SkyscraperCity banner

461 - 466 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is there a higher resolution version of this image? That looks awesome.
The original image had this resolution, I just added some more towers with 1 skyscraper that is just about 450~550m tall. Considering the greatest cities of all in the world incl. HK, NYC, Shanghai, Seoul and even Tokyo (a city with much greater earthquake potentials than LA) have 550m+ now, I thought LA, the second largest city in the US, deserves one as well.

See how the skyline upscales just with 1 real supertall (500m+) and some other similarly scaled skyscrapers (300m+ ish) as the ones currently in the city. LA is built on a majestic coastal plain to overlook (pollution to continue to be improved), but it doesn't have any bridges or anything like that, that S.F. does to decorate, thus it needs a real nice skyline to present by itself in the center of the plain. Reversely, if you remove Sears Tower, (and the John Hancock and Trump) from Chicago's skyline, or Toronto's CN Tower from its skyline, those become a real junk quite honestly like LA's current skyline.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it's maybe a little too optimistic to expect every project to go through let alone on time and completed in a 5-6 year time frame. Don't get me wrong, LA's skyline needs vertical residential and commercial more than any city but this kind of growth is not seen anywhere outside China and select Asian/M.E. countries. And currently LA's skyline is extremely sad for it's population, it does not deserve a super tall until we get there. This is coming from an LA skyline lover, but even I'll admit it's an underwhelming skyline for it's name and prosperity (vertically speaking).

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
True. But remember that having a tall skyline is not important as relates to quality of life. The only thing relevant to that is what happens on the first 4 floors or so, that is, on the streets and homes of the people.

It's usually the powerless young or those with arrested development who keep thinking in terms of "big d*ck" contests all their lives. Forget the skyline and checkout what you can do to improve your 'hood.

461 - 466 of 466 Posts