Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EXCLUSIVE: Where the new Carolina Panthers stadium could be built

Personally, I like the current stadium the way it is...convenient location (for me) and good skyline view.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Farmer Jim Miller owns 220 acres of land right on the line between North and South Carolina. From his property, you can see uptown Charlotte from a distance.

Two sources, including a Charlotte government official, have told NBC Charlotte that there is interest in building a new stadium for the Carolina Panthers in the Carowinds Boulevard area and Miller’s property fits the bill.

“A long time ago, this was one of the first places that they picked to put it right on the state line and call it 'State Line Stadium,'” Miller said this afternoon.
Read more http://www.wcnc.com/sports/exclusiv...4645&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always say there are pro's and cons to everything. The Carowinds area has some pros. But to me it has a lot more cons. I personally would like to keep it uptown. It's established there already and helps serve many uptown businesses. So taking it away takes that business away from those places. 2nd is it is the "center city" so in theory if you're 30 minutes north or south or east and west of uptown, it's equally accessible to all. Putting it out there obviously changes that. All areas in Charlotte are going to grow and all cities can't help but to grow out a bit. But this expedites that growth (sprawl) in that area. Which helps SC as much if not more than it does for NC. Kind of like all these companies that move just over the border and reap all of the benefits for doing such. Yet still enjoy all of the resources and amenities that Charlotte provides. When they wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Charlotte. #1 priority obviously is just keeping the team right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would rather have them add a retractable roof like Arthur Ashe stadium than build a new one.
Thank you!

I'm absolutely and 100% not a fan for us to pay for a new stadium. And especially, when we have a perfectly fine stadium that could simply be updated. I think it's ******* stupid, and to be honest, I'm definitely not a fan of a stadium being built away from Uptown. Seriously, what the hell?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Not being from Charlotte and not even liking the Panthers (for obvious divisional reasons), it would be a shame to move the stadium or put a roof on the present one. One of the coolest things about the stadium are the views of the skyline. It is the south. You don't need to play football inside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get that but building a new stadium, like in ATL, would do Charlotte and this community wonders financially. NCAA final four would come, NCAA football championships, super bowl, wrestle Mania, and many more events. None of which will come here unless they get a new stadium. I'd prefer it uptown but South Carolina Offers massive tax cuts for a New Stadium so Carrowinds seems possible.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I get that but building a new stadium, like in ATL, would do Charlotte and this community wonders financially. NCAA final four would come, NCAA football championships, super bowl, wrestle Mania, and many more events. None of which will come here unless they get a new stadium. I'd prefer it uptown but South Carolina Offers massive tax cuts for a New Stadium so Carrowinds seems possible.
Again... NO. Fixed the old stadium, upgraded, and leave it uptown. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this: I don't wanna go to a Panthers game somewhere in the woods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If theres to be a new stadium, without question we would be right back at Clemson for a year or two For complete demolition and rebuild, our site is so perfect!!

I noticed the lack of parking issue, which is profitable for owners could become a problem with the limits by being in center city.. there’s literally an active train trail in the stadiums backyard, how cool, if a new stadium shuttled fans right into the stadium by LYNX Light rail in joint partnership with new owners and vendors for retail

And of course we know they'll be breaking ground on Charlottes new Gateway Station with tracks leading down to a new Panthers stadium, wouldn't it just be a beautiful thing to see! We gotta think BIG guys...

A New stadium can be more off a vast retail complex or mall, and along with the train �� it will always generate traffic for constant flow of revenue, like New England’s lovely complex but more focused!

I'm very excited about a new stadium if there were a chance it could happen!
if anyone in the right circles can spread some of these good ideas that would be amazing for the city of Charlotte and our booming economy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Again... NO. Fixed the old stadium, upgraded, and leave it uptown. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this: I don't wanna go to a Panthers game somewhere in the woods.

You can only fix something for so long. That stadium is closing in on 25 years of operation. Eventually they will need to move it or demolish it and build a new one in the same location. logistics that go with playing on a college campus for two years or so are tough but it's doable. They played in clemson back in the early 90's. USC (which is closer) seems more likely. I'd prefer to keep them uptown. I was just saying carowinds is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Carolina Panthers plan to build a team headquarters and practice facility in York County

One location under serious consideration is the site of the former Knights Stadium and Charlotte Hornets practice facility off Interstate 77 in Fort Mill, 15 miles south of the Panthers stadium in downtown Charlotte. There’s talk of extending a light rail line from Charlotte into York County as part of the project.
In the near future, the Panthers are expected to upgrade Bank of America Stadium or find a replacement.

Sources understand the team could seek a York County site able to accommodate a stadium and the old baseball stadium location off I-77 receiving attention has about 300 acres. But new Panthers owner David Tepper has said he plans to keep Carolina playing in the immediate Charlotte area.
The Panthers’ new practice facility and corporate offices are being modeled after a complex built by the Dallas Cowboys, sources said.
Read more https://www.postandcourier.com/news...cle_7edc90a2-fd98-11e8-b43f-9baf45c6f9a4.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
One of the things I didn't like about the location of the stadium is no parking. And if a developer sees a blade of grass in uptown Charlotte,they want to build something on it.Yeah there are some lots scattered around that charge ridiculous rates and I've been told a lot of people use the parking decks. But you can't properly tailgate in a parking deck. One of the coolest things about the Coliseum and Rose Bowl are the large on site parking lots where you can have the true tailgate experience. The last two times I watched Wrestlemania it was outdoors.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@JourdanRodrigue

Tepper expanded a little on the push the Panthers are making on a possible MLS bid and also brought up likelihood of future stadium renovations - would be cheaper, house more sports and provide substantial and immediate economic impact. New stadium would cost too much.
Katie Peralta
@katieperalta
This month Panthers filed to rezone their 8.6-acre practice field site uptown (new renderings below.) Plan next goes to CLTCC for a vote. As @JourdanRodrigue wrote last week, work has already begun on the climate-controlled bubble near the stadium https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article228177394.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts