SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Future Hoped For Skyline of Brum?

1712 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ianrobo
I came across this panoramic image online whilst googling 'Birmingham Skyscrapers' and adopted it by adding in - through two distinct stages - some of the additional proposals to the skyline as close as possible to where they would appear from this viewpoint. Apologies to the original creator of this image (if they also should be a member of this forum) that I appropriated their image in this way but it creates a general pleasing prospect of just what the city's tower-scape could look like in 10-15 years if any or all of these proposals were finally given the go ahead. What an impressive skyline the city will have at long last! We have waited long enough for our first true skyscraper as it is!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Good stuff except sadly 211 and 100 B-road street no longer
Martijn do you know something that we don't?

Where did this 3rd tower pop up from?
Also..."Travel lodge site - 56 floors"

One missing from your mock-up is Glassworks - 48 floors. No proper renders as of yet for that one though.

Great work btw!

(p.s. The original work was done by Van Heckler.)
Nice render. Birmingham already has a good skyline with European standards, but as you say no real skyscraper. Have visited Brum once, in 2017, it is an underrated and really nice looking city, with many projects going on already then.
Just wait for the octagon and one east side
Nice render. Birmingham already has a good skyline with European standards, but as you say no real skyscraper. Have visited Brum once, in 2017, it is an underrated and really nice looking city, with many projects going on already then.
Reactions: Nightsky
I know that but this is a fantasy vision which one still wants to cling on to.

Yes it's really galling and annoying about 211 BS being chopped by 10 floors (just cancel it then FFS until a time comes when they CAN reactivate the scheme and build it to the original height specification - this happens a lot in Manchester where towers are paused and then reactivated only to be built TALLER with more floors as opposed to less [examples being St Michaels, Great Jackson Street and Whitworth Street]... so what is stopping Brum?)

The CGIs for 100 BS should never have been released by Glancy Nicholls in the first place. That was the ultimate insulting ruse in sheer deceptive fantasy. I guess we should have seen it coming though because BS is also short for bullshit. As in 100 BS = Bullshit x 100! Birmingham's problem has always been forever coming up with fancy tower schemes that will never ever be feasibly built, so I wish they would stop all this nonsense because even now my (most pessimistic) gut feeling is all of the towers in this projected panorama may yet be scaled down to 30-35 floors max - yes, even Octagon! - once the real impact of this 2 year recession hits.
Good stuff except sadly 211 and 100 B-road street no longer
Reactions: ianrobo
Thanks for the heads up about who was the creator of this original render!

Glassworks is 37 floors isn't it? :/ Or is this another fantasy new proposal just released that - as ever - we may well not see for the next 30 years and counting?
One missing from your mock-up is Glassworks - 48 floors. No proper renders as of yet for that one though.

Great work btw!

(p.s. The original work was done by Van Heckler.)
😆😆😂😂

Just me being mischievous as we all know damned well that this scheme / notion / fantasy / red herring was already dead from the neck down the moment it was even unleashed (like with about 99% of anything developers 'propose' for Brum that is carbon neutral or indeed 'signature landmark towers' of 50+ storeys high - as in 'never in our lifetimes!').

It sure looks nice though doesn't it? But sadly never gonna be a reality due no doubt to its location more than anything.

This is the reason why I doctored it for the avatar as it wasn't going to be taken even a quarter seriously anywhere else!
Martijn do you know something that we don't?

View attachment 4197272

Where did this 3rd tower pop up from?
can we get this renamed to "The Official Birmingham Size Queen Thread 1!" please?

jokes aside, interesting diagram. as stated, youve forgotten Glassworks which is indeed 48fl, not 37. its a Regal project so who knows, they might add 2 floors or something! im pretty comfortable that will happen.

additionally South Central is a round 30, and i dont think the 5 towers along smallbrook queensway will be that tall compared to Octagon, right? not too sure on the topography around there though
Reactions: SteveOC
Is this the one and only Martin G ? :censored::censored::censored::censored:
1 eastside and Octagon are similar heights aren't they, the topography looks like the latter will appear maybe 40m taller?!
Mercian already looks huge from most directions in the suburbs.
Reactions: charliehs
maybe not 40m but yes Octagon is a not-insignificant amount higher up than 1E.
1 eastside and Octagon are similar heights aren't they, the topography looks like the latter will appear maybe 40m taller?!
Mercian already looks huge from most directions in the suburbs.
Maybe 30m? That hill going from Bull Ring Tavern up to Waterstones seems like Everest some days!
maybe not 40m but yes Octagon is a not-insignificant amount higher up than 1E.
Both these scrapers will look awesome from Yardley
:)

Photo credit to the peeps who developed The Equipoint building at The Swan

Maybe 30m? That hill going from Bull Ring Tavern up to Waterstones seems like Everest some days!
I know but still looks impressive, no Cortland or Exchange Square or Makers Yard/South Central ;-)
A bit old haha
It will in two years time
  • Love
Reactions: Brum X
1 - 19 of 19 Posts