SkyscraperCity banner

What will the impact be on Nairobi's Planning and Development

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Functions of Nairobi County Government handed over to the National Government

Functions of Nairobi County Government handed over to the National Government pursuant to Article 187 of the Constitution. In a land mark agreement signed at State House today, Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko and Devolution Cabinet Secretary Eugene Wamalwa in concurrence with H.E President Uhuru Kenyatta, signed an agreement, handing over functions of the Nairobi County Government to the National Government, pursuant to Article 187 of the Constitution.

The signing of the agreement was also witnessed by the Speaker of the Senate, Hon. Kenneth Lusaka and the Attorney General Paul Kihara.The National Government therefore, will take over the following functions of the Nairobi County Government:

i)County Health services

ii)County Transport services

iii) County Public Works, Utilities and Ancillary services

iv)County Government Planning and Development

This will ensure Nairobi residents receive services efficiently.

The move comes as a breakthrough in the running of county services that had ground to a halt.

More

·
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Usually this would go to Safari Lounge, but because it directly affects planning and development in Nairobi I shared it here.

Interested to hear what you guys think as well as suggestions on how they can incorporate some of the great ideas we share here regularly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love that part of county transport services. It opens the door for speedy implementation of BRT. All the overlapping functions for roads between KURA, county govt and Kenha will now be collapsed into one. Relocating utilities for road projects will also be much easier. It used to consume so much time with endless correspondence between govt depts.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Question for Clarity,Does it means the govt Takes over till come elections 2022 ama?plus is there a way we just diffuse Nairobi county and become a municipal under the National govt?i haven’t seen such suggestions in the BBI report but Nairobi just can’t be a county of it’s own honestly

·
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ I think for now it stays that way until 2022.

As for BBI, it keeps role of MCAs and MPs in Nairobi but abolishes Governor position....in line with many capital territories around the world where there's political representation (through MCA and Mps n this case) but the technical day to day running of the capital is under national government to maintain the neutrality a capital city needs.

That's my understanding of the situation.

·
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One set of politician handing over to another set of politicians.
I see what you mean and that would actually be a problem but I think those specific functions being moved to national government will be run by technocrats, not politicians.

I don't know what the exact set up will be but you can imagine how much better Nairobi will do if planning is handled by guys in the caliber of PS Hinga.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This might be an excellent opportunity for the GOK(read Uhuru's legacy) to get a lot of the projects they wanted done, done as soon as possible without having to deal with politics and general noise emanating from the county government, is my hope. Housing, transport, public works and development and planning can efficiently pushed along - with little friction/bureaucracy.

Functions of Nairobi County Government handed over to the National Government

Functions of Nairobi County Government handed over to the National Government pursuant to Article 187 of the Constitution. In a land mark agreement signed at State House today, Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko and Devolution Cabinet Secretary Eugene Wamalwa in concurrence with H.E President Uhuru Kenyatta, signed an agreement, handing over functions of the Nairobi County Government to the National Government, pursuant to Article 187 of the Constitution.

More

·
Registered
12,470 Posts
All I care to know that the national government will not stall and hinder projects.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is all about revenue. Nairobi County is a cash cow and the GoK is broke....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Sonko was a mistake and a big disaster..You only needed to move around Nairobi to get a feel of the neglect and total chaos. From boda boda's in the CBD to hawkers back in town...Glad the national government has taken over.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There pothholes everywhere. CBD, streets in Westlands...

Hope now National gov can with speed fix those. Replacing / fixing vehicle suspicion every now and then is not cheap. Few years back esp during Kibaki regime, it was hard to find a pothhole anywhere in the city.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
There pothholes everywhere. CBD, streets in Westlands...

Hope now National gov can with speed fix those. Replacing / fixing vehicle suspicion every now and then is not cheap. Few years back esp during Kibaki regime, it was hard to find a pothhole anywhere in the city.
The rains did a number on the city roads. Especially roads done under Sonko. Looks like you cant hide a poorly done foundation with limited drainage for long.

Has anyone seen the parks lately. I've never seen the grass that tall since Moi left power.

·
Registered
12,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
This is all about revenue. Nairobi County is a cash cow and the GoK is broke....
Ok what becomes of rate payers i.e land owners revenue? Do we now pay direct to national gov't ? Also note the same national gov't is the biggest debtor in unpaid rates for its many properties.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts