Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the publication "Cities Ranked and Rated", Gainesville is the best city in the country. This is added to G'ville's #1 ranking in Money Magazine back in '95. Yes, yes, I know that these 'lists' shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it is still a feather in G'ville's cap, especially considering other Florida/Southern cities rarely, if ever, top these lists.

If any of you out there have ever lived in or visited G'ville, what is your opinion of this town?

Also, does it seem that only "particular" types of cities only seem to top these lists? When I looked at the top 10 on this list, as well as other types of these kinds of lists, it seems that they are usually 'granola' cities, with liberal populations/politics, and antigrowth, and usually located in states like Colorado, Idaho, or New Hampshire. Just my observation. What's yours?

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
I remember the "Most liveable City" rankings where Gainesville was No.1 at least a couple of times. I think Seattle was No.1 on that list as well.

Gainesville is much better now than it was in the early Nineties. DT is built up much more; less homeless; more patrons and residents; even that old plaza that was on University just west of 34th St. has been revamped with new development--- I think the one that had the old cinema in it.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
G'ville is ranked #1 in everything isn't (refering to championships, please don't flame me for saying this).
Well im sure its a great city to start a family and go to school but its also probably #1 for boring in florida. What exactly is rated #1 in?

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Gainesville is a good town. good neighborhoods; good roads; their downtown scene is really nice & trendy/artsy; UF is awesome and all the amenities it provides the community; there are clubs; shopping; parks; springs; etc.

I lived there for 5 years- then moved to paradise, aka, Atlanta.

Gainesville or any town will be boring if you don't know anybody. I had a blast when I was there, but I did get tired of it b/c of its size...

new projects near downtown and UF are beginning to materialize-- really nice urban infill projects.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I currently live in Gainesville. I ended up staying here after completing grad school at UF. Gainesville is a nice, laid-back place to raise your family. It's a nice place to be in school as well. Most of the nightlife is geared towards college students. And, if you get bored with Gainesville, you're within a 2 hour drive of 3 of that states 4 big metro areas -- Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa.

It has a nice natural environment. The area has done a pretty good job in maintaining the trees, even in the newer developments.

If you're a Christian, there are churches EVERYWHERE!

For a smaller metro, I would say the politics are fairly progressive. Also, because of UF, there actually is a good amount of culture in the way of concerts, art exhibits, speakers, forums, etc.

I would say that Gainesville is NOT the best place to be a young, single, upwardly mobile professional. If you're not in school, or not settled, you would probably be bored in Gainesville, and spend lots of weekends in J'ville, ORL or TPA. The housing here is not all that cheap, either, compared to what jobs are paying. Also, it's not really the best place for career advancement. UF, Shands, the School Board and City/County government are the biggest employers. There really isn't a whole lot after that (well, maybe Nationwide). The elected officials are really committed to changing this, though. In 10 or 15 years, it might be a place worth considering for a recent college graduate, but not right now.

Overall, I wouldn't rate Gainesville as my #1 place, but it's decent.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm a junior at UF and have mixed feelings towards G-Ville. It has a very good mass-transit system, friendly locals, good weather and plenty of UF sponsored activities but it's far from the best city in the country.

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Ehh no way Gainesville is number 1. I've visited friends many times there, and other then UF, there is nothing to do in that town. The traffic is horrible, way worse in relation to its actual size compared with somewhere like Tampa. It can sometimes take 30 mins just to go from the interstate to the campus.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Gainesville is a great place to raise a family, and to go to college.

Young single professionals probably won't like it very much because of the lack of jobs for them. It also loses its appeal once your college friends are all gone and you are left behind. It gets much harder to meet people as a single professional here when you aren't associated with the University. Also, going to the clubs in town with a bunch of 18-21 year olds gets old when you are in your mid to late 20's and 30's. You just don't fit in anymore with the kids at these places.

The job market is not what it is in bigger cities so unless you can find a job at Shands, UF, some of the government agencies........your options to make a decent living will be limited. Wages are depressed in what industries Gainesville has by the amount of college kids and college grads who will work for next to nothing to gain experience.

Traffic is only bad around the University, Archer, and Newberry roads and only during certain times of the day. The rest of Gainesville is a breeze compared to Orlando or South Florida traffic.

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Traffic is only bad around the University, Archer, and Newberry roads and only during certain times of the day. The rest of Gainesville is a breeze compared to Orlando or South Florida traffic.
But those are the only two ways to get into the city from the interstate! And I didnt necessarily say it had worse traffic then Tampa or Orlando, what I meant was for a city like Gainesville's size to have that much bad traffic is worse proportionally to the traffic see in Tampa.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You should try the 39th avenue exit to the north or williston road exit to the south if archer or newberry are backed up.

Gainesville has a relatively small population, but it's very dense, especially the southwest part of town around the university.

The areas around the University have densities of 4000 to 8000+ persons per square mile.

Compare that to Tampa where the most dense areas have about 10,000 persons per square mile.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have lived here 6 years now. i have to say that while the west is very suburban, and college area is nice, the east is in total disarray. commercial districts line shell roads and are frequented only by some of the poorest blacks i have ever seen, and I have always lived in Florida. It is very depressing here, knowing that this mock-up segregated community of the 1920s is still alive here. i do not know how a totally impoverished city, in a terrible part of the state, consistently does well in the rankings except that such magazines look at things like hospitals (we have a university so of course ours are very good), schools for overprivledged suburbanites (we have professors so of course the magnets are very good, too bad for the students who have no shoes, they go to a 'special' school), and congestion (its bad here, but its still a small town in the end). it is definately nicer here than in the past, even in the past 6 years, but this place is still a shining example of the failures and suffering that plague the south 40 years after segregation ended.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts