SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I need to say much more, almost all Scots have strong feelings either way about this.

Discuss :)

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
From my Central Belt point of view I dont see its relevance, sure its romantic and its a part of our heritage but I dont see what function it serves in modern Scottish life. According to Wikipedia only around 1% of the population speak it so even if I was fluent there arent many people I could speak to and even so they most likely speak English anyway. Id love to know more about its role in 21st century Scotland but I definitely dont think it should be taught in schools or anything like the way Irish is taught in Ireland or Welsh in Wales.

I also think the way street names and train stations have the Gaelic translation is fairly pointless, at least where I hail from where no one speaks Gaelic.

·
Free Cake
3,189 Posts
Can't speak a word of it, dastardly lowlander that I am, but there was a Gaelic Unit in my primary school for some reason. It's something I'd be interested in taking up though, and I support the government's actions to try and keep it going.

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my Central Belt point of view I dont see its relevance, sure its romantic and its a part of our heritage but I dont see what function it serves in modern Scottish life. According to Wikipedia only around 1% of the population speak it so even if I was fluent there arent many people I could speak to and even so they most likely speak English anyway. Id love to know more about its role in 21st century Scotland but I definitely dont think it should be taught in schools or anything like the way Irish is taught in Ireland or Welsh in Wales.

I also think the way street names and train stations have the Gaelic translation is fairly pointless, at least where I hail from where no one speaks Gaelic.
You are aware that a fair percentage of Gaelic speakers are from the Lowlands?

Bilingualism has been proven to be a huge part of cognitive development, in a country seeking to make our education system one of the best in the world, should this not be a key part of our plan?

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can't speak a word of it, dastardly lowlander that I am, but there was a Gaelic Unit in my primary school for some reason. It's something I'd be interested in taking up though, and I support the government's actions to try and keep it going.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/beag_air_bheag/

That website is excellent, it's a great foundain and I think that most places in Scotland have evening classes and the like in Gaelic. It's never too late to learn ;)

I study the language at university, so give me a shout if you need any help and I'm fairly sure that MacCoinnich is fluent so he'd probably give you a hand?

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
I don't think I need to say much more, almost all Scots have strong feelings either way about this.

Discuss :)
I couldn't give a flying **** personally. The only time I ever had strong feelings on the subject was when they put Fireman Sam on in that jibba jabber:eek:hno: Wankers.

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't give a flying **** personally. The only time I ever had strong feelings on the subject was when they put Fireman Sam on in that jibba jabber:eek:hno: Wankers.
:pet: I feel your pain, I mind the same thing happening to me.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Still, it clearly spurred you on.

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
You are aware that a fair percentage of Gaelic speakers are from the Lowlands?

Bilingualism has been proven to be a huge part of cognitive development, in a country seeking to make our education system one of the best in the world, should this not be a key part of our plan?
Apparently not:

I agree that learning a language is paramount and I am ashamed at how little effort i put in at school and I have taken language courses since. However it is infinitely more beneficial to learn a language that would be productively used like French, German, Spanish or even Chinese. What is the point of learning a language so you can speak to 60,000 people, read the Gaelic part of signs and watch the Gaelic version of fireman sam.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ :lol: That's percentage of the population of those areas, not percentage of Gaelic speakers.

Edit: Oi! Boards! Get out of the way, I was using a ^^

:happy:

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently not:

I agree that learning a language is paramount and I am ashamed at how little effort i put in at school and I have taken language courses since. However it is infinitely more beneficial to learn a language that would be productively used like French, German, Spanish or even Chinese. What is the point of learning a language so you can speak to 60,000 people, read the Gaelic part of signs and watch the Gaelic version of fireman sam.
Scottish Gaelic is very helpful towards tourism, which is (whether we like it or not) an important part of our economy.

Life is not geared towards business, and the number of people with knowledge of the language is around 90,000, it's also beginning to gain more young speakers.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Actually, Gaelic my have it's uses. I haven't pumped a Gaelic burd yet so I'm looking forward to the sounds she'll emit during the deed. They're almost feral up there aren't they? She'll probably clean her snatch with her tongue when we're down. Super sweet.

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, Gaelic my have it's uses. I haven't pumped a Gaelic burd yet so I'm looking forward to the sounds she'll emit during the deed. They're almost feral up there aren't they? Super sweet.
I don't think you'll catch much Gaelic snatch to be honest, there are good Presbytarian (presbyterianism, the fear that someone, somewhere, somehow, is having fun) girls up here [/blatant bullshit]

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Fast is it? Runs like the wind? Crafty? Don't worry, I've got a rifle and a net and rohypnol...

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
Scottish Gaelic is very helpful towards tourism, which is (whether we like it or not) an important part of our economy.

Life is not geared towards business, and the number of people with knowledge of the language is around 90,000, it's also beginning to gain more young speakers.
I think it is far from the most important factor in people visiting Scotland, very far.

It is vastly more important to learn French, etc as they can actually be used productively. I think if you want to talk about Gaelic we should also be talking about Scots which I believe to be much more widespread. Its also something that an SNP MSP decided was a good use of public money, to complain that supermarkets 'imposed' on us names like potatoes instead of tatties.

The map shows where Gaelic is most important in the community. Overall its about 1-2% of the whole country and according to Wiki almost all of them would speak English also.

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it is far from the most important factor in people visiting Scotland, very far.

It is vastly more important to learn French, etc as they can actually be used productively. I think if you want to talk about Gaelic we should also be talking about Scots which I believe to be much more widespread. Its also something that an SNP MSP decided was a good use of public money, to complain that supermarkets 'imposed' on us names like potatoes instead of tatties.
How many of the 100% of pupils in my school who learnt French have actually gone on to use that? 1 girl went away to study French, alongside Spanish and she has now dropped it for history. I think it would be much more useful if Gaelic was the main subject and people who want to learn French had the opportunity to as a smaller subject.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
What use is Gaelic?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts