SkyscraperCity banner

Will I-275 exist in 300 years?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will I-275 still exist in 300 years?

(More projects for "Future Tampa 2099".)

Thank you
-Shanghai~10

PS: To a moderator... Please move this to "Skyway Lounge" if you feel it is more of an appropriate topic there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure how anyone could have a reasonable opinion on what will exist in 300 years. If you go back to 1717 we have too many technologies today that were simply unfathomable then.
Usually Major Port cities no not disappear from the map, unless humanity is completely wiped out. I think it will always be there. Around then, I see the population of earth being lower. Unless it's completely submerged it will always have a reason to draw off the Gulf of Mexico. I say it even has a higher chance of existing than Miami in 300 years time.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Im just curious on other peoples thoughts about the expansion of 275 from MLK to Bearss. I quite honestly was surprised so many people don't want anything done. My thought is, this since doesn't add any right of way and isn't ridiculously expensive, to do it, since 275 sucks now like 16 hours a day, not just at rush hour. But I think once you get past 4 lanes each direction on a road you get diminishing returns. At the same time, I can understand the frustration of people living in Tampa that with wider roads you just get more people moving further and further out that will clog everything up within a year anyway so why bother.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,142 Posts
If FDOT is quoting $300m today, you can bet your life that the price tag when they finally get it built, it will be closer to $450 million, if not higher. The $324 million Selmon Connector ballooned to nearly $600 million. The $347 million Gateway Express ballooned to at least $580 million. The HFB rebuilt went from $454 to over $900 million. The $600m Westshore interchange will now be at least $1.1 Billion. Do you see the pattern here?

For these kinds of dollars, we could have already built a fairly comprehensive regional network of rail based around the CSX network and some pretty significant BRT for local transit services to tie into. It could already be built, not be something that's years away for billions more. Wake TF up people.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Now they want to make MFJ 24 lanes??? WTF? I like the idea of alternative modes of transportation and tearing down I-275 north of DT completely.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's absurd. Look how well never ending expressway expansion worked for ATL and LA. I think they should just build elevated "thru lanes" from Pinellas to I-4 with no exits so that everyone from Pinellas can pay a flat rate toll of say $2 to be on dedicated lanes with no access to Tampa and the ability to bypass the 275 Tampa mess between the bridge and downtown. Spend vastly less money then to fix the few bottlenecks that slow everything down like the sharp curve from 275 S to veterans and the one lane exits from 275 S to I-4 and from the bridge to the airport. If traffic still stinks, change your travel times or work on alternate methods.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,142 Posts
^Yes, because Tampa should surrender more of itself to let Pinellas people cut through town? Screw that, they can go north and through road zombie-land in Pasco, around Tampa. We severely need that connection anyways now that the Suncoast is apparently being turned into I-75 west.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I do not understand why they don't build a second level with less ramps...this would provide a faster pass through downtown and prevent the expansion in term of width...maybe include the rail elevated as well...monorail...

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,142 Posts
It's extremely expensive to doubledeck an already elevated highway. Look at the Gandy thing. A bit over 2 miles, just two lanes total, and it's a quarter of a billion dollars. 4-8 lanes even higher up is going to cost even more per mile. And also be noisier and spread more pollution btw.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Looks like works getting underway to fix the tangle at the end of the HOFRA. Although as we've seen even if they can manage to fix this spot a decent amount, it just speeds up the cars to get clogged at the next bottleneck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
^Yes, because Tampa should surrender more of itself to let Pinellas people cut through town? Screw that, they can go north and through road zombie-land in Pasco, around Tampa. We severely need that connection anyways now that the Suncoast is apparently being turned into I-75 west.
Oh yes us Pinellas people just love driving through your neck of the woods. I like to load up my whole family and go on a joy ride through the beautiful places 275 takes me.

So if this is your mentality, I better not ever see your ass on the Sunshine Skyway.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks like works getting underway to fix the tangle at the end of the HOFRA. Although as we've seen even if they can manage to fix this spot a decent amount, it just speeds up the cars to get clogged at the next bottleneck.
It will help tremendously though. It is such a stupid bottleneck. 4 lanes down to 2 back to 3, oh and then 4 again!

Not to mention the people who clog the right lane that exits to Westshore. Those idiots cut over at the last second to get into the lane that exits to the Veterans. Really need something like a dedicated exit lane for the Westshore ramp. Once you are in, you can't get out.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yeah it will help a bit going southbound on 275 and should help the bottleneck a lot at the very end of the Vets. As far as 275 into Tampa i think weekends will be an improvement but weekdays will barely make a dent, since you slog along all the way until about Fowler Avenue already.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,142 Posts
So if this is your mentality, I better not ever see your ass on the Sunshine Skyway.
I don't even own a car anymore and haven't driven for over 2 years, so my guess is I might not go over the skyway again in my lifetime. I haven't been over it in at least a decade as it is.

It's a stupid regional network design to force nearly all Pinellas travelers through Tampa. Especially when a route across N Pinellas and Pasco would actually be more direct for many of them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts