SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following is a list of the twenty fastest-growing American metros of between a half-million and one million people, according to most recent census figures. Included are each metro's best-known city, the area's 2007 population, and its percentage of growth from 2000-2007.
If current trends continue, these are the "ones to watch". Which of these areas will be the next wave of major metros in America's future?

1. Fort Meyers, FL- 590,564 - 33.95%
2. Baton Rouge, LA- 770,037 - 27.70%
3. Boise City, ID- 587,689 - 26.43%
4. McAllen, TX- 710,514 - 24.77%
5. Bakersfield, CA- 790,710 - 19.50%
6. Stockton, CA- 670,990 - 19.06%
7. Lakeland, FL- 574,746 - 18.77%
8. Ogden, UT- 518,349 - 17.10%
9. Sarasota, FL- 687,181 - 16.48%
10. Charleston, SC- 630,100 - 14.78%
11. Tucson, AZ- 967,089 - 14.62%
12. Albuquerque, NM- 835,120 - 14.45%
13. Modesto, CA- 511,263 - 14.38%
14. Des Moines, IA- 546,599 - 13.54%
15. Colorado Springs, CO- 609,096 - 13.32%
16. Daytona Beach, FL- 500,413 - 12.87%
17. Melbourne, FL- 536,161 - 12.58%
18. Fresno, CA- 899,348 - 12.50%
19. Madison, WI- 555,626 - 10.73%
20. Columbia, SC- 716,030 - 10.63%

It should be noted that much of the Baton Rouge metro's dramatic population increase coincided with the Hurricane Katrina disaster along the Gulf Coast.

·
Cajun504
124 Posts
To see Baton Rouge so high on the list is a surprise. But I think that Baton Rouge and New orleans will, in maybe 30 years or so, become one large metro area. (If we every get our act together down here). Much like a Minn-St. Paul or Dallis-Ft. Worth. Maybe not 5 million people, but at least a highly developed urban landscape along the I-10 corador/Airline Hwy. Good example, Bluebonnet in 1975 was farmland. Dose this still count.

Baton Rouge, Charleston & maybe Tucson seen to already have some density, There are a few high-rises going up in down town BR right now.

Besides, I think Miami will be the next great international skyscraper city in America.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
well pretty soon in Florida its going to be a big loop from Miami up to Daytona over to Orlando then over to Tampa all the way to Ft. Meyers/Naples and probaly Naples/Ft.Meyers over to West Palm Beach which is the northern terminus of the Miami metro but soon it will just be a section of the Florida metropolis. :nuts:

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,357 Posts
Once the politicians here in Wisconsin get their collective acts together and fix the state's woeful business climate, look for the already briskly growing Appleton/Green Bay/Oshkosh area to boom.

Mike

·
SysAdmin Emeritus
2,770 Posts
Once the politicians here in Wisconsin get their collective acts together and fix the state's woeful business climate, look for the already briskly growing Appleton/Green Bay/Oshkosh area to boom.

Mike
HA! Like THAT will ever happen! :)

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
My impression was that Wisconsin does pretty well for itself in terms of growth. Of course no Midwestern state will grow like Nevada, but I thought Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin all had favorable business climates and did much better than perennial laggards Ohio and Michigan.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
But I think that Baton Rouge and New orleans will, in maybe 30 years or so, become one large metro area.
In 30 years New Orleans will have been given up due to horrible costs of reconstruct the city after the yearly monster hurricanes.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I don't necessarily think any of them will reach a high status. There was a point when places like Dayton and Youngstown were growing at extremely high rates, but they eventually cooled off. You can't assume that because these areas are growing rapily now, that they'll continue to do so indefinitely.

·
18,156 Posts
I said in another thread that I can see Albuquerque becoming the next Phoenix; with all of the people leaving California because of higher prices and less land and whatnot for places like Phoenix and Las Vegas, I can see native Arizonans, the first wave of Californians, and people generally not liking getting crowded in leaving the Phoenix area and going eastward. The continued "California-ization" of Arizona is going to cause people to leave that area for cheaper land and property.

·
/BMOREBOY
3,017 Posts
Greenville, SC is really one of the future metropolitans. It is predicted to look like Atlanta by 2030 (area). At one point of time there was a new subdivison breaking ground everyday which is good and bad (newcomers, and sprawl). Greenville downtown itself is a future destination, and greenville will be a future art destination for small arts by 2011. When you go there you will think it is a get away because not to many people heard of it but it is medium-sized. ATLANTA AND CHARLOTTE ARE GROWING RAPIDLY TOWARDS GREENVILLE. This area is said to be the worlds future automobile research area, and also one of the world premier golf areas with lots golf courses under construction. Greenville County will have over 550,000 people by 2030 this is old census now it has to be around 650,000 people. I was looking at Live Maps and noticed that South Greenville County has enough land to actually contain another core city. It seems as if 100 jobs are proposed every 5 days (i thought the econmy was bad not there). The area has 8 counties with 1.2 million people. The largest suburban county is Pickens County with +100,000 and it is predicted to have over 175,000 people by 2030 in recent census. I wrote all this to tell you we are growing fast also Spartanburg Couunty has 275,000 people now by 2011 it will have over 300,000 people. And Greenville and Spartanburg are growing fast towards each other and the city between them is greer which has 2 hospitals underconstruction and less than 25,000 people.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would look for Baton Rouge to become the largest city in Louisiana in another 20 years. The land is there for growth but the city has got to get their act together on infrastructure first.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would look for Baton Rouge to become the largest city in Louisiana in another 20 years. The land is there for growth but the city has got to get their act together on infrastructure first.
:lol: The only reason BR grew is b/c Katrina although BR will see a little growth from people moving back into the city from the suburbs as will N.O on a much bigger scale.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In 30 years New Orleans will have been given up due to horrible costs of reconstruct the city after the yearly monster hurricanes.
I don't know what you mean by 'yearly' as N.O has been hit by major hurricanes only four times in the last 100 years with only two of those causing great damage. Thanks for playing, idiot.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
McAllen. I think the entire Rio Grande Valley from Brownsville to McAllen will be major. It already has about 1.4 million people. The region grows by 30,000+ every year. It is just an extremely poor area, and the most money is in McAllen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You're the idiot if you're forecasting major growth in New Orleans.

Maybe you're talking about the dust particle count, not the actual population count.
No, not really. You're just bitter b/c no one stood up for you and your fellow Okies in the SE forum. No one cares!

Now on to your point, N.O is experiencing steady growth right now, more than BR. But the experts are predicting that N.O may seem som major growth from people moving back into the city from suburbs if gas prices continue to rise.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts