SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
641 - 660 of 668 Posts

·
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea
3,715 Posts
Johannesburg is just as developed as the listed cities you've mentioned in Latin America, but it can't compete when it comes to it's increasingly growing financial sector. Regarding everything else, Johannesburg is just as developed: Highways, Public Transit, Slum Replacement, Stadiums, Tall Buildings, Entertainment, Industry, Tourism, Universities, etc...

·
Atheism rulez!
3,278 Posts
The HDI is the better way to know the development of a place. And Buenos Aires 's HDI is 0.923 (high) and for example the HDI of Singapore is 0.922.
The HDI of USA is 0.951
Sao Paulo: 0.841

Can you see the difference between Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires? Buenos Aires has a HDI like Singapore.

But we are speaking abour "megacities" and Buenos Aires has abour 10 million people more than Cape Town.
Buenos Aires also had the First Metro line in southern hemisphere and Iberoamerica.
Buenos Aires count with important services and factories. It is a global city.
Cape Town is a really beautiful city and is a Jewell in Africa but I think the Latin American Cities of Buenos Aires, Santiago, Mexico DF and Sao Paulo-Rio de Janeiro, are really in a better rank
That only shows that HDI is hilarious! Buenos Aires may be far ahead of all Latin American megacities, but surely is nothing compared to Singapore! And it may be close to a 1st World city, but it isn't yet. It can only become 1st World if the entire country introduces a sustainable social welfare system.
Same goes for South Africa, Mexico etc. And as long as people have to live inslums and myriads in the streets with high crime rates and no social welfare, they cannot be considered in this thread, as they are Third World or Developing World, thus you have to open another thread about them. This is ONLY ABOUT 1st World...

·
Registered
物の哀れ
25,184 Posts
But Buenos Aires doesnt have massive slums housing millions of people. Sure they have old, dilapidated neighborhoods. Most of the slums are scattered here and there and dont cover mile after mile of the urban landscape.

·
Atheism rulez!
3,278 Posts
But Buenos Aires doesnt have massive slums housing millions of people. Sure they have old, dilapidated neighborhoods. Most of the slums are scattered here and there and dont cover mile after mile of the urban landscape.
I know that Buenos Aires isn't Rio or Caracas. But they do not have a sustainable social welfare system. Buenos Aires is a case of a very godd non developed city. I think it can be considered fully developed in about 15 years. Just like Santiago or Montevideo. :cheers:

·
°°°°°°°°°°°°
2,850 Posts
Sorry, Cape Town is closer to Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Sao Paulo than Melbourne, NYC, London, and Frankfurt.

As was mentioned earlier, CT has a GDP/capita of $27,000. The three Latin American cities range from $15-22,000. The other three (excluding Frankfurt, didn't have data on it) range from $42-63,000.
the gdp figure for frankfurt is approx. $108,000 (or over 74,000 EUROS) - highest in europe

·
23,296 Posts
then why cape town has a little amount of tall building.bbaiires,sao paulo, mexico city and santiago has more finacial markets and bussiness than cape town

Cape Town has very strict height restrictions in order to prevent the obstruction of views. As a matter of fact, 2 weeks ago it was announced that height restrictions are being reviewed.

·
Atheism rulez!
3,278 Posts
Cape Town has very strict height restrictions in order to prevent the obstruction of views. As a matter of fact, 2 weeks ago it was announced that height restrictions are being reviewed.
I am a fan of Cape Town. But I don't know why you put it so much above South America. At least they don't seem to have South Africa's struggles to build stadiums for a WC! And South Africa is doing not so well about that issue even with massive help from Germany! I think South America has more chances and will to become developed that South Africa. Sorry, at least this is what South Africa passes as an image!

·
23,296 Posts
then why isnt any construction yet
Well as a matter of fact with that announcement came the announcement of the tallest building in Cape Town which has just begun construction. More are to follow.

I am a fan of Cape Town. But I don't know why you put it so much above South America. At least they don't seem to have South Africa's struggles to build stadiums for a WC! And South Africa is doing not so well about that issue even with massive help from Germany! I think South America has more chances and will to become developed that South Africa. Sorry, at least this is what South Africa passes as an image!
Have you done any research whatsoever? Where on Earth you get your information from is beyond me. Please do some more research from proper sources before you make ill-informed comments. All of the world cup stadiums are on track - some are ahead of schedule. It baffles me where you get the load of garbage you just said from.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The topic says: Developed Future Megacities.

Megacities are those of more than 10million? So Mexico City, SP, Buenos Aires, Cape Town.... What cities fit in this category?

Developed Cities? Let's say developed is .900 HDI and above... So, Which cities fit in this category?

Future, ? Let's say 2030? What cities fit in the category of being MEGA by population and having a HID above of .900?

Now, are we going to consider the whole country as a rule to include a city in this category? Because, just as an example: Buenos Aires by the year 2030 could have a HID above .900 but the country could be below of .900 of HID. So, Are we going to consider Buenos Aires eventhoug the whole country is not above the HID Of .900?

Let's define what we are to consider before starting to discuss....please..

·
Atheism rulez!
3,278 Posts
Well as a matter of fact with that announcement came the announcement of the tallest building in Cape Town which has just begun construction. More are to follow.

Have you done any research whatsoever? Where on Earth you get your information from is beyond me. Please do some more research from proper sources before you make ill-informed comments. All of the world cup stadiums are on track - some are ahead of schedule. It baffles me where you get the load of garbage you just said from.
There have been plenty of articles here in Germany saying that Brazil was more prepared to host a 2010 games than South Africa!

·
23,296 Posts
There have been plenty of articles here in Germany saying that Brazil was more prepared to host a 2010 games than South Africa!
We all know that and actually laugh about it on a daily basis. Don't the uninformed media just love crying wolf? Go do your own research and maybe you'll see just how wrong your beloved articles are. Construction is very well documented in the South African forum.

·
Atheism rulez!
3,278 Posts
Well, and an article on BBC saying the same? FIFA was about to take away the games from South Africa!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The topic says: Developed Future Megacities.

Megacities are those of more than 10million? So Mexico City, SP, Buenos Aires, Cape Town.... What cities fit in this category?

Developed Cities? Let's say developed is .900 HDI and above... So, Which cities fit in this category?

Future, ? Let's say 2030? What cities fit in the category of being MEGA by population and having a HID above of .900?

Now, are we going to consider the whole country as a rule to include a city in this category? Because, just as an example: Buenos Aires by the year 2030 could have a HID above .900 but the country could be below of .900 of HID. So, Are we going to consider Buenos Aires eventhoug the whole country is not above the HID Of .900?

Let's define what we are to consider before starting to discuss....please..
you're better of starting a new thread...some people just dont know how to let go

S

·
0 Posts
The South Africans aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer - they are under the IMPRESSION that they are developed but the TRUTH is that South Africa is a corrupt country teeming with reverse racism, the daily rape and abuse of children (unlike anywhere else in the world), xenophobia, the blatant abuse of democracy, HUGE crime rate and their cities are more third world than anything that I have seen in Brazil (who I might add is decades ahead of South Africa).I hope that I am proven wrong one day.

641 - 660 of 668 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.