SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks sleepyone for this :)

SleepyOne said:
Yes thanks Legin. Am I the only one to notice this? 'Fresh' would appear to have three phases. The first one is on site fronting Chapel Street and the other two are subject to planning. They have included indicative images of phases 2 and 3 on the website showing some sort of substantial tower fronting Trinity Way (inner ring road).

Rather a weird place to put a tower of this sort of height. Id bet this looks substantially different when it come out in the wash.
I think something this substantial deserves a thread of its own.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This area of central Salford is going to be very dense on the skyline. There's this, chapel wharf towers, greengate towers. There's plenty of room for development too.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Arent there some relatively new flats already on this site?
This used to be the Post Office site and there is a rather gloomy bank(?) building next door.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Just conceptual images of phase II and II at this stage (Phase I fronting Chapel St is already on site). Just strikes me as an odd position for a building of this height. The inner ring road desperately needs to be lined with some appropriately large and imposing buildings in this area and the architectural quality really needs to be improved following the disaster that is Bellway / Leach Rhodes Walker's 'City Point' development on the corner of Trinity Way and Chapel Street.

'Fresh' is by the same architects (Leach Rhodes Walker) but a different developer (Nikal?). I would be slightly suprised if this got through planning in this form, if and when it is submitted.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
That's a biggie.

Residential, I take it?

That would make the height around 120-130m, although if it's mixed use it will be higher.
Mixed but predominantly resi. The first few floors on all the blocks seem to be visually differentiated from the upper floors and probably contain office use with ground floor retail.

·
Mancunian Member
7,180 Posts
Nah, empty site or naff industrial i believe, the v shaped building in pic 2 is City Point ain't it?! Bout time we had some news on a NEW 40+ storey tower!!

Hey, with both Manchester & Salford building 40+ towers now, it'd be funny seeing 'both cities' in the top 5 skylines list, haha! And Salford would technically have 2 skylines!! alongside Manchesters 1 big 'un!

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SleepyOne said:
Just conceptual images of phase II and II at this stage (Phase I fronting Chapel St is already on site). Just strikes me as an odd position for a building of this height. The inner ring road desperately needs to be lined with some appropriately large and imposing buildings in the area and the architectural quality really needs to be ramped up following the disaster that is Bellway / Leach Rhodes Walker's 'City Point' development on the corner of Trinity Way and Chapel Street.

'Fresh' is by the same architects (Leach Rhodes Walker) but a different developer (Nikal?). I would be slightly suprised if this got through planning in this form, if and when it is submitted.
I think the position insidethe actaul development is wrong, i think it should be where phase 1 is being built. But i think it's good that gaps are being filled in our 'ring' of scrapers. The whole development is pretty similar to Crowngate actually, it's of a similar height and form. It too is far out and pointing away from the city, in a not-so-dense area.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Should this emerge as it is shown there (which I doubt it will), great. Its about time we had something which isnt completely glass and has some curves.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Yes i see where it is now - had a moment of geographical blindness.
This is a very odd place for such a large building.
Its all getting a bit silly if you ask me.
This isnt big money players building high yeald commercial developments a la London, Frankfurt, Shanghai etc. This is two bit house builders comparing willys in the showers and them showers happen to be in a realy unglamourous part of salford!
Besides the long term economic implications of such daftness and with my heritage hat on (pictures on a postcard of what you think that may look like!) i have concerns about the impact on the setting of a couple of listed buildings. That is mere bagatelle though because this scheme is quite literally pie in the sky and it just doesnt add up to me.
It just seems a bit ill conceived if you ask me (which nobody did!).

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do we know what Nikal have done. Their website, whilst flashy, seems to be under construction. No info there!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
"Yet another apartment high-rise?" I hear...

Get used to it.

The 'Big Guy' ain't creating any more land.

Oh, I heard there's loads more up for grabs though.

Only problem is, it's in the sub-arctic tundra of northern Canada.

You'd best get a move on mind, even it's getting carved up and 'claimed' by mining and prospecting companies...

Soylent Green anyone?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

:runaway:

Sorry MartinG

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Longford said:
Yes i see where it is now - had a moment of geographical blindness.
This is a very odd place for such a large building.
Its all getting a bit silly if you ask me.
This isnt big money players building high yeald commercial developments a la London, Frankfurt, Shanghai etc. This is two bit house builders comparing willys in the showers and them showers happen to be in a realy unglamourous part of salford!
Besides the long term economic implications of such daftness and with my heritage hat on (pictures on a postcard of what you think that may look like!) i have concerns about the impact on the setting of a couple of listed buildings. That is mere bagatelle though because this scheme is quite literally pie in the sky and it just doesnt add up to me.
It just seems a bit ill conceived if you ask me (which nobody did!).

Pie in the Sky! Ill concieved ! Your being very negative Longford. I've got a faint idea where your comimg from though - NIKAL don't seem to be in the premier league when it comes to property development - but on the positive side this scheme does have planning permission - at least for the first phase -and is under construction - which is more than we can say for Greengate, Albany, Eastgate etc. Have faith this part of town is changing for the better .

·
10th February 2008
59,917 Posts
No thanks, once again!

The height is more than acceptable, but the design is not. To be honest, I hate these very slim, curved towers.

Before anyone one starts, it's nothing to do with Liverpool, it's the similarity between the two towers.

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Looks like a tall version of the first Masshouse Building in Birmingham, In fact someone did an extened 12" remix on the picture to make it tall, and it look thus:

That person being Martin G of course!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Im not sure what the relationship between Nikal and Dylan Harvey is but nevertheless Nikal are also behind Birmingham's Masshouse so they are a pretty ambitious developer. I might be sending people off on a complete wild goose chase by mentioning Nikal though. Its just I seem to remember them being mentioned in an article when phase 1 was first mooted.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts