Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
7,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An ideas/concept thread for discussion on areas within Brisbane and potentially other areas of SEQ which are likely (or you would like to see) to see significant redevelopment or infill projects in the next 30-40 years.

A couple of areas I foresee be redeveloped:

- Boondall: I imagine at some stage in the next 30 years, the whole area surrounding the Boondall Entertainment Centre will potentially be in line for redevelopment. The BEC should be moved closer to town as part of this. The area would be ripe for significant entertainment, commercial and high density residential development, being adjacent to 2 railway stations, plus close proximity to the Gateway Motorway and Brisbane Airport.

- Mayne Railyards: Obviously a huge piece of land, close the city, but currently a critical piece of rail infrastructure. Something would need to be devised to move it somewhere else, or alternatively, build right over the top of it and essentially create a "2nd level city". This is a perfect location for a large extension of the CBD, with proximity to frequent PT all around it, RBH, Inner City Bypass, Airport Link etc. Further to this, it would be an ideal location for a relocated Entertainment Centre.

I've done some concept plans for the Mayne Railyards and how a potential redevelopment could work and will post in the future.

Anyone else have thoughts on this and other areas within Brisbane?

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
^^ I agree with Mayne Railyards, and think that maybe that whole area might be in for some changes when the New Generation Rolling Stock completely replaces the current EMU/SMU/ICE fleet, as the current maintenance facilities at Mayne would become redundant to the new Wulkuraka facilities. Stabling will probably remain at Mayne for a while though, but it should still allow for a reworking.

Not sure about Boondall though. The Boondall Wetlands are a protected environmental reserve I'm pretty certain, and possibly part of the overall Moreton Bay Marine Reserve (not 100% on that though). And even if we're talking about the suburban part of Boondall, I personally think Boondall is still just too far out of town to see anything major happen in the near future. Maybe in a couple of decades time though.

Areas I would add, living aside places like Woolloongabba, West End River Front, Valley/Bowen Hill and Hamilton which are already partway through redevelopment, are all a bit closer to the CBD. There's the perennial favourite of the Pauls Milk Factory site, most of the river front sites between North Quay and Roma Street (with a few exceptions like Infinity, Santos, 400 George, etc) a large part of Milton, particularly between Coro Drive and Milton Road, much of the centre of Toowong and the very riverfront strip of Auchenflower to tie Milton and Toowong together.

Also, maybe the older industrialised Morningside riverfront and the part of Murrarie west of the Gateway Bridges? I've always had this idea that maybe everything on the western side of the Gateway could eventually become residential, with all industrial uses located on the eastern side, largely between the river and Port of Brisbane Motorway.

·
7,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With regards to Boondall, I definitely only meant the area west of the Gateway...absolutely not the wetlands side. The area on the west is just bushland, which could easily have significant sections maintained if any redevelopment did occur. There is nothing particularly unique or enivronmentally sensitive in this zone (that I know of)...I mean, they've already plonked a huge building and acres of carparking through there, not to mention a six lane highway.

Also agree on the Morningside riverfront areas. Huge, huge potential all along here (Northshore Hamilton on steroids), but for the time being the land is evidently still viable as industrial sites and marine associated infrastructure...but give it 20yrs or so and I think we'll substantial high rise, or at least high density development all along here.

·
7,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not as familiar with the southside, but what about areas around Carina, Camp Hill and Carindale...are these likely to ever see high rise development in the next 20-40 year period? Those suburbs are all just sprawl zones at the moment.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
How likely is it that that big factory (or whatever it is) near the Milton Station would move further out? Seems odd to me (comming from Perth) to see a big industrial building so close to the CBD and so close to all that residential development...

Then again, I have no idea what it is or why it has remained there for so long so maybe there are reasons it isn't going anywhere...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
How likely is it that that big factory (or whatever it is) near the Milton Station would move further out? Seems odd to me (comming from Perth) to see a big industrial building so close to the CBD and so close to all that residential development...

Then again, I have no idea what it is or why it has remained there for so long so maybe there are reasons it isn't going anywhere...
Do you mean the iconic XXXX brewery?
To demolish that for apartments would rank up there with the Bellvue demolition as one of the crimes against Brisbane.

·
7,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha.

jonwil, are you actually referring to the XXXX Brewery as bribri pointed out? That little sucker is in for the long haul.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
The Castlemaine Perkins (XXXX) Brewery? I reckon it will be a cold day in hell before they move out of Milton. They have been brewing beer in that location for over 130 years, with XXXX as associated with Milton as Bundaberg Rum is with Bundaberg.

The Brewery is heritage listed and special acts of Parliament protect its operations from complaints by future neighbours, so I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

With regards to Boondall, I definitely only meant the area west of the Gateway...absolutely not the wetlands side. The area on the west is just bushland, which could easily have significant sections maintained if any redevelopment did occur. There is nothing particularly unique or enivronmentally sensitive in this zone (that I know of)...I mean, they've already plonked a huge building and acres of carparking through there, not to mention a six lane highway.
I'm pretty sure that some of the woodland on the western side of the highway is part of the Boondall Wetlands reserve. The triangular area to the south of Bicentennial Road I believe is included.

20111101_1776 Boondall Wetlands sign by williewonker, on Flickr

·
opinions are my own
1,343 Posts
The Castlemaine Perkins (XXXX) Brewery? I reckon it will be a cold day in hell before they move out of Milton. They have been brewing beer in that location for over 130 years, with XXXX as associated with Milton as Bundaberg Rum is with Bundaberg.

The Brewery is heritage listed and special acts of Parliament protect its operations from complaints by future neighbours, so I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
i half agree with you, but have you been on a brewery tour at milton? and have you been on a tour at yatala?

the difference is like night and day. whilst milton is the "spiritual home" of xxxx, the facilities look (to me) to be so old, run down and outdated that it might also end up being their graveyard. sooner or later they are going to need to do some serious upgrades to their equipment, and i'm not entirely sure that they will be able to do those at milton while still brewing beer.

so, i agree with you that it would damage their brand equity to close the milton brewery. but they might end up doing it for financial reasons, knowing full well that it'll hurt, because their milton brewery is so out-dated.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i half agree with you, but have you been on a brewery tour at milton? and have you been on a tour at yatala?

the difference is like night and day. whilst milton is the "spiritual home" of xxxx, the facilities look (to me) to be so old, run down and outdated that it might also end up being their graveyard. sooner or later they are going to need to do some serious upgrades to their equipment, and i'm not entirely sure that they will be able to do those at milton while still brewing beer.

so, i agree with you that it would damage their brand equity to close the milton brewery. but they might end up doing it for financial reasons, knowing full well that it'll hurt, because their milton brewery is so out-dated.
Having just in the last few weeks on a brewery tour of the factory, I can promise you their equipment isn't old or outdated. They run the entire plant on clean fuel (no coal is used), and all of the packaging and brewing facilities are located there (and everything looked pretty damn modern to me). It may look run down on the outside (and perhaps could use a bit of paint/touch up here and there), but it certainly isn't even close to being run-down.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
I can't say I've been on a Brewery tour of either, but Lion doesn't have any other Queensland-based breweries, so to keep brewing XXXX in Queensland (because while moving it from Milton would damage the brand, moving it out of the State would surely kill it), it would come down to either having to buy land to build a brand new facility, or to renovate the existing site that they already own.

As only a relatively small portion of the overall Brewery would be considered to contain heritage fabric (the iconic parts fronting Milton Road), I think there is easily enough scope for future modernization of the facilities set further back within the site without damaging the heritage values of the site.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I wasn't aware of the purpose of that particular factory, its history or that it had laws specifically protecting it (unlike Perth where beer brewing by the big boys moved out of the historic Swan and Emu breweries into a bland modern facility in Canning Value and from there was recently moved to South Australia)

·
opinions are my own
1,343 Posts
I can't say I've been on a Brewery tour of either, but Lion doesn't have any other Queensland-based breweries, so to keep brewing XXXX in Queensland (because while moving it from Milton would damage the brand, moving it out of the State would surely kill it), it would come down to either having to buy land to build a brand new facility, or to renovate the existing site that they already own.

As only a relatively small portion of the overall Brewery would be considered to contain heritage fabric (the iconic parts fronting Milton Road), I think there is easily enough scope for future modernization of the facilities set further back within the site without damaging the heritage values of the site.
i reckon there are four scenarios, and in descending order of likeliness

1. temporarily halt brewing at milton (temporarily brew in NSW), temporarily close & rebuild milton site, re-open with modern facility
  2. sell milton site with 2-3yr settlement terms, use cash to buy greenfield site and construct brand new facility, permanently close milton once new facility is finished
  3. do nothing, keep on using old facility
  4. somehow modernise/construst new facility at milton without interrupting brewing

·
26,701 Posts
I think Yeerongpilly through to Acacia Ridge has some massive redevelopment potential.

As with around the areas along the Caboolture line starting at Toombul have massive potential, particularly around the Toombul Shopping Centre.

Ultimately though, if we ever get a Metro, anything near a Metro station.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
The one major thing i notice about Sydney as opposed to Brisbane is that in Sydney TOD's are the norm, major residential/commercial precincts are located on public transport interchanges. Brisbane doesnt really have any of this, the 3 biggest shopping centres(Garden City, Carindale and Chermside) are all lacking rail transport and are only served by busses. Toowoong is about the closest equivalent that Brisbane has, i think there needs to be a greater emphasis on developing more TOD's in Brisbane.

Alternatively, places like Parramatta, Liverpool, Bondi Junction, Miranda are all located on train lines but also serve as a terminus for busses etc. Its not just the retail component, all of these locations have significant high density residential developments located in the surrounding area making it a hub upon itself. Even new high density residential areas like Green Square/Alexandria are all adjacent to a train station.

For example, on the southside i believe the area sitting in between Boggo Rd Jail, The Gabba and Mater Hill should be zoned a high density residential/commercial area. Get all those houses that are there and ship them out elsewhere..

This area is inner city real-estate served well by PT, its sitting at the junction of the Beenleigh and Cleveland rail lines as well as the future Cross River Tunnel. You also have the SE, Eastern and UQ Busway. It should become Brisbanes equivalent of North Sydney, now i know people will get upset claiming heritage blah blah blah.. And i am typically well supportive of retaining heritage, but for the sake of Brisbane's future i think if demand permits then the houses should be shifted.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Toowong may have good rail links but the center itself is crap inside and I dont see any evidence that the current re-vamp is going to do all that much to improve things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts