Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Black Sea
Here is a map of its basin:

Everything that falls in that territory eventually finds its way to the Black Sea.
Now, this thread is about the cities around the Pont-Euxin, such as, but not limited to:
Varna
Burgas
Odessa
Costanta
Sevastopol
Yalta
Sochi
Samsun
I'm keeping Istanbul out, because it's a topic of its own, and it would just crush all other cities combined, that's how massive it is! And also, we don't need to know about villages, etc.

So what I wish to discuss is the future of these cities, what are their plans for development, how are they doing economically and demographically, etc.
And what are your wishes for these cities, what do you think they should do to progress, what should they build.
And most of all, what is their potential for skyscrapers. I dream of a skyline in Varna, with the relief and density of commieblocks, it would be looking great. Ever since as a kid I've been drawing skylines for the city, with a giant 750m CN Tower clone, to deserve the entire northeast of the country. But I had also planned a skyscraper-statue of myself, with a waterfall in my mouth, etc. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So for Varna, I've read about a proposed plan for the expansion of the city to the west and south, basically since that's the only way to go. East there's water, and north it's overdeveloped, it's mostly villas and resorts, and the hill stops urbanization.
Going south, they wish to construct two more bridges over the canal, one that would link the city to the Hemus highway, and another pedestrian bridge to better connect the residential areas. Also there's a big residential project, proof of the newfound interest in Asparuhovo and Galata.
Now whether or not they will build all of this is unclear, but I think it's a good idea, and I think that eventually the city would start to grow in height. I've read some say that the city could reach the million mark in over a decade, if all goes well. I doubt that, and unfortunately I don't remember where I read it, so I might be talking BS. In any case, the city has already plenty of commies, but it doesn't make a skyline, and for that, it needs better commercial value, and that's harder to get, considering the competition in the area.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
That's an interesting map. I'll dig something out.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
ODESA. Population of one million. Main port of Ukraine

MARIS-STELLA VIP Residential Complex

Planned complition: 3Q of 2006

SAN-TERRA Fitness Centre

Planned complition: 2Q of 2006

"Одесскiй Классикъ"

"ЦИТАДЕЛЬ"

"Жемчужный" Elite Residential Complex

"Delfinia" Recreational Urban Complex, Odessa

The "Delfinia" Recreational and Park Development Complex in Odessa, Ukraine is located at the city's harbor in the Black Sea.
Delfinia is an ambitious and challenging project of multiple uses and of a total surface area of around 200,000 sq.m. The project will incorporate existing installations while providing high standards for future housing expectations.

http://www.hanner.lt/cgi-bin/hanner.cgi?l=Lt&f=vystomi_projektai

Daugiabutis gyvenamasis namas Odesoje, Ukraina
Bendras plotas 19 000 m2;
Parkingo vietų 150.
Projekto užbaigimas 2007 m. pavasarį.
Adresas: V. Inber, 3, 5, Odesa, Ukraina

Business centre, Odessa
The object was a nine storey building to be reconstructed to an office centre.

Purpose: residential
Construction Dates
Finished: 2006 (behind schedule apparently)
Floor Count: 30
Floors to Floor: 3.50 m
Heights
Spire 131.0 m
Roof 115.0 m
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=35804
__

Ok, I just copied all of this from our section about Odesa ;)

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
^^ very nice

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's nice, but I wanted this thread to be more of a discussion about plans of these cities, and how they are to develop in the future. Of course we'll need some renders, but maybe not of these small buildings, we need maps of new highways, or new urban plans, etc.
And as I said, a discussion on what their plans are, and whether or not they are realistic. Or what they should do instead.
Which brings me to the question... What are Odessa's goals in the future?
In Varna's case, they try to develop the tourism sector even more, but in the same case wish to expand the seaport and airport. Ferry service is provided to many other Black Sea cities, and I think that is a very good thing

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Odesa's development is mostly associated with tourism and port.

The port is being expanded, but I don't remember where the article about it is. It's also becoming Ukraine's "florida" where rich Kyivans like to buy weekend houses. In some areas cost of the property is almost as high as in Kyiv.

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
Well, I want Crimea to become a Ukrainian Côte d'Azur - rich villas, chic hotels, amazing beaches. Basically a resort and vacation area not only for Ukrainians, but Europeans and other tourists.

It really does have great potential, as do all the cities all the Black Sea cities. Seriously, this is the new Mediterranean! It's the next hot-spot, soon it will be swarming with tourists!

Also, a few cities in the area are vying for the Olympic Games in the future. That should boost the profile of the area. I just want the Black Sea cities to be getaways with crazy crazy discos by the sea, all types of beach activities, etc! That's my dream! :colgate:

·
Sara je vo(Sarah is bull)
1,251 Posts
^^ For some reason ever since I was a kid I always thought the Black Sea was very dark and full of huge fishes that would eat you or rip you up into pieces.

Too much horror movies I guess :lol:

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
arêteixion said:
^^ For some reason ever since I was a kid I always thought the Black Sea was very dark and full of huge fishes that would eat you or rip you up into pieces.

Too much horror movies I guess :lol:
Actually, when I was a kid, we used to vacation on the Black Sea all the time, in a small Crimean town. There used to be jellyfish in the sea, and I was SO freaked out of them! I was constantly looking out for them! Oh, fun times! :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Must admit I don't know much about the Black Sea region, I always had some negative connotations with it when I was a kid as well because I thought the water must be black. :)

Also my uncle told me scary stories from his merchant sailing days when he stopped in Black Sea ports when the Iron Curtain was still up.

I could definitely see lots of potential there though, especially tourism and ports on the Western side of the Black Sea.

BTW how is the health of the Black Sea in an ecological sense? Are there pollution problems or issues etc ... ?

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it used to be polluted, since all the waters of the Danube are dumped there, etc. but now it's getting better. And that's why your stories of huge fish are crazy, because we like to joke that it's a dead sea, it's a little nasty.
And that's why I have to tell Sergei that it will never compare to the Mediterranean, although some spots might be just as good.
Back on topic, about Odessa, does it get any competition from other Ukrainian cities, maybe Sevastopol? Or are they playing two different markets? I know that Varna and Burgas are competing as the major Bulgarian port, but they each have their own kind of speciality, so most of the natural resources go to Burgas.

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
Sevastopil isn't really competition. If there is competition then it's Yalta and Odessa.

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
3tmk said:
it used to be polluted, since all the waters of the Danube are dumped there, etc. but now it's getting better. And that's why your stories of huge fish are crazy, because we like to joke that it's a dead sea, it's a little nasty.
And that's why I have to tell Sergei that it will never compare to the Mediterranean, although some spots might be just as good.
Back on topic, about Odessa, does it get any competition from other Ukrainian cities, maybe Sevastopol? Or are they playing two different markets? I know that Varna and Burgas are competing as the major Bulgarian port, but they each have their own kind of speciality, so most of the natural resources go to Burgas.
I mean, in terms of tourism, I believe it will be the next thing. Most people are tired of going to the Mediterranean, and want something new. I don't believe it's anymore polluted than the Mediterranean, at least not the parts where I've been. I would expect the Mediterranean to have a lot of pollution because of the high tourism, all the cruise ships, etc.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Actually Sergei, Crimea's resorts and hotels have been 100% full for the past 4 or so years. Mostly Ukrainian and Russian tourists. Some Poles.

In Ukraine there are three cities in competition for this resort type of a city. It's Odesa, Yalta and Kerch. But they're all different.

Odesa: clubs, good hotels, expensive restaurants, party place for all of Ukraine. But beaches aren't that good, it's an industrial port.

Yalta: best beaches and resorts

Kerch: more of a free vacation, without resorts, but just getting your own room and going out there independently.

There's also Evapatoria, but I think its not that significant now.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Ukrainians prefer anything thats not Ukrainian :D
its a "soviet" complexe we have. All my friends and family-friends who live in Kyiv, vacation either in Turkey or Egypt.

·
Banned
344 Posts
And its true, a lot of us Balkanians have an in-built opinion that Black Sea is "dirty".
I don't know why that is. I've heard only good things about Bulgaria's Black Sea coast.
Although, only Serbs with not so deep pockets go there right now.

Its cheaper for us to vacation in Greece, Turkey or Bulgaria than on our own coastline for some reason.

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
Dr.Mesofius said:
Actually Sergei, Crimea's resorts and hotels have been 100% full for the past 4 or so years. Mostly Ukrainian and Russian tourists. Some Poles.
Why "actually"? Did I say otherwise?
Yes, it's already quite popular with some Eastern European tourists, but the possibilities are endless! Why stop now? There is SO much more room to expand! We need to attract tourists from all over the world, so we need to build more resorts and hotels to accommodate them.

BTW, I'm sure Evpatoria will be popular too. That's where we went every summer. It's a small town but the main attaction is the beautiful nature and sea, as well as health resorts. I miss it! :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.