Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2 Cities with only thread status, who have both had more than 2000 posts, with 2 other cities with over 1000 posts.

I post on the Leicester thread and it is becoming increasing harder to discuss any subject or construction project in depth.

As you are aware on a thread, the subjects are constantly being disrupted by either new subjects, or follow on from other discussions on the thread.

On the Leicester thread the last I looked, we had 2,131 posts with 82,909 views. This makes it the most popular thread, but it could be much busy if it had its on sub forum.

In Leicester we have over £3 Billion being spent on city centre regeneration. With more to come as future projects are introduced.

The highlights of our current wave of developments are:

3 Skyscrapers designed by Ian Simpson.

A new performing Arts Centre (PAC) costing over £65 million.

A more than doubling of size of the cities main shopping mall

A new Science park.

Both City Universities undergoing major redevelopments.

(I’m sure the other forums on the Leicester thread will say that I’ve missed a few major ones)

We and some other cities now deserve our own sub forum.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,569 Posts
I agree as there are many projects happening in Leicester that are important on a National Level, i.e. the Leicester Performing Arts Centre. Though Leicester and other cities may not be regional leaders, the projects in those cities are no less important. :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep fighting Leicester!

It tooks ages for Sheffield to have one but we eventually got there. I think Gothic wanted 1. - more members from that particular city and 2. a few more concrete developments proposed!
In varying number of posts, there have been over 60 people posting on the Leicester Thread, How many do you think they require?

There is absolutely loads going on in Leicester. On a resent survey (after Brum), it has the most crane count in the Midlands.

Ps Rafael Viñoly is the architect of the new PAC building

·
Registered
501 Posts
In varying number of posts, there have been over 60 people posting on the Leicester Thread, How many do you think they require?

There is absolutely loads going on in Leicester. On a resent survey (after Brum), it has the most crane count in the Midlands.

Ps Rafael Viñoly is the architect of the new PAC building
I'm not quite sure to be honest. I can just remember that Gothic hightlighted these requirements before we got our Sub-Forum.

·
London Based
1,281 Posts
I support your proposals! In Coventry we have an official thread in the construction section liek yourselves, but being part of the West Midlands our smaller projects are sub-catagorised in the Birmingham Metro Area thread. We currently have £8bn going into the city centre and surrounding areas and as we are just outside the Top 10 in the population rankings feel often neglected!

Moderators - please can we have some more sub-forums for the busiest threads?

·
London Based
1,281 Posts
Yeh, i noticed that Liverpool now has sub-sections to its main section on the front page of the forums!!! - whats going on there? Those forums aren't even that busy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks mate.

Any idea how many were posting on the Sheffield thread and how many posts before you got your own Sub Forum?
Don't think it was anywhere near the 60 you mention but there is a fair few with regular posts of images etc. We had new threads every 500 posts - Leicester should now be on their fifth thread! We also created a Sheffield Summary and posted all the major proposals there for everybody to see and i suppose Gothic and others decided on giving us a sub forum to discuss them all.

I think one of the things your thread is lacking is photos - i love to see photos of other places and whats going on. If you had more i'm sure you would generate more interest from other users. I have only recently checked you thread so they maybe pics that i have missed!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh, i noticed that Liverpool now has sub-sections to its main section on the front page of the forums!!! - whats going on there? Those forums aren't even that busy.
I’ve noticed that as well,

That 2 for London & 3 for Liverpool.

That means that there is enough space there for at least three other Cities.

Come on Guess let push for our own Sub Forums

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
I think it's a little harsh to ignore the over-crowded, but popular threads, that belong to some of the UK's major cities. Leicester inparticular is deserving as it's become the focal point of the East Midlands in the area this whole forum has been created for.

A city that has been over-shadowed by others, and a city that has had all the charm of a rubbish tip, but now a city that is changing all of that by going far beyond everybody's expectations deserves to be highlighted.

Adding my name to support this thread!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't think it was anywhere near the 60 you mention but there is a fair few with regular posts of images etc. We had new threads every 500 posts - Leicester should now be on their fifth thread! We also created a Sheffield Summary and posted all the major proposals there for everybody to see and i suppose Gothic and others decided on giving us a sub forum to discuss them all.

I think one of the things your thread is lacking is photos - i love to see photos of other places and whats going on. If you had more i'm sure you would generate more interest from other users. I have only recently checked you thread so they maybe pics that i have missed!
To check to number of poster, I just clicked the number of post on the Leicester thread & just roughly counted the names.

Ref photos, I think there is quite few, but the last few days the posts have really increased and these have mainly been text.

Please have a read through the thread.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Were on our 108th page, just imagine how many pages we would have used if we posted more pictures!!

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I must admit the Leicester Thread often gets a look in from me. I'm slightly puzzled as to why Liverpool has the luxury of an additional area for all its general chat to go in. Isn't this preventing another city from a place to discuss their genuine development issues?

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
Thames Tower

DMU residential

The Highcross Quarter (shires expansion)

Westbridge 'Scrapers'

Int' House, Granby Street

Performing Arts Centre

Streets and Spaces scheme

I know i've missed lots and lots of things out, but i'll go hunting for more shortly!

·
b e n
66 Posts
Can I voice my support for this proposal also...
We are having unprecidented regeneration in a number of key areas:

Retail - e.g the Hammerson High Cross Quarter Development.

Lifelong Learning - e.g. Leicester College / Leicester Uni / DeMontfort Uni developments.

Living - e.g.Ian Simpson Towers

Culture - the Performing arts centre / Digital Media Centre.

etc...!

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
Rather than flood this thread of pictures showing Leicester's transformation, i've added the rest to the Leicester thread where they should be :)

1 - 20 of 369 Posts