbyen and the surrounding areas of Ila, Elgeseter, Bakklandet/Møllenberg, Nedre Elvehavn/Lademoen you have quite a decent area with urban architecture, unless you were just talking about the main shopping streets.

My own favourite is probably Lademoen, east of the river, which will no doubt see a revival now that the main traffic artery is being put underground. Here is a picture showing the area from Lademoparken down to Nedre Elvehavn:

http://www.adressa.no/multimedia/dynamic/01185/kommentar_0806_1185556c.jpg

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
:nuts:

Im sure the nightlife is great, that wasn`t my point.
You said it looked boring. For many people nightlife are among the things that defines a city boring or not. Maybe you wanted to say something about the architecture?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Ok, no need to make a big deal out it! Old town and Vågen surely look charming. My point is; to be a city with 125.000 inhabitants, it doesnt looks very interesting except the mentioned areas. Rest of the central areas is mostly single houses laying close to the street, giving a nice village look... As said, no need to take my opinion very seriously, Ive only drived through a few times, on google street view :lol:

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
God... please tell me you didn't visit Haugesund.... :nuts:
why is this?

you should all know that stavanger is europes biggest timber city! we have many of those wooden-houses areas in bergen, too :) surely these areas are incredibly beautiful and charming, but they do by now means give a big-city feel.. which is why stavanger might seem like a dull and boring city to some. like mjoks said, it does indeed give the city a village type of look and feeling

this is also a part of the reason why, at least from the pictures ive seen, stavanger looks like quite a small town in comparison to bergen. it looks very cosy and pretty, though :) and i really love siddiser and their dialect, despite them seemingly thinking of us as some kind of an evil big brother (can anyone confirm this?).. so i hope to go there sometime soon. its only a few hours away by car (or something like 20 mins by air).

·
Registered
940 Posts
why is this?

Because there's so much to be embarrased about Haugesund
And seeing as he was in Stavanger; there would be a chance of him passing through Haugesund too, i talked to a guy named Cacks on Simtropolis.com (simcity 4 site) who said he visited Bergen, he had nothing but nice to say about Bergen, but my town ( Ryanair is too cheap to fly to Bergen, so they land in Haugesund instead)... oh dear... Well first of all there's the bus station, a big ugly rail station built in the 50's, for a railway that was never realised, so here we are, stuck with a bus central looking like a fucking soviet block, and in quite disrepair, with a rusty metal roof shaped as seagull....

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
thats a shame. i havent really spent much time in haugesund, especially not in recent years and it doesnt look too shabby in your picture thread! ive always thought of it as a typical cute little norwegian city.

sounds like the city should be awarded some resources to do some cleaning up!

·
Registered
940 Posts
It is primarily a nice place, but god does it need a facelift some places, especially among the main throughfare Karmsundsgata, now ok, this is a ver busy road, and thus makes it quite unattractive for anyone to live there for long, but still we could at least try to fix it up, the area around the bustation is simply put a hole, several buildings are boarded up, and abandoned, and the bus station does not leave a good impression at all of the city, because of the high state of disrepair it is in. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts